GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,163
1 members and 1,162 guests
Low D Flat

Old 01-10-2006, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

rush help

I'm going to informal rush events that start in a few days. The problem is that most of the events focus on food like an ice cream social, a bbq, and a potluck. I weigh 275 pounds so I'm on a strict diet. How do I politly turn down eating at these events without the sorority members thinking I'm rude or not interested and without drawing extra attention to my weight?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Mention you are pre-diabetic.

People will stop shoving food in your face for it.

And eat before the event, that way you are less prone to have a second meal. I did that when I was rushing. (I am a type 1 diabetic.) The girls knew that, so it was fine if I didn't want to indulge in ice cream and pizza.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not. But it's a somewhat serious answer... *Shrugs*

Last edited by JenMarie; 01-10-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a medical condition that basically means that i am pre diabetic. What i usually do in situations is just what the previous poster mentioned. I politely say that i am on a diet, i might mention it is cause of a medical condition, and i say that i would like to, but unfortunatly i need to watch what i eat. I usually then say something about how good the food looks and express how i wish that I could have some.

I am not going through rush so i am not sure of what would be acceptable in that situation, but for me this is what seems to work.

I would suggest as other people mention all the time to ask your rush counselor what would be appropriate and what would not.

good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Say no thank you and keep the conversation going. This should work in early rounds and at pref, you can have your Rho Chi advise your pref houses if there is anything special they need to know in advance. I would presume food is more of a focus at pref as the other parties. Food is not the focus of recruitment. If you don't make it that way, the chapters won't either.

If you had a peanut or wheat allergy, I would give you the same advise.

Denise

Last edited by Denise_DPhiE; 01-10-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Re: rush help

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinedaisy
I'm going to informal rush events that start in a few days. The problem is that most of the events focus on food like an ice cream social, a bbq, and a potluck. I weigh 275 pounds so I'm on a strict diet. How do I politly turn down eating at these events without the sorority members thinking I'm rude or not interested and without drawing extra attention to my weight?
Just politely say, no thank you. If pressed, let them know you are on a medically supervised eating plan and you ate before you arrived.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. Either politely decline (without giving your entire medical history) or accept a plate and just hold it.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Say "No, thank you" and don't give them a reason. I think it would be somewhat rude for them to ask why not.