GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,413
2 members and 1,411 guests
acg233, naraht

Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

How She Met Her Sisters - My Cousin's Recruitment (Live!)

Hi everyone! So I don't know why I agreed to write this for my cousin "Abby" (name has been changed) when her recruitment was going on at the same time as BG's, but whatever. So without further ado, let's get started!

I will not say what college she goes to, but I will say it's not BG and not in Ohio. She also does not live in Ohio.

Her college has 18 sororities on campus.

The code will be characters from How I Met Your Mother, because it is her and I's very favorite show.

They are:
Robin
Ted
Barney
Marshall
Lily
Marvin
Stella
The Mother
Daughter
Son
Victoria
Patrice
Wendy the Waitress
Ranjit
Carl
Nora
Quinn
Zoey

Recruitment started this passed weekend. Friday was recruitment orientation and Saturday & Sunday she visited all 18 sororities. She got to go to their houses (but not tour yet, that was on Monday & Tuesday) and talk to some members.

First Round:
Robin - Loved their house! Thought the girls were nice but didn't know exactly what to think.
Ted - Said their house was cute but didn't know if she could see herself living there, but that might change on tour days. Was a tad intimidated by the girls though (she's a little shy).
Barney - Her roommate's sister was a Barney at her respective college so Abby knew quite a bit about them. She LOVED Barney. She clicked with everyone she talked to!
Marshall - Abby had a so-so experience here. She didn't tell me much about Marshall other than she felt really awkward there.
Lily - HOLY CRAP She couldn't stop talking about Lily!!! She loved their house so far, loved the girls, and loved hearing the stories about their sisterhood. She didn't want to leave!
Marvin - Abby is a legacy to this house, but the member we're related to is not anyone we're really close to, so she didn't feel pressured to be a Marvin. She liked the girls, but didn't feel a huge connection to them.
Stella - Stella was newly re-colonized on this campus. She liked them but she didn't talk about them much.
The Mother - She liked The Mother a lot!!! She said The Mother's girls were super welcoming and their house was stunning.
Daughter -She didn't have much to say about these girls, other than that they were pretty but seemed a bit standoffish.
Son - Loved the bit of the house that she saw. Didn't say much (she was tired) but said that they looked like they had a very strong sisterhood.
Victoria - These girls have a bit of a bad reputation on campus, but Abby loved them!!! Said that she really felt connected and hoped they'd invite her back!
Patrice - Had a very bad experience here. Said her rusher really didn't treat her the way a rusher should...like she was totally uninterested in Abby and almost kind of "mocked" her about being from the state she is from. She did not want to come back to Patrice. At all.
Wendy the Waitress - She love, love, LOVED it at Wendy!! She said that by far these girls were the nicest.
Ranjit - Has a certain reputation on campus (nothing too bad, just offputting) but said that the girls were super nice and seemed to have a strong bond. She would love to be invited back!
Carl - This is one of the "top" houses on campus, so Abby thought she'd love it here. But she did not feel comfortable at this house. They asked her some weird questions "what does your father do for a living?" "What celebrity would you date?" etc) and seemed stuck up. She did not want to be asked back.
Nora - This is one of the "top" houses on campus as well. After going to Carl, Abby was afraid Nora was going to be snobby as well - but they pleasantly surprised her! She had a wonderful conversation with a member and said she definitely wants to be invited back.
Quinn - She didn't have an opinion either way about Quinn. She said her rusher didn't talk about the sorority much at all. She only talked about school...so Abby didn't know what to think.
Zoey - Abby heard (ugh, tent talk) that Zoey had one of the highest drop rates on campus, so she was worried. When went into the house, though, she was confused as to why. She thought they seemed sweet and though they weren't her favorite, she would be happy to be asked back.

This is the rank (in her mind at least):
  1. Lily
  2. Wendy the Waitress
  3. Victoria
  4. Nora
  5. The Mother
  6. Barney
  7. Ranjit
  8. Robin
  9. Zoey
  10. Marvin
  11. Quinn
  12. Stella
  13. Daughter
And then her bottom five were:

14. Ted
15. Son
16. Marshall
17. Carl
18. Patrice

Today (Tuesday) is the second day of house tours round, where she could see up to 13 sororities. She said she will call me tonight to tell me how it goes!
🌙
BGSU

Last edited by GammaPhiAud; 09-11-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: She asked me to take out her hometown. Whoops!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
18. Patrice
DAMNIT PATRICE!!!!!

(That's why you chose that name for that chapter, right? It's going to show up on her schedule over and over and everytime she/I will go DAMMIT PATRICE!!!! NO ONE ASKED YOU)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Fun! Looking forward to reading more.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
DAMNIT PATRICE!!!!!

(That's why you chose that name for that chapter, right? It's going to show up on her schedule over and over and everytime she/I will go DAMMIT PATRICE!!!! NO ONE ASKED YOU)
How did you guess? Yep, she got Patrice again. (NOBODY ASKED YOU HERE, PATRICE!) She called me and was quite annoyed. More on that later, I'm currently writing her results from yesterday and today's round!
🌙
BGSU
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

....whoops double post.....
🌙
BGSU

Last edited by GammaPhiAud; 09-10-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: oops
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay so I'm sure this is pretty rough since I wrote it in a very short time. Abby called me to tell me her schedule this morning, and then just called to tell me how it went.

She got her schedule for the day, and these were the houses she was invited back to:
Robin
Lily
Marvin
The Mother
Son
Patrice
Wendy the Waitress
Ranjit
Nora
Zoey
Quinn

Abby was so upset to lose Victoria and Barney, and was really upset to have Patrice (DAMMIT, PATRICE!) on her schedule again. But she continued on with a smile on her face and a positive outlook.

House tours:

Robin - She was happy to go back to get to know Robin a little more. The girls she was paired up with were extremely nice. But it still felt “eh” to her. (HA HA, get it?! “Eh”! Cause Robin is Canadian?! Anyone? *dodges tomato* Sigh, okay…)

The Mother - WOW she loved the house!! And the girls, she said, were so excited to see her again! She felt like she could really fit in at The Mother.

Lily - She said that their house already felt like home. She again had an amazing time and the girl she was paired up with was SO nice and super passionate about their sisterhood. She wanted to be a Lily!!

Son - She said that she saw that their sisterhood was strong, but she just didn’t feel like she fit in at Son. She felt out of place and a tad awkward. She didn’t want to be invited back, but would be okay if she was.

Marvin - Abby still wasn’t feeling the connection with the girls, but she knew she had to keep an open mind and maybe everything would fall into place. But right now, it didn’t seem likely.

Patrice - She was upset that she got Patrice on her schedule, but she decided to give them another chance. Unfortunately, she was paired with the same girl from last time!! And it was no better. The girl kept calling her “Suburban Girl” instead of her name. She felt disrespected and wondered why the girl was doing that. Was she trying to be funny? Abby didn’t know, but she knew she would not be happy if she returned to Patrice.

Wendy the Waitress - Again, she LOVED Wendy the Waitress!!! She had great conversations and loved the house. She said she really wanted to be asked back, as she knew she fit in with them well!!!

Ranjit -
She adored the girl who was rushing her! And she loved their house and said that she could tell that the girls loved Ranjit!!!

Nora -
This house disappointed her this round. The girl she talked to was standoffish and didn’t seem interested in talking to her. She left Nora with a bad taste in her mouth.

Zoey -
She loved learning about living in the house! She said the girl who was rushing her was so nice and they had a great talk about what sisterhood meant to them. She wanted to get asked back to Zoey!

Quinn -
She had a better conversation today, and learned more about their sisterhood and what it is like to live in the house. But she just didn’t see herself as a Quinn.

She didn't have too tough of a time ranking them, but it still was a tad stressful.

Top 8:
1. Lily
2. Wendy the Waitress
3. The Mother
4. Ranjit
5. Zoey
6. Robin
7. Marvin
8. Quinn

Bottom 3:
9. Son
10. Nora
11. Patrice

Rounds start around 1:30 her time and go until like 9:30 so the post might be pretty late. But I'll get it done!!
🌙
BGSU

Last edited by GammaPhiAud; 09-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband and I are huge HIMYM fans... and we both have a small obsession with Ranjit. So I'm going to root for them!

Love the theme- I hope she finds a great sisterhood.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhiAud View Post
Patrice - She was upset that she got Patrice on her schedule, but she decided to give them another chance. Unfortunately, she was paired with the same girl from last time!! And it was no better. The girl kept calling her “Suburban Girl” instead of her name. She felt disrespected and wondered why the girl was doing that. Was she trying to be funny? Abby didn’t know, but she knew she would not be happy if she returned to Patrice.
What the eff? It sounds like this rusher's filter is in the garage.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What the eff? It sounds like this rusher's filter is in the garage.
I thought the same thing. I am seriously wondering if maybe she thinks she's being funny......like maybe she's one of those people who think their jokes are hilarious and impressive but actually they are mean and unfunny.

I told Abby, if (by some horrible chance) she talks to that girl again (dear god no) and the member continues to act that way, then Abby needs to talk to her RC or the Greek Life office about it. That is NOT a way to treat a PNM, period.
🌙
BGSU
Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Aww she didn't go back to my sorority. Hope her recruitment is going well. Tomorrow is philanthropy, Thursday pref, then Friday is bid day!!! I can't wait to find out where she ends up. So cool to finally see a thread about my school
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, yep you're right!! It's your school. Keep it private for now, though, just because Abby is paranoid about privacy =P she said she did like Stella but she figured it just wasn't meant to be.

And thanks! So far, so good. She said she'll call me with her schedule for today later tonight, so I'll keep you all updated!!
🌙
BGSU

Last edited by GammaPhiAud; 09-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhiAud View Post
Wow, yep you're right!! It's your school. Keep it private for now, though, just because Abby is paranoid about privacy =P she said she did like Stella but she figured it just wasn't meant to be.
Appropriate name for AOII...Stella (Not the character, just the name since one of our founders is named Stella!)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. You guys are also so funny with the "Dammit Patrice" and everything else. For some reason I was feeling a little grouchy this morning (probably has to do with Illinois being an absolute sauna right now...we almost hit 100 degrees yesterday.)
Summer is not my season...I love the Fall!
Looking forward to your updates and sending your cousin the very best!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Appropriate name for AOII...Stella (Not the character, just the name since one of our founders is named Stella!)
Oh my goodness!!! That is hilarious, I didn't even know that! What a cool coincidence!

And DG Illinois, I know how you feel! BG is a sauna as well. It got up to 97 degrees yesterday - even the 3 fans I have in my room didn't help. I'm glad my cousin's recruitment story cheered you up!

Abby just texted me saying how nervous she is...she still has a few hours before picking up her schedule but she's already freaking out. She hopes she impressed the ones she loved enough to be asked back--I'll keep you all posted!!!
🌙
BGSU
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

GammaPhiAud...I will be thinking of Abby all day and I am hopeful this afternoon goes well for her. It's really hard to wait with nothing else on your mind. I remember getting my bid list and it takes a few minutes to figure out who is not on there. I remember looking back and then again and it didn't matter what house it was...I was just felt bad that they didn't want me. Of course we all know so much more now, but when you're the pnm you don't realize the volume of girls and cuts that need to take place each round in recruitment.