GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086

Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwest View Post
Well, due to the advice from above, I've deleted the "reputations" and a locational reference about myself. I do realize that I can't rush online and I will rush this spring. There is no doubt about that, but when it comes to something as serious as this, I like to do my homework ahead of time.
You can do all the online homework that you want, but it doesn't change the fact that no matter how great of a match you and whatever fraternity might appear to be through a computer screen, you could walk into their house and immediately hate all of them - or vice versa.

Put it this way: have you ever checked out a girl online, thought she was beautiful and nice, and then met her in person and couldn't wait to get away from her? As much as this generation does live their lives online, you still can't tell individual chemistry (friend wise or relationship wise) through a keyboard.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Quote:
As, for the group of guys, it is something that I want to be "apart" of as I stated.
No, honey. "Apart" means separate from. I believe the words you're looking for are "a part of" or "a member of," implying that you actually want to be near them.
Actually, if you read what he said, he was using apart of intentionally and with an understanding of what it meant:
Quote:
As, for the group of guys, it is something that I want to be "apart" of as I stated. Yes, this does seem counterintuitive, but I am essentially saying that I want to have a group that I can relate to, learn from, and enjoy. Ultimately though, I realize I am an individual and that no one will make my decisions for me and make me who I am. I will decide all of that for myself, which is the simply individualism. I want to find a happy medium between the group and the individual.
Maybe not the clearest way to make the point, but this doesn't seem to be the frequently-seen case of someone who doesn't know the difference between apart from and a part of.

rcwest, we understand the desire to educate yourself. But the answer to the question can only be found by actually meeting the guys in each chapter and deciding for yourself where you would fit best, while they also decide if you would fit with them.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry for my grammatical mistakes. I am not an English major. It's really immature to ridicule me for my grammatical errors when that isn't the picture we are looking at. I think I would appreciate words of wisdom regarding the Greek system and fraternities rather than criticism on my grammatical skills.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I would appreciate words of wisdom regarding the Greek system
You got that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
your best bet is going to be actually meeting the guys and getting to know them on a personal level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
As for the question I did quote, only you can answer that question by meeting the guys in the chapters at UF and finding out who you click with. No one, certainly not random strangers on the internet, can tell you what fraternity is the best fit for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Ok, so we can now do many things online: shop, take classes, bank, research, hold meetings, pay bills, clock some hours at work....but you still can't rush online. Go do the same thing you did just now, only in person this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
Well we can only help so much. Go out & get to know the guys, that's the only way you'll find out which one is a good fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Honestly, reading individual testimonies on the internet is not really going to be helpful when it comes to really getting to know a fraternity. Instead focus on meeting the guys now, and make even more of an effort in the spring. They ARE the fraternity you'll possibly be joining. You need to meet the actual members of these different fraternities in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You can do all the online homework that you want, but it doesn't change the fact that no matter how great of a match you and whatever fraternity might appear to be through a computer screen, you could walk into their house and immediately hate all of them - or vice versa.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I would appreciate words of wisdom regarding the Greek system and fraternities rather than criticism on my grammatical skills.
You've been given the best wisdom we can give you. Meet the guys and make your decision. Understand that chapters of the same fraternity at different schools can be very different from one another and can have completely different "personalities," so the only people from whom you can get any reliable information about the "vibes" or feels of the chapters you're interested in are the members of those chapters, or perhaps others at UF who know those chapters well.

Either way, personal interaction is the only way to get a reliable answer. If we try to offer you anything else, we're really not helping you at all.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Put it this way: have you ever checked out a girl online, thought she was beautiful and nice, and then met her in person and couldn't wait to get away from her? As much as this generation does live their lives online, you still can't tell individual chemistry (friend wise or relationship wise) through a keyboard.
I find this to be the most wise bit yet. I do agree that I will never know until I actually meet the people. As I stated, I am doing my homework. I will rush just like everyone else, but I don't want to go into the whole process blind. I think this shows some eagerness on my part. I have actually found phone numbers of the recruitment officers of the respectively named fraternities and will be contacting them shortly. I know how to socialize. That is not an issue. I am currently a Resident Assistant here at UF and wouldn't have been selected for the position otherwise. I have one of the top communities in the area due my engagement with my residents. Thus, it isn't like I am one of those guys who does nothing but Facebook (yes, I just made that a verb for the grammar police) all day. I am the guy who sees somebody he knows walking on campus and goes up and talks to him/her. I am not shy by any means and those who know me would say I am very outgoing. To reiterate, I figured it wouldn't help to ask around for advice. I am never afraid to admit my ignorance regarding certain subjects. This is one I am very ignorant with and I just simply want to learn more or as much as I can before I delve into the process.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, MC, he Calvined your Hobbs!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You know, you are allowed to talk to men in fraternities throughout the year. You don't have to wait for rush.

Also, I'm pretty sure you are a troll, because if you are an RA, you'd already be in your second year at UF.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes "Knight_Shadow", I did get "that". All six of those quotes say the same thing essentially. I know meeting the brothers will be the ultimate determinant, but I would still like information on the Greek system itself and why it can be so beneficial of a lifestyle. I have several questions, so here we go. What advantages academically does a Fraternity provide? What advantages would my fraternal background have when entering my career? Basically, I understand the "brotherhood" aspect of a fraternity by this point. I realize that is most important, but there are external benefits as well. I want to know more about those too. I want to be sold the system completely.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Question #1: Study halls, grade requirements to hold office/be able to attend parties, scholarships, test and note files from classes

Question #2: Networking, networking, networking....

But you should have already known all this if you've been on campus this long.....
Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes "Knight_Shadow", I did get "that". All six of those quotes say the same thing essentially.
That should tell you something.

Quote:
I know meeting the brothers will be the ultimate determinant, but I would still like information on the Greek system itself and why it can be so beneficial of a lifestyle. I have several questions, so here we go. What advantages academically does a Fraternity provide? What advantages would my fraternal background have when entering my career? Basically, I understand the "brotherhood" aspect of a fraternity by this point. I realize that is most important, but there are external benefits as well. I want to know more about those too. I want to be sold the system completely.
We're not here to "sell" the system to you.

There are several threads on GC about the benefits of Greek life. I'm sure that UF's IFC website has the Greek statistics that pop up all over the place. Your Greek experience is going to be based on what you put in it.

The mere fact that you are a member of an organization does not mean you automatically get 37% more job leads. The organizations prepare you with tools that can assist you in "the real world," though.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I am a Sophomore. I don't know what you mean by "troll", but I'll pretend it wasn't meant to be offensive. I am not returning next year as an RA as it is way too stressful. I can't stand the constant scrutiny nor can I stand many of the other RAs who try to define perfection with their every move.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it our job to "sell" you on Greek life? 99% of us here don't have a personal stake in what happens at UF...and come on, it's UF...the Greek system there will go on whether you are a part of it or apart of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

All it told me was narrow-mindedness, but I do agree with that common statement. I have searched UF's IFC website up and down and read about each and every fraternity here. I know brothers at several fraternities and have great connections at a couple. Quite honestly, I don't feel I will have trouble getting into any of the three I named. I am doing extra or all I can do outside of speaking with the brothers. I want to go into this with of the information I can have. I have heard too many negative stories and I don't want to be one in the future spitting a negative story.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

If you know a lot of people, you should be speaking with them. I could tell you how Greek life affected me at MY alma mater, but it would be irrelevant -- I didn't go to UF.

This is why people keep telling you to meet with the brothers and get your questions answered that way.

For general information, you need to do a search on this site.