GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,460
0 members and 1,460 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
Agreed, low grade girls get cut heavy. I'm mostly just disputing the mediocre part of the thread title, because a girl can most definitely, and most likely will, get in a sorority with mediocre grades. no one is getting released entirely from recruitment because of a 3.2. (which was clarified in the body paragraph, I just feel like having that in the title is misleading).

I would consider my grades at the time bad, so yeah my story is probably the exception. I was released entirely from my first recruitment. The second time around I did spring recruitment (which I recommend to anyone with a lower GPA, since they don't have to make as many heavy cuts in the beginning and they get to know your personality more), and not all sororities do spring recruitment on my campus. Only 4 of the 12 participated this year, I believe. So, were my options severely limited because of my grades, both times? Yes!!! But I got into the #1 house that I had been hoping for since the first time around and I couldn't be happier. I feel even more grateful knowing that even though i wasn't the ideal PNM on paper, they still saw something in me that made them want to have me as a sister.
The bolded is my point. When you are going through recruitment with low grades, you are going to be limited.

If you don't care how many options you have, then go you.

However, I feel like every PNM needs to put themselves in the BEST position to maximize their options. Your GPA has the power to take chapter's off the table before you even start. Why do that to yourself? You basically shoot yourself in the foot before recruitment starts.

Ex: Let's say there are 5 chapters on campus. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Kappa, Delta.

Alpha and Beta's GPA is a 3.5
Gamma is a 3.2
Kappa is a 3.0.
Delta is a 2.85.

If you have a 3.6, your grades are golden for every chapter. Are those a 4.0? No but you put yourself in the best spot to be able to consider everyone. Even if they cut you down the line, at least you are not getting cut on day one due to grades and you have the opportunity to meet everyone.

If you have a 3.1, can you still get a bid? Sure. You still have grades for Kappa and Delta, but you just limited your pool by 2 chapters.

5 options > being automatically limited to 2.

Sidenote: I don't know what school you're at but grades matter for spring recruitment as well. I've worked with collegiate chapters of my sorority at a number of schools and the GPA is still a requirement even during smaller spring recruitment. My chapters were not permitted to bid anyone below the minimum at any time.

You may have been a rare exception. Which is why I responded to this. Sure it is great you got a bid with a subpar GPA but I definitely do not want any PNMs thinking this happens all the time, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I was at a graduation party last weekend, and the honoree's elder brother is in a fraternity. He & I talked, and he told me that the ADPi chapter at his school required a 3.75 for initiation. I was shocked, impressed, and dismayed, all at the same time!
Yes! I was recently at our Convention and I am routinely impressed with how high some of the HS GPA requirements are on our campuses.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2019, 12:38 PM

Re spring recruitment, if anything sororities should probably look at grades MORE because if you’re doing it, you’re probably one of the smaller chapters, and (example) 5 rotten GPAs will mess up the average of a 123 person chapter more than that of a 200 person chapter.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
The bolded is my point. When you are going through recruitment with low grades, you are going to be limited.

If you don't care how many options you have, then go you.

However, I feel like every PNM needs to put themselves in the BEST position to maximize their options. Your GPA has the power to take chapter's off the table before you even start. Why do that to yourself? You basically shoot yourself in the foot before recruitment starts.

Ex: Let's say there are 5 chapters on campus. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Kappa, Delta.

Alpha and Beta's GPA is a 3.5
Gamma is a 3.2
Kappa is a 3.0.
Delta is a 2.85.

If you have a 3.6, your grades are golden for every chapter. Are those a 4.0? No but you put yourself in the best spot to be able to consider everyone. Even if they cut you down the line, at least you are not getting cut on day one due to grades and you have the opportunity to meet everyone.

If you have a 3.1, can you still get a bid? Sure. You still have grades for Kappa and Delta, but you just limited your pool by 2 chapters.

5 options > being automatically limited to 2.

Sidenote: I don't know what school you're at but grades matter for spring recruitment as well. I've worked with collegiate chapters of my sorority at a number of schools and the GPA is still a requirement even during smaller spring recruitment. My chapters were not permitted to bid anyone below the minimum at any time.

You may have been a rare exception. Which is why I responded to this. Sure it is great you got a bid with a subpar GPA but I definitely do not want any PNMs thinking this happens all the time, you know?

Yes! I was recently at our Convention and I am routinely impressed with how high some of the HS GPA requirements are on our campuses.
I agree with everything you're saying, I think we're just making different points. I think girls are more likely to go into recruitment overly discouraged than overly confident, so if what you meant is that mediocre grades merely limit your options rather than obliterate them, than the thread title should've been less decisive or should've just focused on low grades. There's nothing a PNM can do about their grades at this point anyway, so i'm just trying to highlight how it's still worth trying provided they keep their expectations realistic and work on other important elements of the process.

I go to a SEC school with has a large, competitive Greek system. Arguably one of the better and more competitive ones in the country. Just as you wouldn't want PNM's to think my situation happens all the time, I don't want a PNM to think they are going to get released from recruitment so it's not even worth a shot anyway.

I understand where you are coming from though, I'm sure there's a lot of posts on here about "chances" with low gpa's from people not understanding the importance of grades in the process whatsoever, and that probably gets annoying. But I am just trying to speak encouragingly on the matter as someone who has been in the recruitment process recently.

Sorry if I implied grades don't matter in spring recruitment. What I meant was, because of the length and casual atmosphere of the parties, you get to meet more members and know them more than during a typical first day ice water round, where the low grade girls would be likely to experience heavy cuts. They have a better chance on making an impression that can help overcome a grade deficit.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Re spring recruitment, if anything sororities should probably look at grades MORE because if you’re doing it, you’re probably one of the smaller chapters, and (example) 5 rotten GPAs will mess up the average of a 123 person chapter more than that of a 200 person chapter.
This! When I worked with smaller chapters, they were almost MORE particular about grades because when your chapter has 35 women, 2-3 low GPAs really kill your average.

Lakers Nation.