GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,801
Threads: 115,435
Welcome to our newest member, KarolinF74
» Online Users: 122
0 members and 122 guests
No Members online

Old 05-24-2009, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Personally, I've never really "gotten" GLOs based on who you do or don't date. To each their own on that, I suppose, but in your particular situation, already being a member of a social sorority, how would that work anyway? From what I've seen, others of these types of orgs (membership centered around who's kissing who) count as social GLOs rather than professional, etc. How would yours be different?
You mean there already are GLOs like this?!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You mean there already are GLOs like this?!
The LBGT groups and all the variations thereof. (Is a sorority for girls who tend to date outside their race than a sorority specifically for girls who are "manly" lesbians? I mean, if that's what you feel you need sorority-wise, whatever. It's still social, IMO.)
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyGal View Post
Hi again everyone.

I can TOTALLY assure you that this org is serving a need not met. It's primarily for women in interracial relationships. Is that racist? Not really, because it's also open to the women who support them. I can't really get into it much, but please trust that I'm not another wanna be founder who just wants to create something to have something to do.

Someone asked how my NPHC sisters feel about this. I've not yet shared this with any of them. Primarily because I've found myself somewhat dismayed at the sheer and utter disdain within my own org, for the work and importance of other orgs. I am not here to knock my org, and for that reason, I won't name it, but I'm saddened by the inter-racism, elitist attitutudes, and the notion that there "really are only TWO AA sororities that matter, you know", nonsense that I've had to deal with. It was shocking when I crossed, and even worse now that I'm an adult. There are some Sorors who are close to me, who I will eventually share this with, but for the most part, I'm steering clear of sharing this with the whole chapter. I do, thankfully, have women within my org that I can seek help from with this possible sorority formation.

Any further advice would be much appreciated!

-Thanks
GOOD LORD ::::
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Yup, sounds like founderitis to me. Focus on making your own org better and being the change that you seek and start a support group instead of a sorority.

I think that this statement sums it up. I agree 100% with this statement. Try to find ways to improve your organization or search out your sorority sisters that are in similar relationships and get support from them.

Alpha Sigma Alpha's are Hotties... It's Obvious
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
The LBGT groups and all the variations thereof. (Is a sorority for girls who tend to date outside their race than a sorority specifically for girls who are "manly" lesbians? I mean, if that's what you feel you need sorority-wise, whatever. It's still social, IMO.)
I agree it's a crazy idea. But it seems different to me from a LBGT-specific org.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by libramunoz View Post
And you want to start a sorority for this? It really doesn't make any sense to have a or organization for "interracial relationships." This sounds like more of a self-help group or yeah, just a self-help group, not a sorority need.
Reminds me of a sorority my high school friends and I started Gamma Alpha Sigma - Guys are $hit. Hey, we were in HS and went out with idiots. As each of us found good guys to date, we no longer had any reason to be in GAS. So, it went up in smoke
Old 05-26-2009, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
Reminds me of a sorority my high school friends and I started Gamma Alpha Sigma - Guys are $hit. Hey, we were in HS and went out with idiots. As each of us found good guys to date, we no longer had any reason to be in GAS. So, it went up in smoke
Yes, the essential crash and burn!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Ours was Mu Alpha Delta - Men Are Dicks.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM

LOL
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
As someone who's been in an IR for 5 years as of this week, I really would not pay money and spend time to initiate into something like this. It's too much effort.
What I DO do is spend time with my friends who are supportive (which all of them are). None of my sisters have ever publicly made an issue about the fact that my bf is white hispanic and i am black. But then again...most of them are hispanic. I have found that there are blogs out there which meet my "supportive" (if you could call it that) needs. But I was doing just fine without them. Stank eye in the mall from a hater is THE HATER'S problem, not mine.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I read that as "someone who's been in IR" and was wondering what International Relations had to do with sororities.

I'm pretty sure watching So You Think You Can Dance on Fox makes me dumb.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:

hahah!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's way funny.

I might have to start up a chapter of Gamma Alpha Sigma here in Texas