GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,137
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asydneytianov33
» Online Users: 1,037
2 members and 1,035 guests
asydneytianov33, Mooch279

Old 06-12-2003, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

How does Being in the League affected a potential member's chances

I was a member of Kappa Leadership League since 2001, and for the most part i have recieved nothing but love from all of the Kappa's I have come across ( not just our advisors). However, I was wondering how you would feel or respond to someone who was seeking membership who were a Kappa League member in high school. I was told that many people in Kappa League didn't make Kappa Alpha Psi because they have too much pride ( you know thinking that they would be guaranteed membership and so forth) I will be attending college this fall and i was just wondering.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Being a member of Kappa League in no way guarantees you membership into Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. Understand that when you step foot on that campus you are on equal footing with every other black male who is interested in the fraternity. Kappa League, although affiliated we the fraternity, is not a breeding ground for future members. Study hard, be committed to service, and ACHIEVE in all your future endeavors. And then, only then will you even be qualified to submit yourself for membership consideration. Your main goal right now, is to prepare yourself for college and all the challenges that lie ahead. I wish you blessings on your coming academic journey.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Nupe4Life....I agree with you 100%

As Nupe4Life stated, you should first study hard so you can have the GPA to even attempt to make the KUT!! Once you step foot on campus you will see that the comp. is rough, the ladies you have might count for 5%, your apperance might count for 5%, but your GPA will count 90%. If the GPA is a 3.0, you might want to push for a 3.3+, DON'T BE AVERAGE because I am sure that none of the NUPES at the school you plan on attending are!

You have to first make the KUT to get in it!
Old 06-19-2003, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Thanks to all

I thank all of you who have replied so far. Just to let you all know I never felt that me being in the League was going to make me an automatic bid for K A Psi, I just know some Kappa's who felt that way. In fact I didn't plan on letting anyone know I was in the League, unless it just so happens to come up, for the simple fact that I didn't want anyone to assume I was planning on pledging K A Psi before that time actually comes. I know how important being humble and discreet is going to be in order for anyone to become a member of such a great organization. Much love to all the men wearing Krimson and Kream, cause we all know that if not for Kappa Alpha Psi, there could be no Kappa Leadership League.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Nupe4life you said they "are on equal footing with every other black male who is interested in the fraternity" Do y'all not allow white guys in? I looked at your National Office's website and didn't see anything in there that excluded whites, hispanics or anyone of a different color/ethnicity other than black. Don't you think you should be a little bit more politically correct? I'm not trying to be a smartass, so please don't take it that way.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I am obviously not a member of KAPsi, but i will say that i am confident in the fact that Kappa Alpha Psi does not descriminate on the basis of race. I believe he said that so as to make a point to me that just beacuse i was a member of the League doesn't grant me an advance standing when it comes time for me to seek membership. I can assure you no racial descrimination was meant to be implied.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not in Kappa Alpha Psi either, instead I'm in Kappa Alpha Order. I wasn't saying he was trying to imply anything about discriminating. I was just bringing up a feeling some who is on the outside looking in might get, you know how some people are very sensitive. I just think anyone who is associated with KAPsi would know he is not discriminating against any culture/race/ethnicity but someone who isn't might think it did imply only blacks are allowed in....that's what I meant as being politically correct.

Last edited by kafromTN; 07-03-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

kafromTN,

I do not believe that Nupe4Life said anything inappropriate or that eludes to the fact that they only accept Black interestees. But Kappa Alpha Psi, is one of the Divine Nine Black Greek Letter Organizations to which mostly Blacks seek membership. None of our esteemed organizations are for Blacks only. But they were founded for African American students by African American students.

BGLO's accept members of all races who meet the certain qualifications and criteria. We do not give priority to African American students. This is not Affirmative Action Part 2. But the majority of students interested in one of the BGLO's are African Americans. This is not a black or white issue. Please don't turn it into one. It is a question about membership and was answered by a member of the organization. As someone looking in since you brought up the topic, As a member of Kappa Alpha Order do you accept members of other races? Does your fraternities "GLADLY" accept African Americans? I mean since you brought up the subject and all...

Nupe4Life, you answered the question well. Much luv...

Alpha Kappa Alpha
Spr. 02, #1
TMO
Old 07-04-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually I have no problem with people because of their race, and yes there are many people in Kappa Alpha Order that are not causcasian. As far as "GLADLY" accept blacks, KA, unlike most other greek letter organizations, requires that a rushee receive 100% approval of the chapter in order to receive a bid. Also I personally don't care if BGLOs did discriminate, in my opinion they are private organizations that can do what they want. My only point was that if his words were taking literally, which is something many people who don't like the greek system do, then it could be misconstrued and made to be a bigger issue.

Like I said in my previous post, I know KAPsi, Omega Psi Phi, Alpha Phi Alpha and others don't discriminate, but some people outside the greek community may not realize that. It is called being careful with how you word things when posting, that's it, there is no other issue I am bringing up.

I'm sorry I hit a sore subject.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

From the outside looking in, my words paint the picture of discrimination on the part of the great KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC. ? If you know KAY, WYF, AFA don't discriminate, then why even go there? Also, I know the KA' s at FSU and I'm pretty confident in knowing that they would never accept a black person for membership. For one thing, why would a black man want to be apart of KA. Atleast at FSU anyway. I mean, the KA's here dress up in Confederate uniforms and have something called Old South week. I wasn't living in the 1800's hundreds, but I'm pretty sure that the South was not the place to be for Black men. And yet, your fraternity, or atleast the ones at FSU glorify the Old South to the point that they take their composites in Confederate uniforms. I don't know much about KA , but from what I've seen of the KA's at FSU I wouldn't want to join. YES, ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN THEY LOOK STRAIGHT UP RACIST!
Old 07-05-2003, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

1] All I meant was that I feel it was a poor choice of words to use "black male" when just "male" would have worked. I was not judging your fraternity in the least bit. As you will see in my initial post I stated "don't you think you should be a little bit more politically correct?" That's all I meant by my comment. I was not trying to imply you discriminate.

2] Everyone on this board assumes I am white, why is that? Do you think because I am in an NIC fraternity I am automatically white? That is just perputuating a stereotype.

3] I am very familiar with Old South week. I personally don't see anything wrong with it. It is a celebration of our southern heritage and things such as gentility, etiquette, chivalry which were common place before the War of Northen Agression. I wouldn't say you were racist because you choose to wear a dashiki or anything else related to your heritage. Also do not use the argument the War of Northern Aggression was about slavery either as that is a fallacy. If you would like to know more about Old South, so that you can understand it please see the thread entitled Old South in the Kapp Alpha Order Forum.

4]PrettyNPearls stated that the historically black greek letter organizations "were founded by African American students for African American students" That in itself seems to suggest that people of other ethnicies are not welcome. I hope that is not the case.

5] I feel that certain people who have posted on this thread are very closed minded and feel that their way is the only proper way to think, as this discourages me. We are mature, educated adults here, who should be able to have a discussion without attacking others organizations. I have never said y'all's organizations are racist, instead I only stated that the comments cause them to seem discriminatory.

6] That is fine if you wouldn't want to join the chapter at FSU, I personally wouldn't want to join other NIC chapters here at my school, as I don't feel as though I fit in, nor would I want to join any historically black greek letter organizations as I come from a different cultural background in which I would not fit in. That doesn't mean they are racist as I have some friends who are Omega Psi Phis and Kappa Alpha Psis and I definitely don't think they are.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

In defense to what PrettyNPearls said, I am pretty sure when the predominately white organizations were formed, they were made only for whites. So when the BGLO's were formed they were formed for us african americans because we were not welcomed ( and when i say we i speak generally due to the fact that i am not in one of these organizations as of now)into the white ones, however because they were formed for blacks doesnt mean that they are only for blacks ( as proof i know an asian american who just crossed APhiA and there was a Beta Mu (LeMoyen Owen College) Nu...i mean Kappa who was white, they called him Jon B I believe).
Old 07-08-2003, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

kafromTN,

Let me debate several points you raised...

First of all, anyone who is seriously interested in a BGLO knows that they were founded by African Americans for African Americans. Again BGLO's do not discriminate. If one does their research they would know this. Also, we don't care if you are white. We are not assuming this. We are not debating your ethnicity. Stick to the facts....

2. As for Dashikis and Confederate uniforms: Confederate uniforms represent an ugly past for African Americans. It represents hate. A dashiki does NOT.

3. No one on this forum needs to recieve information from you concerning the "Old South" as you call it. We live the horror of the "Old South" everyday. You claimed you don't see anything wrong with the "Old South". This is no surprise. Maybe you should read the truth about the"Old South" not want you want to see.

4. BGLO's were started by African Americans because we were not allowed to join White Sororities or Fraternities so we started our own. Again go do some research about White Sororities/Fraternities. They were the ones who were discriminatory. NOT US.

And finally we are not closed minded about this subject just educated. The facts are the facts. And on that WE WILL NOT BUDGE. Next time do your research before posting.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Spr. 02

Last edited by PrettyNPearls; 07-09-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
"War of Northern Aggression"? You've got to be kidding me.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Enlightment06, When he said the "War of Nothern Aggression", I wasn't even gonna respond to him. I mean, it's just one of those things. It's like those people who claim the Holocaust never happened. People only see what they wanna see. I will never glorify the "Old South". I mean I bet those people who do will regale you all day with stories of chivalry and sipping mint juleps on the veranda...I sound like Blanche Deveroux on the "Golden Girls...but the true South was much more than that. It was a place of SLAVERY, LYNCHING, RAPE ect. I could go on and on. So kafromTN, you see why we as African American have a true memory of the South. People who look back on the "Old South" are those whose ancestors never had to work in cotton field and watch as their master and his prospered while their family ate table scraps and lived in a shack. Their grandmothers were never raped by their slave master. And their grandfathers were never beaten or worse LYNCH!