GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,129
0 members and 2,129 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Legacy Cut After Pref....Not Given Bid

Hi all,

I went through recruitment this week. My grandma was a Kappa at another school, and the chapter at my school was well aware of this. I was invited to Kappa's Preference round and ranked them 1st afterwards. On bid day I received a bid from another house.

My question is that, in Kappa's bylaws it states that any legacy, including granddaughters, that is invited to pref must be placed on the bid list before the quota mark. So I believe I should have gotten a bid from Kappa. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Is there anything I can do?

I have many friends in the chapter and they all were shocked on Bid Day too. Everyone assumed that I'd ranked another house first and that's why I wasn't given a bid.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgirl10 View Post
Hi all,

I went through recruitment this week. My grandma was a Kappa at another school, and the chapter at my school was well aware of this. I was invited to Kappa's Preference round and ranked them 1st afterwards. On bid day I received a bid from another house.

My question is that, in Kappa's bylaws it states that any legacy, including granddaughters, that is invited to pref must be placed on the bid list before the quota mark. So I believe I should have gotten a bid from Kappa. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Is there anything I can do?

I have many friends in the chapter and they all were shocked on Bid Day too. Everyone assumed that I'd ranked another house first and that's why I wasn't given a bid.
QFP
Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 AM

Your grandma needs to get on the horn with Kappa HQ and ascertain that the policy is as she remembers it.* There is also a thread on here discussing how sororities are no longer given a flat quota number, rather a quota range.

*(sorry, Kappa HQ)

Last edited by 33girl; 09-16-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Your grandma needs to get on the horn with Kappa HQ and ascertain that the policy is as she remembers it.

(sorry, Kappa HQ)

From Kappa's Website:
"A Kappa legacy is defined as a sister, daughter, granddaughter or great-granddaughter of an initiated member. While step-relatives, cousins and nieces are not legacies, we recognize they may have special knowledge of and interest in Kappa Kappa Gamma and encourage our chapters to get to know these women who have a connection to the Fraternity."

So yes, I'm considered a legacy.

Also From Kappa's Website:
"If the legacy is invited to the preference round, her name must be included on the bid list, above the quota break"

So yes, I should have been on the bid list.

Am I correct on these things or am I missing something? Any Kappas out there that could help?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgirl10 View Post
From Kappa's Website:
"A Kappa legacy is defined as a sister, daughter, granddaughter or great-granddaughter of an initiated member. While step-relatives, cousins and nieces are not legacies, we recognize they may have special knowledge of and interest in Kappa Kappa Gamma and encourage our chapters to get to know these women who have a connection to the Fraternity."

So yes, I'm considered a legacy.

Also From Kappa's Website:
"If the legacy is invited to the preference round, her name must be included on the bid list, above the quota break"

So yes, I should have been on the bid list.

Am I correct on these things or am I missing something? Any Kappas out there that could help?
I couldn't find the legacy quote on the public pages of the Kappa Kappa Gamma website. Is it in the members only section?

The issue that I can spot is the quota range. If you were ranked below the lower end of the range, would you ask the chapter to remove another woman who'd been issued a bid and was ranked higher than you, in order that you as a legacy receive a bid? This could get really sticky and tricky.

Did you accept a bid from the other chapter you preferenced?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-16-2014, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I couldn't find the legacy quote on the public pages of the Kappa Kappa Gamma website. Is it in the members only section?

The issue that I can spot is the quota range. If you were ranked below the lower end of the range, would you ask the chapter to remove another woman who'd been issued a bid and was ranked higher than you, in order that you as a legacy receive a bid? This could get really sticky and tricky.

Did you accept a bid from the other chapter you preferenced?

I found those quotes from the membership reference form on their website. Here's a link to it if you'd like: https://www.kappakappagamma.org/kappa/reference/

I'm not sure about this quota range, but I think according to their legacy policy I still should have been placed at the top and gotten a bid. What do you/others think? And yes, I was unfortunately given a bid to another chapter.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quota is not determined until all PNMS have ranked and signed their MRABAs. We are now given a quota range and not a solid quota number. So rather than submitting an "A" list and "B" list, most groups are instructed to simply rank in order of preference or scores.

I have seen a recent quota range of 32-40 with a final quota of 35 noted on Bid Day.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Like others have said, I think the phrasing "above the quota break" could leave room for interpretation if a quota range is given.

If you and your grandmother want to proceed with disputing this, your grandmother needs to call Kappa Headquarters and attempt to get things straightened out. If you go down that path, can see this getting very complicated very quickly.

My 2¢: Do you really want to be that person who tried to use a technicality to push herself into a house that didn't want her as much as she wanted it? I wouldn't. I would rather be at the house that obviously wanted me than the one that obviously didn't.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 AM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, you were not "cut". You were on the bid list - the question is where.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Having seen this happen before in my group ( and very recently with a double legacy to the chapter in question), I would venture they may have failed to mark you as a legacy in the system and therefore you weren't placed on the first list. Quota Range would be irrelevant if you were flagged as a legacy. Your grandmother should contact the regional/province recruitment person over the chapter in question.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Having seen this happen before in my group ( and very recently with a double legacy to the chapter in question), I would venture they may have failed to mark you as a legacy in the system and therefore you weren't placed on the first list. Quota Range would be irrelevant if you were flagged as a legacy. Your grandmother should contact the regional/province recruitment person over the chapter in question.
Not to add fuel to the crazy fire, but this would be my guess as well. I would imagine that the best practice in the era of quota ranges would be to place the legacies at the very top of the list in the first place.

That being said:
A) I agree with everything that everyone else said about the cost vs. benefit of contesting this.

B) We have no idea how many legacies this chapter was dealing with at Preference. Hypothetically, that is another variable.

C) Even if a mistake were made on the part of this chapter - is Panhellenic bound in any way to rectify the placement? Your placement with your current chapter bumped someone else who is now in yet another chapter, and so on. What about binding agreements and your bid with your current chapter? I don't know what the NPC protocol is for something like this, but I could easily see Panhellenic saying "too bad".
Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

My senior year,

when I was a rush counselor, a double legacy to a chapter(with a sitting sister no less and mom a nat'l officer) wound up with a bid to another chapter. Work was done behind the scenes and double leg. was able to be a pledge to her legacy chapter, which put the chapter over quota by one. This was before QAs.

What was done, I don't know. I would imagine that the legacy chapter had to pay some sort of fine, or agree to take one less pledge the following year, and the bidding chapter probably was allowed to replace the legacy. So things can get messed up and later rectified, although I would imagine it is exceedingly rare.

addendum: I mistakenly omitted that whatever deal was struck was between the national officers/headquarters of the two chapters, FSU panhellenic, and the two local chapters.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-16-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
when I was a rush counselor, a double legacy to a chapter(with a sitting sister no less and mom a nat'l officer) wound up with a bid to another chapter. Work was done behind the scenes and double leg. was able to be a pledge to her legacy chapter, which put the chapter over quota by one. This was before QAs.

What was done, I don't know. I would imagine that the legacy chapter had to pay some sort of fine, or agree to take one less pledge the following year, and the bidding chapter probably was allowed to replace the legacy. So things can get messed up and later rectified, although I would imagine it is exceedingly rare.
Interesting- and this happened in the days or weeks after bid day?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

That is a good point, Titchou. Did your grandmother send in the appropriate paperwork to confirm your legacy status? Anyone can claim legacy, but all groups have ways for legacies to prove their status.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Bid day and the day after.