GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,404
0 members and 2,404 guests
No Members online

Old 03-18-2002, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAURecruitment
A view on what it is like being VP of Recruitment

As I was browsing through the thread, I noticed that no one has posted about what it is like being VP of Recruitment. If you are interested in seeing what it is like having that position and how much planning is done, just let me know.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sure, tell us as much as you can! I'm sure whatever you have to say about your position and how you succeed at it will be helpful to all who read it.

LHT
Kevin
MT 5
University of Central Oklahoma
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-19-2002, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking absolutely

your take would be terrific
mmcat
Old 03-21-2002, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Oz... nah not really ... although sometimes i wonder :-p
Send a message via AIM to ZHLyreGirl
I'd love to hear about it ! It'i one of the positions I'm considering running for so any ideas would be great!
Old 03-27-2002, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Do tell us! I love to hear stories about rush from every side.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry it has taken so long

I've been so busy in the past couple of months with planning Recruitment. This past week has been a disaster. Our Greek Advisor is leaving our school next week, which means he will not be here for Recruitment. He's leaving because he has a better opportunity for advancement than here, which I don't blame him. This really sucks! We will now have a part-time Greek Advisor meaning that he will not be able to attend many of the meetings or even events. He may only be at Recruitment for 1 or 2 out of the 6 days. Does anybody have any advice or has been through something like this before?
Old 07-20-2002, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TaraHopeful
Hey FAU!!! What fraternity/sorority are you in? I live in Boynton Beach (like 10 minutes away) and some of my friends are going to FAU.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Recruitment Counselor (Rho Chi) so, for right now I am disaffiliated from my organization. PM me with their names, maybe I know them.

Last edited by FAURecruitment; 07-20-2002 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up have a ball

as a rho chi, you are going to go into a fascinating time.
enjoy it. we know you'll do right by your girls.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I just wandered across it-- I'm the membership VP for my chapter of Gamma phi beta and, while it's totally stressful and has basically consumed my life this summer, it's also the most amazing and fun job! Right now I'm in the process of rewriting our skit and our pref ceremony with the help from some sisters, and I'm planning our fall workshops on conversation, voting, appropriate dress, etc. I've been busy since the day I got the job, but I totally love it and would take it on again in a second! (of course, my opinion could change come sept. 13 when the madness begins for real....).

My advice for everyone is, be kind to your MVP! Rush is usually as stressful as it is fun, and he/she is going to be even more strung out than everyone else... try not to complain unless you have an idea as to how to fix the problem (I have issues with the girls in my chapter who have a tendency to shoot down ideas without offering suggestions). So far I've found that people really do respond well if you just thank them for their work, so my advice to other rush chairs is to recognize everyone who does something positive.

Like I said, there's a chance I might start regretting this job once I get back to school on the 24th and rush consumes my life, but I'm pretty sure that I'll love it all This is the best time of year-- I hope everyone does well and remembers to have fun!!

*C*
Old 08-04-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, everything is going well with Recruitment. Our advisor has official left for his new job and we are busy trying to organize everything with our temporary adviosr to get things ready. We are also searching for a new advisor and I just found out last week that I am on the interview team. I am very excited about that because I am thinking about possibily persuing a career in Greek Affairs. Anyways, we are having a Recruitment Counselor retreat this upcoming weekend. I'm busy trying to prepare the material we need to cover as well as activities that we can do. If anyone has any ideas of activities that we can do I would really appreciate your help. I'm also having a hard time motivating them to do things. So if you can help me out with any ideas, just pm me. Thanks.

Cara
Old 08-08-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. I am a former MVP and I know how difficult the motivation thing can be.
What I did was give "awards" after every workshop and after every day of Rush. They were just silly, cute things like, "funniest comment", "most ADPi spirit", "most nervous new sister", "ADPi encyclopedia" (the sister who knows the most ADPi facts) etc...
We gave out all sorts of little inexpensive gifts, lollipop bouquets, ADPi stickers, it was just a fun break that all the women looked forward to. The Membership assistant was in charge of giving out the awards which gave her time in front of the chapter and helped her develop her ability to speak to the whole group. It also gave her a "fun" job that she really enjoyed and helped break up the tasks like calling the t-shirt company and making sure the order was ready.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank for the ideas violets! I appreciate it! Can any current Recruitment Counselors or former Recruitment Counselors give me any ideas on how to motivate my Recruitment Counselors? I'm having a difficult time to reach some of them. Thanks.

Cara
Old 08-12-2002, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

FAURecruitment,
Whoops sorry for the confusion, I was posting about being the V.P. of recruitment for my own chapter...a job I loved and obviously will talk about at the drop of a hat. Sorry if my ideas don't apply to your situation.

I wrote in another post about how my PX during Rush (yes, I still like calling it that) had questions for each day for us to answer while waiting between parties. Each day the questions were about a different subject; TV shows, summer vacations, etc... This eliminated a lot of the "gossip" and "hype" that usually goes on.

I know at my school they did a lot of "mock" rushes for the PXs. Alums from each chapter would come in and present problems for the PXs to answer. This helped wake some of them up and realize how essential a job it is.
Are the PXs doing a skit for Bid Day? This helps to get them to bond together and have fun.

A good friend I worked with was a VP of Recruitment at a big midwestern school; she treated the PXs as a "new sorority". She called herself the PX Educator and President. The workshops she held were based on new member education classes. She had a fairly large budget to work with so she was able to get nice jerseys with PX and the school on them, something they could honestly wear after Rush was over. She even picked out colors, symbols and wrote a "constitution". On last prep-day before Rush began they had “initiation”. She put a ton of work into it, and everything was funny and cute. Her PXs ended up bragging about being members of the “new” sorority.
She did this all in an effort to break down the competition between the women who were PXs--that had been a problem on her campus. This campus had had problems with their counselors remaining neutral and supportive of all the chapters. She invented this "new" sorority to deal with that.
Not that I think this is necessary to do on every campus, but it is an interesting example of defining a goal: get PXs to be neutral and supportive of going Greek in general, and creating a theme for recruitment that fosters that goal.
I hope that is in some way helpful to you.
Good luck.
Go Greek!!!