GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,435
0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2001, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Personal Ads: Would You or Have You

Ladies and Gents -- more specifically my single GCers:

Have you ever submitted a personal ad on either the web/newspaper/magazine, etc?

What was the result?

If not, would you ever consider submitting a personal ad?

Design FOR FUN your PERSONAL AD, what would it say. If you want to use acronyms, please provide a key .
Old 09-20-2001, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: home of the nation's highest car insurance rates :(
Send a message via Yahoo to stillwater15
i placed a personal ad in a newspaper, once i started grad school, as a way to meet people, in a state where i didn't know anyone. i received tons of responses. after talking w/a few of them on the phone, i met two of them at separate times. admittedly, one guy was about 30 years older than me, but we didn't click in person. because i wouldn't let him order my food. w/the other guy, we dated off and on for 3 months or so and eventually lost contact w/each other, after i went home for winter break.

off the top of my head, my personal ad was something like;

sbf (single black female), grad student, 21, seeking a swm (single white male) to stimulate my mind, body and soul.

short and to the point...
Old 09-20-2001, 03:52 PM

I've submitted a personal ad on the internet and received a lot of responses. Some I would consider to date and others...well they didn't present themselves like I would want them to in person so I didn't find them worth a response back.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlacrityZK
Personal Ad

Well, I have never posted a personal before, but I did meet my current boyfriend via internet. I don't think I would place an ad, but then again, I did also tell myself that I wouldn't meet anyone off the internet, because of the dangers involved in it.

If I were to place an ad:

SCBF(Single Christian Black Female) seeks, SCBM(Single Christian Black Male) who is outgoing,witty, sensitive, romantic and out going just to name a few!
Old 09-20-2001, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
Well, CT4, I've never posted or even READ those personals ads. I'm happy to say that I met my husband the OLD FASHIONED way (we were both working at a McDonald's while home from college for the summer). Personally, I think that meeting people via the internet, personals ads, blind dates, etc. is kinda dangerous. I mean, you don't even get to see these people face to face. Sometimes it takes months before they are able to do this. I firmly believe that meeting someone the OLD FASHIONED way (the library, church, socials, or even work) is the best way, especially in these days and times. Now don't get me wrong. I know that I can't knock what I've never tried. But I just never put much thought in meeting people that way, especially possible love interests.
Old 09-20-2001, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually I agree with korkscru. I would probably never place a personal (nothing against those that do, just not my style). HOWEVER, in the event that I ever DO place one I think it would go something like this:

GAW (Grown A** Woman) Seeks GAM (Grown A** Man) who ABDG (Ain't Bout Dem Games). Please have some semblence of normalcy, because IAETKOPUIN, UIH (It Ain't Even That Kind Of Party Up In Here, Up In Here). Must be able to APPRECIATE (not just LISTEN TO) music, and MUST be able to stimulate NON-TANGIBLE things (such as my MIND). Oh yeah, and if you fine, that's a plus too!
Old 09-22-2001, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_01 Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_01
Wink

You know what? I've never thought about placing one myself, although I might have come darn close, had I not found my new boyfriend. (It's been four and a half years of single living...). Anyhoo, I did meet my boo on the internet also...it's easier that way if you are shy. If I was, it may go like this...

SBF (single black female) seeks SBM (single black male) for mental and spiritual stimulation. Must like music,long walks, and laughter, and hate childish games!

Simple.
Old 09-23-2001, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation I've Done It

I have done it 3 times. First time was in college after I crossed via Hotmail and I met this really nice guy and we used to have the best convos until I saw what he looked like but it was my loss because I was looking with my eyes and not my heart.

Then last year or so I did it through Yahoo and none of the guys really sparked my attention. The ones that did reply were all about something I am not.

Then back in February I was BORED so I did the BP dating but never checked any of the replies I received because I found out some of my students did the BP dating too and that was not going to work

Here is what my ad would say if I were to do it now:

SBF with a big heart and a lot of love to give seeks a SBMWNK (Single Black Man With No Kids) who is:
mentally and physically fit,
career/goal oriented,
intelligent,
ambitious,
loving,
mature,
devoted to BLACK issues and people,
spiritual,
NSNDOA (no smoking, no drugs, occasional alcohol),
likes to read,
watch movies (other than Master P and other drug flicks),
appreciates music and not just rap but R&B and GOSPEL,
sense of humor,
can stimulate my mind and my heart not just my body.

Only serious replies wanted between the ages of 27-32

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 09-24-2001 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2001, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I did twice!

About 5 years ago, I met 2 guys on a phone chat line. I believe I got lucky, or just a good judge of character. Both these guys were true gentlemen. Very kind, thoughtful, good conversationalists, giving. I dated both about 6 to 8 months. They just kind of faded out, but no ill feelings, or regrets. I'm sure if I wantedto I could call them up now, but personally I never go back, plus I'm currently involved with my BF of 5 years. He was/is a co-worker. I see nothing wrong with it, but be careful.
Old 09-24-2001, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I have once

I've posted one, once, looking for friendship only. I forgot I had even posted that one, until I got an email over a year later (I guess you don't get as many responses if you only want to be friends? ). The dude and I are still friends, and that was almost a year ago. I don't think I would post one with the serious expectation of finding a mate, I'm too paranoid for that, lol. I'm too scurred.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, CT4, does such a man exist? If so, PLEASE, PLEASE let two of my girlfriends know.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Weeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll

Quote:
Originally posted by korkscru
Well, CT4, does such a man exist? If so, PLEASE, PLEASE let two of my girlfriends know.
I really do NOT know. I am hoping and praying. Sometimes just when you think you have a QUALIFIED APPLICANT, he starts being BASS ACKWARDS and other things like that.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally I have not nor do I think I ever would submit a personal ad -- too paranoid --it's some crazy people out there. But when I was planning my wedding and chatting with fellow brides-to-be and newlyweds, I noticed that a significant number of people on the boards had met their significant others via the internet. If that is what floats your boat, I say go for it.

If I did place a personal ad however, it would read:
Independent, intelligent, and community-minded SBF seeking outgoing SBM who is goal and career-oriented, intelligent, believes in God, good cook, family oriented, committed to supporting and uplifting the African American community. Must like to take long walks, picnic, and travel to exciting and new places.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I did, I forgot about it, and then a few months later a guy from Canada responded to it. 18 months later, we were married.

Old 09-25-2001, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey yall, I'm not KNOCKING the personals. To each his own. I just don't think much of it MYSELF. And yes, DST_PHILOSO4, you are right in everything that you've said. Heck, I've known MY husband for almost 10 years now and I STILL learn new things about him (some good and some not so good). I just feel that, IN MY EYES, a relationship would have sort of a better chance the old-fashioned way (but who am I to say?). The personals have NEVER been an option for ME. That's all that I'm saying.