GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
0 members and 1,390 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at a Midwest school

Hi. I go to a school in northern ohio and I am planning on going through formal recruitment this fall. I read our schools website about rush week and the way the events take place seem to be really different from the way other schools do it. Our first night is meeting the Rho Gammas. The second and third nights are the open house days. By reading it seems like we can just come and go as we please during the time frame, is this normal? Also it says that the attire is casual, jeans, nice shirt, sundress.... what type of shoes would be considered casual? Our 4th day is philanthropy day and then the final day is Pref day.

How is recruitment done at your school? Are midwest schools less competitve?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

what shoes do you ordinarily wear with jeans or shorts? unless its athletic shoes, i would imagine that any other shoes would be fine, as long as they go well with your outfit.

i can't answer your question about the normalcy of your college's recruitment(i'm from the south). i would imagine that the way your recruitment is structured is normal for your campus.

if you have questions and would feel better knowing the answers in advance, you could call the panhellenic office, otherwise those questions will probably be covered at your first recruitment meeting.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Every school is different in the way they conduct recruitment. Now, you do see more "open houses" where you can come and go as you please. After this round, its very structured though.

Last fall, I helped during First Round (aka Open House) at a liberal arts college in the Northern Ohio. Actives from all houses wore the same T Shirts, with jeans, jean skirts, and jean shorts. Mostly shorts since it was very hot. I saw a lot of flip flops, tennis shoes and cute shoes. PNMs were dressed very similarly, without the matching Ts.

Is it competitive? Depends on the school. Some, like DePauw (which is deferred) is very competitive. Some are not.

Feel free to PM me if you would like some help
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 PM

I go to a northern Ohio school and honestly, I can't think of a recruitment in the area that is competitive. Generally, most girls who participate and are open-minded about each sorority do receive bids (though there are no 100% guarantees of course).

You could probably get away with wearing flip flops at my school to the first 2 days (round one and philanthropy), but I would recommend stepping it up just a notch and going with a cute sandal and sundress as opposed to tees/jeans/flip flops. It may say tees/jeans/flip flops, but in my experience, I'd say that most of the girls usually wore a cute skirt/sundress and nicer sandals instead.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-06-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

"Normal" on a nationwide message board does not exist. Recruitment varies widely from state to state and chapter to chapter. Recruitment for the chapter I advise (mid-western location) has moved in leaps and bounds to a no-frills recruitment over a weekend (Fri-Mon, Tue Bid Day) but I'm also assisting a chapter two hours away that has fully structured formal recruitment during the week (Tue-Fri). It is really up to Panhellenic at your college/university to structure and set the tone for recruitment.

As for dress, I'd step it up a half-notch from the recommended just to be on the safe side. I'd leave the tennis shoes and flip-flops at home, make sure all of your clothes are well ironed (maybe starched?), and perhaps splurge on a manicure/pedicure for the week.

Last edited by Kansas City; 08-07-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

midwestpnm

Just as a suggestion (which is why I didn't quote you so links don't have to be removed) once you pick your outfits you may not want them online so you can allow yourself a degree of anonymity.

I'll shoot you a PM later with some clothing suggestions, just in case someone thinks I am being mean and not helpful.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

IMHO, the second dress is much better than the other two. I think a dress with straps is more flattering to a girl with a chest, and the last one is a bit short. The second dress is really cute without carrying down sides.
________
Vaporizer video

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 AM

re the tops, I like the purple one the best - it's different and the color is really pretty. The black & pink one looks like something I've seen a hundred billion times.

And VS is right, once you have things together - take the clothing links out.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
The shoes are fine and I agree the purple top is cute, I'm not sure about any of the Pref dress choices. As Low C said, strapless dresses on women with chests are tricky (and you do not want to spend all night "tugging"), and the one with straps looks a little clubby (the description that "your cha cha needs this" on the webstie tips that off as well).

VandalSquirrel responded to another poster with some great, general examples of what would work in almost any Preference setting. Please see this post: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...44&postcount=3 and please note the general lack of cleavage.

And good luck!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
The shoes are fine and I agree the purple top is cute, I'm not sure about any of the Pref dress choices. As Low C said, strapless dresses on women with chests are tricky (and you do not want to spend all night "tugging"), and the one with straps looks a little clubby (the description that "your cha cha needs this" on the webstie tips that off as well).

VandalSquirrel responded to another poster with some great, general examples of what would work in almost any Preference setting. Please see this post: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...44&postcount=3 and please note the general lack of cleavage.

And good luck!
those pictures are actually really helpful so thank you to the original poster and to you for reposting it.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I promise, unless there's a storm tonight and lightning I'll do some online shopping for you. If you feel comfortable enough to PM me your school please do so. My camping/rafting excursion has been canceled and I can only do so much knitting or watching tv, and riding my bike in the rain is out.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I looooooove the purple top! and for the dresses, I like the second one better - the third one is a little too short imo! and I also agree with VS - take the links out once you decide =)

I also go to a northern Ohio school and I don't think it's super competitive. Everything is based on a mutual selection process - you have to want a sorority and they have to want you, too. At my school we were able to wear flip flops and basically whatever we wanted as long as it wasn't something revealing (low-cut tops with your boobs hanging out or a short skirt that might be a little too short...you get the idea). for pref we had to wear khaki's or black pants with a nice top or a dress.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

well Im getting ready to fill out my application for recruitment. Im just having the hardest time picking a photo to include with it!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestpnm View Post
well Im getting ready to fill out my application for recruitment. Im just having the hardest time picking a photo to include with it!
Be sure to get enough photos to send in with your application. Here, the pnms are asked to send in X number of photos which are then distributed among X number of sororities so they can recognize who they are. Photos can be black and white, but I think color is nicer. Some pnms opt for professional 'head shots' but others work with the studio photographer to show them in a relaxed environment (ie in a pretty sundress by a tree, in nice jeans and a top outdoors, etc)
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelandelf View Post
Be sure to get enough photos to send in with your application. Here, the pnms are asked to send in X number of photos which are then distributed among X number of sororities so they can recognize who they are. Photos can be black and white, but I think color is nicer. Some pnms opt for professional 'head shots' but others work with the studio photographer to show them in a relaxed environment (ie in a pretty sundress by a tree, in nice jeans and a top outdoors, etc)
Co-sign - and make the pictures about YOU. No boyfriends, no dogs, no bffs, just you looking nice and like you normally do. The idea is that the actives will recognize you when you walk in the door.