GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,337
0 members and 2,337 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2003, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sahara27
rushing as an upperclassman?

Hey everyone,
I'm part of a service sorority at my school, but lately I've been wanting what I could get out of a NPC group (larger numbers, more bonding, etc.) My only problem is that I am a senior (I transferred here as a sophomore). Greek life here is pretty small -- most sororities here have 30-35 members, total is 50. In your opinion, would groups be interested in me if I'm only going to be here for another year? Has anyone here done this? Thanks for your advice!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

You might try a search on this topic bec I know it has been discussed a lot and there is a wealth of opinion and info on this subject.

here's one...
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...senior+rushing
Old 11-02-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through recruitment this year, (I'm a junior, senior after this semester, nongraduating). It was difficult - I won't lie to you. I was cut before Pref, and was told it was because of my age. I was prepared for that, but I was still disappointed. I had a wonderful time, and wouldn't trade my experience for the world. I still keep in touch with many girls I met during rush, though not the ones I thought I would. Your system is different than mine - it may not be as harsh on upperclassmen. Do it and have fun - you never know unless you try!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the support, guys! I'm really thinking of waiting until I graduate and then perhaps go through the AI process. Although my sorority allows girls to be in two greek orgs, I'm pretty sure a few of our members on exec board would not be too thrilled with the idea. I just wish this idea would have come to me earlier in my college life!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

What has being a member of a Service Org. have to do with anything?

I am a proud member of APO, but at an other school, stated a Local which affiliated with LXA.

Maybe on the same Campus, that might be tuff.

As a Senior, yes it would be very tuff to get a bid. Most Orgs. want someone who will be there for at least 3 years to help with the Chapter.

Unless you can find one who is willing to say what the Hey, then, Your best bet is to wait for AI. But laying the ground work before hand would not be bad.

If you know a Soroity that you would like to affiliate with, explain to them that you know it would be tuff for them to Initiate you but, you would like to be with them for a future reference upon graduation. Who turns down help, especially from a person with a smiley face and a hand out pushing for someone who you are not officially with.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-03-2003, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I think you should give it a try since the sororities seem to be pretty far under total. We took 3 second-semester juniors last year, and 2 of them will be graduating this May. Since we were about 10 under total, we were able to do it. I can't make you any promises, but on a campus where the sororities are not at total, it would make me think that you would at least have a better chance.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 11-04-2003, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a senior in our current NM class. She is doing great. We warn women a lot not to make presumption regarding bidding processes and that should apply here. Esp. if your system is small, or under quota you could have a chance. It is really about the friendships. Go for it, but remember that it can be harder. I'm pulling for ya!
Old 11-04-2003, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm meeting a friend who's in a sorority here for lunch today, and she's going to tell me about my options. She's a sweetheart, and I know she'll be honest to me about everything, but still so supportive... and I'd love to be her sister! (but I won't think that far ahead!) Thanks again, and I'll keep you updated!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey sweety! I was just wondering how you were doing?

Although, I'm confused. At some schools once you are a junior or senior I think that you didn't count against total. But just counted for the total. Is that right? If so, why wouldn't it hurt if a senior went in as a pnm?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:51 PM

I rushed as a junior and got in, but I also made them aware through conversations that I had 2.5 years left instead of one. So i dont know if that had a part to play in it or not.

Good luck though!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I really don't see anything wrong with it (with exception being your final semester). My last college roommate rushed, pledged and was initiated into my sorority as a first semester senior. I say go for it, you might never know unless you try. Good luck!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I

Last edited by Amalia17; 04-11-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We will only take juniors during informal rush in the fall and that is it. I always love to see juniors come through during informal ruch. College is short and I think people should do anything and everything thay can do while in college. Don't let something slip away forever....Go for it no matter what and don't let stereotypes hold you back.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I don't understand the deal with upperclassmen not doing well during recruitment because it isn't a big deal at my school. I went through as a junior and did really well and I've known many women over the years who have done the same at MT. I think if you get along with the women and you fit what that sorority is looking for, it shouldn't matter how old you are! It brings diversity to the pledge class. Good luck with your recruitment! I hope it ends up successful.