GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,759
2 members and 2,757 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

It is awful. And sadly, some PNM's .... and even their mothers .... base opinions off what they read there. It's bad at a lot of schools, but it seems particularly nasty at Mizzou. If they read it last night they'd be pretty much hard pressed to come up with a "good" option for recruitment.

Anyone can post on greek rank, and I noticed they charge a fee to have comments removed within 24 hours. So what's the philosophy of the owner of the site?

Would be far better if there was forum, where people had to register, to ask any genuine questions and come together as a Greek community.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

That website is strictly for bullying purposes. It sickens me that it even exists. Wish there was something we could do about it.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Please don't trust a single thing you see on that site. It is hateful and vile. Someone admitted a while back that her unaffiliated neighbor would post on there pretending to be a sorority member, just to amuse herself and trash talk. It is awful. I know the chapter I advise very well, and that site is nothing but hate and lies.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

In happier news, I hope the PNMs get the invites they would like today, and the actives are excited to do house tours and show off their philanthropy. This is the first year that this day is held during round 2. R2 used to be skits, with philo/house tours R3. It will be interesting to see if this changes anything with PNM preferences!

Also, I cannot get over the weather. Last year was so hot and humid PNMs were miserable all week. Today the high is 67. The out-of-state PNMs are getting an interesting introduction to Missouri weather!! Here's hoping the rain holds off the rest of the week. (But especially on bid day!!!)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftiger View Post
Oh boy. I sadly just looked at that horrible site Greek Rank for Mizzou. That was a huge mistake and devastating to see. There is a person writing absolutely horrible things on there about chapters. I wish somebody moderated that site better. It's pure group cyber bullying
I too sadly discovered that site when my daughter was going through rush. So awful! As one of my friends says, "GreekRank is truly rank!" (in the Shakespearean insult sense). I think/hope that most of the girls who are going through Rush are savvy to how the site works--totally anonymous and virtually no rules. And my daughter certainly is less naive than I was about how awful the internet can be. It's easy to say terrible things hiding behind the wall of anonymity. I had no idea.

That's why I like to come to this site--so many helpful people and good information. And of course, as people keep saying, in terms of "ranks" the only important thing is the way each girl feels when she visits the houses, which will usually shift upon multiple visits.

Momoftiger I'm pulling for your daughter this morning, and for all the PNMs who are finding out where they will be returning today! Important to remember that the active members are excited and nervous as well--they find out which of the people they made a connection with will be returning.

Last edited by WalkintheWoods; 08-19-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: mistyped a word
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for pulling for my daughter! She had a great return this morning. She will be attending a full 11 houses over the next two days. She is over the top excited with her invites back. So many great houses to see and get to know!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Great news for her!! (and you!)

Hope she has a great 2 days! So many great houses and great philanthropies they support!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you all for pulling for my daughter! She had a great return this morning. She will be attending a full 11 houses over the next two days. She is over the top excited with her invites back. So many great houses to see and get to know!
Hooray! So exciting for your daughter, Momoftiger! Good for her! That is an excellent result; you must both be really pleased. She obviously makes a great first impression and a lot of houses are interested in her.

One thing to keep in mind is that your daughter and her friends may (or may not) experience more cuts on the next round, just because of the nature of RFM. You may want to prepare her for that. I knew some girls last year who had a full dance card second round and then went down to 5 or 6 (when they were hoping to fill their schedule with 8) for the following round and were really devastated-- when there's no need to be. It happens and isn't anything to be alarmed about. I don't want to be a damper at all and your daughter could very well have 8 parties in the next round; I just think it's easier to have the information and not be surprised/dismayed if the numbers are less later on. So excited for her and good luck to all the PNMs and houses in this round!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I will be preparing her for just that tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't know to do that without this website full of great advice
Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Same here.

Quote:
Yes, I will be preparing her for just that tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't know to do that without this website full of great advice
This site has been so helpful to me in preparing my daughter for different scenarios, helping her keep an open mind, etc. Thanks so much!

She, too, is happy with her full 2nd round schedule with all of her favorites.

FYI, I just checked the website, and it looks like there will be 7 parties in the 3rd round this year.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagled1 View Post
This site has been so helpful to me in preparing my daughter for different scenarios, helping her keep an open mind, etc. Thanks so much!

She, too, is happy with her full 2nd round schedule with all of her favorites.

FYI, I just checked the website, and it looks like there will be 7 parties in the 3rd round this year.
beagled congrats to your daughter! So glad she gets to go back to all of her faves. And thanks also for the update re: 7 parties for 3rd round vs. 8. That makes more sense to me, actually--tighter focus on fewer houses in the second to last round. Back when I was rushing (30 years ago!) We went to only 5 houses in the second to last round, then down to 3 for pref like they do today.

Hang in there, all of you Moms!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome news! So glad things are going well for your daughters! Keep us posted pretty please!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Momoftiger and Beagled1 so happy for your daughters (and you!) that things went so well for them today. I hope they had great experiences learning about all the philanthropies. Hoping tomorrow goes just as well!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Feeling nervous as we await to hear about return invites to The Sisterhood Round Today! nervous...nervous...nervous They can attend up to 7 houses today. Everyone has said to be prepared for big cuts.....
Closed Thread