GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,376
1 members and 1,375 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmorePNM View Post
Hey GCers,
I've been lurking for a while now and it occurred to me that a lot of the advice on GC seems like it is only relevant to recruitment in a certain area, most of it being for the south. While it's all great advice and I have no doubt that I am more prepared for recruitment now than I ever was, I was wondering if anybody had some west-coast specific advise. I just feel like some things are completely different in different parts of the US i.e. i doubt anybody on the west coast would even notice if you wore white after labor day, you would probably be ok in some short jean shorts on day 1, not very many people would even notice if you were wearing Lilly Pulitzer, etc. I could be completely wrong, I am just a PNM but it just seems like the styles and culture are really different. I was thinking we could start a thread where members can put west coast recruitment clothing and rush advice if anybody out there has any. If there is already a thread like this you can just direct me there although I did already search for one and it didn't seem like there was anything very recent. Thanks for any help!
I have an anniversary of my love affair with the UNR Wolfpack, November 26, 2010.

I notice white, seersucker, and linen after Labor Day. This clip from Serial Mom has Kathleen Turner explaining it to Patty Hearst better than I ever could. http://youtu.be/flF_WJJ4194

I also wouldn't wear or suggest someone wear denim shorts, short shorts, or a combination of the two. Lastly, I may not have been in full on Lilly Pulitzer, but my vintage Lilly gets noticed and complimented at appropriate summer venues and events because it is a classic staple, and yes, I will openly admit that the newer stuff doesn't interest me.

But here's the thing to keep in mind. No matter what you or anyone else is wearing it doesn't mean a thing if that individual can't be comfortable and genuine with who they are. I can see past a closet eruption that ends up with a woman in formal shorts, a top without sleeves or straps with a bra that isn't or no bra at all, control top pantyhose with runs where the control top is visible, a trucker hat or a hipster beanie, and any of the following on her feet: Uggs, Crocs, Vibram FiveFingers, or socks with sandals. If she's interesting, engaging, funny, intelligent, and someone who genuinely likes who she is I'm going to eventually see past what she's wearing. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for an uninteresting, boring, dead in the eyes, dullard who was styled by Anna Wintour herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
There are some threads on here. I did one on the University I advise at in the west at a PAC 12 (then PAC 10) school you can find it here. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115881
Regionally, a lot of things differ and you can guess that is true with recruitment. You are right about Lilly not being popular out west. I know of it but have never owned a piece myself. Things do tend to be a bit more casual out west but appearance is important for our recruitments too. You will find tradition also varies from school to school.
I've seen Lilly in places where there are yachts, sailboats, and we're inland on a lake. It is obviously more common out on the coast, say north of Monterey. Most unexpected and surprising Lilly experience I've had on this side of the Cascades involved the keen eye of a high school girl decked out in her blue corduroy FFA jacket correctly calling out my vintage (pre 1980s) Lilly. Never taken Lilly to Reno though, as i abhor hot weather and only go to the Incline Village, Truckee, Reno-Sparks vicinity when snow is involved. Oh wait, there was that one time for the bowling tournament, but there was definitely no Lilly, but a lot of Polly and Esther and it was awesome.

Generally though, I think the school will quite vary when it comes down to where the students come from in the Western States. Even though Idaho and Wazzu are close neighbors and have many similarities, our student populations are vastly different when comparing those from the other side of Washington and some place in a different timezone than the rest of the state known as Boise. I'd defer to WCsweet3> on this one, but I don't think there is as huge of a gap now between types of students at OSU and UO than there used to be (farmers v. liberal artists), and the same could be said for Linfield, Willamette, maybe Pacific, then there's Lewis and Clark being kind of dirty hippies, and then there's Reed reeking of patchouli.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I have an anniversary of my love affair with the UNR Wolfpack, November 26, 2010.

Generally though, I think the school will quite vary when it comes down to where the students come from in the Western States. Even though Idaho and Wazzu are close neighbors and have many similarities, our student populations are vastly different when comparing those from the other side of Washington and some place in a different timezone than the rest of the state known as Boise. I'd defer to WCsweet3> on this one, but I don't think there is as huge of a gap now between types of students at OSU and UO than there used to be (farmers v. liberal artists), and the same could be said for Linfield, Willamette, maybe Pacific, then there's Lewis and Clark being kind of dirty hippies, and then there's Reed reeking of patchouli.

Hmmm we have the same anniversary.

As much as some of my friends would hate to hear it, the fashion doesn't vary that much in Western Oregon. It rains and there is only so much one can do with that. Other than that the styles are pretty much the same group to group. If you're a hippy at UO, you will dress the same as the hippies at Pacific. Ditto with Greek life. I can post pictures (or email whatever is best) but I'm not sure how similar it would be to Reno. I assume that it is drier and warmer and well a desert so I'm not sure if it would be similar.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Amen!

What happens over here in Troyland is so super different from what's happening in Westwood Village, and that's just across town. I can't imagine trying to generalize the entire Western region.

OP, I never thought you were a troll.* Just remember that you're dealing with a lot of people who want to help, but they aren't mind-readers. And yeah, there are a ton of trolls with a lot of crazy stories.

*=ok, I've been going to online message boards for as long as I can remember, and I feel like the meaning of the term "troll" has changed significantly over time. It gets handed out pretty freely on a lot of websites. Some of my skating friends pretty much use it to describe anyone with an emphatic love for one skater!
I also feel obligated to say that I enjoy fun trolls.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Sure, pictures are always welcome. I can't give you my email because my name is in it but just posting them here or PMing me works if you're comfortable with that. Reno isn't super desert-like, they get rain and snow as well, theyre at a pretty high altitude. Most people who go there do so so that they can ski at Tahoe. From what I have seen on my visits it's more like a ski town vibe..
And thanks vandalsquirrel, I always love advice based on experience

Last edited by sophmorePNM; 02-14-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Double post, thanks melindawarren, I understand that now.. it seems I'm learning message board eddiquette the hard way, haha. Thanks for your patience everyone
Old 02-14-2012, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Hmmm we have the same anniversary.

As much as some of my friends would hate to hear it, the fashion doesn't vary that much in Western Oregon. It rains and there is only so much one can do with that. Other than that the styles are pretty much the same group to group. If you're a hippy at UO, you will dress the same as the hippies at Pacific. Ditto with Greek life. I can post pictures (or email whatever is best) but I'm not sure how similar it would be to Reno. I assume that it is drier and warmer and well a desert so I'm not sure if it would be similar.
I've spent enough time in the Willamette Valley that I am unfortunately aware of those fashions, and I do prefer them to that ghastly detour to bat country, I mean Hawthorne in Portland. I wonder if UNR students dress more like Idaho or BJC students than UNLV students? Then there's a newish Nevada school, Nevada State College in Henderson, but it has no Greek Life. The few people I knew who attended UNR were smart enough to wear closed toe shoes in the cold and didn't use a rock for deodorant so maybe a bit less dirty hippy and more ski bum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
Amen!

What happens over here in Troyland is so super different from what's happening in Westwood Village, and that's just across town. I can't imagine trying to generalize the entire Western region.

OP, I never thought you were a troll.* Just remember that you're dealing with a lot of people who want to help, but they aren't mind-readers. And yeah, there are a ton of trolls with a lot of crazy stories.

*=ok, I've been going to online message boards for as long as I can remember, and I feel like the meaning of the term "troll" has changed significantly over time. It gets handed out pretty freely on a lot of websites. Some of my skating friends pretty much use it to describe anyone with an emphatic love for one skater!
I also feel obligated to say that I enjoy fun trolls.
In my world trolls are awesome and to be respected. We call them Nisse and they are spirits who originally lived on the farm and could be mischievous but were also helpful. If you treated your Nisse well he would do helpful chores as well as protect the animals from theft or fire and if you moved he'd come with you. If you dissed the Nisse he'll break and steal things, and create chaos on the farm. For city dwellers the Nisse are often the culprit of missing things, like car keys, and the same respect and protect relationship exists. The Nisse are also associated with Christmas and called Julenisse, they bring the presents and are often accompanied by a goat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmorePNM View Post
Sure, pictures are always welcome. I can't give you my email because my name is in it but just posting them here or PMing me works if you're comfortable with that. Reno isn't super desert-like, they get rain and snow as well, theyre at a pretty high altitude. Most people who go there do so so that they can ski at Tahoe. From what I have seen on my visits it's more like a ski town vibe..
If this was the Miller Analogy Test I'd put Reno with SOU in Ashland (except the lack of Greek system), there's a lot of people at Idaho who will come or go to class in their ski/snowboarding ensemble so they don't have to waste any time changing. My brother lived in Truckee and went to Sierra College so he could enjoy snow sports, cheap tuition, and transfer easier into Cal since he had a bit too much fun when he first tried college. Little sister had tons of tips for how to live full time in the mountains with this season called winter. As we all know from the Donner Party, a lot more snow fall on the western side of the Sierra Nevadas, I think Reno gets half the snow Truckee does. I haven't been to Reno in awhile, but we'd usually take the train from Emeryville so cocktail hour could start with mimosas and continue with before dinner drinks with no driving in the snow on 80, I highly suggest that method of transportation, though the return train trip is very early if one has a hangover. I do not suggest even considering a night in Circus Circus, even if they toned down the clowns because it is still creepy and full of children who will make noise. I'm mad at the Peppermill for that tired Tuscan remodel, and yeah they are doing amazing things with green energy, but Tuscany in Reno? Why not something more believable like Austria, Switzerland, or maybe northern Italy???

I'm really happy that so far there is a consensus that Idaho gets to be included in West Coast, but Boise, Utah State & University, and Arizona are in their own categories of Mountains and Southwest? Yeah, the University of Idaho is the sad football child, but at least we're not Boise or Gonzaga in either football or basketball, am I right? Much like our alumna Sarah Palin who could see Russia from her house, I can see Gay Marriage, Tax Free Groceries, and Alcohol for sale in stores not run by the state from my house (forreal, my windows face west). I can also see a place where Cougar Cheese is sold 24 hours a day if I desire a grilled cheese of Viking Dill Garlic or home made macaroni made even better by Cougar Gold.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm really happy that so far there is a consensus that Idaho gets to be included in West Coast, but Boise, Utah State & University, and Arizona are in their own categories of Mountains and Southwest? Yeah, the University of Idaho is the sad football child, but at least we're not Boise or Gonzaga in either football or basketball, am I right? Much like our alumna Sarah Palin who could see Russia from her house, I can see Gay Marriage, Tax Free Groceries, and Alcohol for sale in stores not run by the state from my house (forreal, my windows face west). I can also see a place where Cougar Cheese is sold 24 hours a day if I desire a grilled cheese of Viking Dill Garlic or home made macaroni made even better by Cougar Gold.
I gave up deciding what was west when people started considering Colorado west. I know it isn't midwest, but it sure as Hell isn't west coast. Personally I blame the NBA for screwing it up. I mean the Northwest division is Portland, Utah, Denver, Oklahoma City and Minnesota. At least OKC was originally in Seattle, but Minnesota?

Sorry for completely hijacking this thread.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In my world trolls are awesome and to be respected. We call them Nisse and they are spirits who originally lived on the farm and could be mischievous but were also helpful. If you treated your Nisse well he would do helpful chores as well as protect the animals from theft or fire and if you moved he'd come with you. If you dissed the Nisse he'll break and steal things, and create chaos on the farm. For city dwellers the Nisse are often the culprit of missing things, like car keys, and the same respect and protect relationship exists. The Nisse are also associated with Christmas and called Julenisse, they bring the presents and are often accompanied by a goat.
Where were you when I was taking Ghost Stories?

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, well, well VandalSquirrel – I have been a kindred spirit with you on the whole Boise State thing and then you do this…..stab me in the back by throwing my Zags under the bus and lumping them with that bunch. It’s like bombing Pearl Harbor – now I have no choice but to declare war on you and your Vandal tribe!

From my point of view, which I’ve arbitrarily decided is the only one that counts , Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and Idaho are western states but not west coast states. West coast states are states that border the Pacific which would be California, Oregon, and Washington. Yes, I know there are people living all over the Midwest, South, and East Coast who are completely unaware that any state other than California borders the Pacific Coast, but there are actually two more of them.

Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon are a thing unto themselves in that they don’t really share the personality, culture, politics of the west (wet) sides of their states and seem to feel more affinity for the western states particularly Idaho and Montana – at least in the case of Eastern Washington. I know, thinking about that last sentence can leave one wondering which way is up (or at least east or west) and make one dizzy, but nonetheless – I stand by it.

On the clothing issue(given that I am too old to offer anything valuable on the topic) – daughter felt that girls dressed up more at WSU, at least to go out at nights, than they do at UO where things, she thinks, are somewhat more casual. She often bemoans the fact that girls at UO seem to prefer the “natural” (no make up/nothing done to hair) look which she feels many of them can not adequately pull off- at least not to the degree they think they can. She thought UW was somewhere in between the two – dressier than UO but not as much as WSU. OSU – who knows. Never bothered paying attention to them – for any reason.

Lastly …..seriously. The cheese comes up in yet another thread???!!! Every time this happens my best friend gets one more “I told you so” point. I really HATE being wrong.

Last edited by AXOmom; 02-14-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
Well, well, well VandalSquirrel – I have been a kindred spirit with you on the whole Boise State thing and then you do this…..stab me in the back by throwing my Zags under the bus and lumping them with that bunch. It’s like bombing Pearl Harbor – now I have no choice but to declare war on you and your Vandal tribe!

From my point of view, which I’ve arbitrarily decided is the only one that counts , Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and Idaho are western states but not west coast states. West coast states are states that border the Pacific which would be California, Oregon, and Washington. Yes, I know there are people living all over the Midwest, South, and East Coast who are completely unaware that any state other than California borders the Pacific Coast, but there are actually two more of them.

Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon are a thing unto themselves in that they don’t really share the personality, culture, politics of the west (wet) sides of their states and seem to feel more affinity for the western states particularly Idaho and Montana – at least in the case of Eastern Washington. I know, thinking about that last sentence can leave one wondering which way is up (or at least east or west) and make one dizzy, but nonetheless – I stand by it.

On the clothing issue(given that I am too old to offer anything valuable on the topic) – daughter felt that girls dressed up more at WSU, at least to go out at nights, than they do at UO where things, she thinks, are somewhat more casual. She often bemoans the fact that girls at UO seem to prefer the “natural” (no make up/nothing done to hair) look which she feels many of them can not adequately pull off- at least not to the degree they think they can. She thought UW was somewhere in between the two – dressier than UO but not as much as WSU. OSU – who knows. Never bothered paying attention to them – for any reason.

Lastly …..seriously. The cheese comes up in yet another thread???!!! Every time this happens my best friend gets one more “I told you so” point. I really HATE being wrong.
Oh no no no, I wasn't insulting the Zags, but using them as a comparison. The Zags are really good at basketball, much like BSU is known for football, whereas the Vandals are good at neither and are non-threatening. My one and only issue with the Bulldogs was allowing Adam Morrison's creepy mustache to get so much air time in 2006.

Most people don't realize that Idaho has two state capitals, Spokane and Salt Lake City. I'm not sure of the exact defining line, but I'd say it is the Idaho/Valley county line. Poor Idaho County has the Pacific/Mountain timezone running through it, I have no idea why it isn't just moved to the county line instead of the Salmon River so people in a county can live in the same time zone.

Both the cheese and the ice cream were discussed at my League of Women Voters Celebration dinner party tonight, we take our agricultural products so seriously a majority of my meat is Vandal Brand Meat I can buy on campus.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Whew! Okay then I can go back to supporting you on all things regarding Boise State and their evil ways. I will call back the troops and the Vandals and I will be at peace once again. War averted.

As much as I love them, you'll get no disagreement from me on Adam Morrison who, despite his considerable talents, was NOT my favorite Zag by any stretch. He actually graduated from my children's HS where he was not exactly beloved. My husband worked at Gonzaga for awhile, so we often had the priests (and one nun) that hubbie worked with over to our house for dinner. They didn't care for him either. When you're the star of the basketball team but four priests and a nun from your basketball school don't like you - it ain't good.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

1) I live in the SOUTHWEST, in the SONORAN DESERT. And there is no way I'd give fashion advice, based on what I see at the University of Arizona. I ask myself "where did they buy that?" at least five or six times each time I'm on campus.

2) damned Cougar Cheese. I can't stop eating it. It is THAT GOOD.

3) Reno: OP, did you check out any of the chapters' Facebook pages for clothing ideas? I have asked my friends who are in Reno (and attended UNR), but they aren't college aged any longer. As the recent troll said, they are "elderly" (but not ancient, nor are they old farts and fartesses, or fossils). But they aren't under 21, either.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^my thoughts when I see the girls are "how do you walk in those" and "i hope you have underwear on!" and "i hope you don't have to bend over" short and tight seems to be the rage.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
^^^my thoughts when I see the girls are "how do you walk in those" and "i hope you have underwear on!" and "i hope you don't have to bend over" short and tight seems to be the rage.
and and and

(can you hear me howling with laughter all the way up in Phoenix? especially the underwear part of your statement! They can't sit down, and if they drop anything it's gone forever!)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
3) Reno: OP, did you check out any of the chapters' Facebook pages for clothing ideas? I have asked my friends who are in Reno (and attended UNR), but they aren't college aged any longer. As the recent troll said, they are "elderly" (but not ancient, nor are they old farts and fartesses, or fossils). But they aren't under 21, either.
Ya, I have been looking around, I just wanted to see if anybody had any experience in my particular area. I am getting some helpful information from other threads though.