GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,220
0 members and 1,220 guests
No Members online

Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

At what age is too old to pledge?

I'm going to be 24 years old when I transfer to UCLA and am wondering if my age will negatively affect my ability to not only get a bid but also have an enjoyable college experience. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're looking to join an NPC sorority, yes, it will affect your ability to get a bid, especially combined with the fact that you'll be a transfer and not know anyone.

As to whether it will deter you from having an enjoyable college experience, it is what you make of it. There are plenty of things that can make a college experience enjoyable outside of a sorority.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're seeking to join a non-NPC sorority, your age will make no difference.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvl06 View Post
I'm going to be 24 years old when I transfer to UCLA and am wondering if my age will negatively affect my ability to not only get a bid but also have an enjoyable college experience. Thank you for your help.
I don't know how it will affect your chance at receiving a bid, but I know your age will not affect your ability to have an enjoyable college experience. There are so many student organizations from which to choose, the only thing that could possibly keep you from enjoying college is you.

I was a bit older than the typical transfer student when I transferred to my (somewhat) competitive Florida university. I seriously considered registering for recruitment but at the last moment changed my mind. I realized I would be older than a lot of the girls in sororities. My goals, outlook, experiences, etc. would differ drastically. I continued to look for other organizations where I could get involved, and that's where I found my Fraternity.

You'll find lots of opportunities to get involved on campus, though not necessarily with a traditional sorority. Figure out what you are truly looking for and keep an open mind when looking at other organizations. You'll be surprised at what you find.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928

Last edited by chickenoodle; 11-18-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: plz to have grammar?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

This may sound silly, but what is the difference between a NPC sorority and a non-NPC sorority?
Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Please know that while UCLA takes a large number of transfers from local CCs the transfers are 20ish. Obviously the majority of pnms range in age from 18 to 20. Generally speaking your level of maturity is on a totally different level than a teenager. The boys that will frequent the houses are younger than you. I don't know if there is a "do over", but in general (knowing that I have a 23 year old daughter) I would say that you wouldn't have a lot in common with 18 year old girls.