GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,926
1 members and 1,925 guests
Titchou

Old 05-19-2003, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

South Africa

Sorors and SF's (heck Frat and other Bruhs, too),

I will be leaving for South Africa on May 30 to conduct HIV research this summer. I am really not too hip on flying overseas for 26 hours or what not.

Please say a little prayer for a sistah's safe arrival and return and that of my only child who will be leaving the US to come to South Africa during July.

I am really excited about the opportunity and the Creator opening this door for me...but I will be missing Soul Food and Six Feet Under's season finale on June 1, which is when I leave for France.

Keep the threads rolling because I will probably be going broke trying to keep up with what's going on in the states (and on my shows) via internet.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2003, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

SOROR DELTABRAT,

CONGRATS on this fabulous opportunity. Take books to read for your flight. We will keep you and your child covered in prayer for safe trips there and back.

How long will you be in South Africa?
Old 05-19-2003, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Go 'head, girl!!!!!

This is AWESOME news!!! What a great opportunity!!! *sigh* I want to see pictures!! And I want to hear ALL about it when you get back!! I have a friend who is going to SA tomorrow for a visit!!! When will you be back? And what will you do with the research upon returning to the States? GreekChatters are doing BIG things this summer, y'all!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!! Do you get to layover in France?? For how long? Have a safe trip, and I'll keep you and Little DELTABRAT in my prayers!
Old 05-19-2003, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for the responses.

Uhm..okay. I will be in Philly (as in Philadelphia from May 30 until June 1) then in France June 1 through June 5, then in South Africa from June 5 until August 22. My son will be there from July 12 until August 10 (he and my mom).

I will be conducting some preliminary data analysis on survey data that was collected from adolescents in terms behavioral risks for HIV.

Upon my return, I will most likely try and get a few papers published from the data and present at some of the professional conferences.

I am interested in HIV prevention at the international level, hence the reason I am going to SA. Domestically, however, I am interested in HIV infected populations and access to and utilization of available health services, treatment and other medical care. Specifically minority (REALLY Afrcian American) women and the way that competing needs (REALLY caregiving responsibilities) impact use of services and treatment adherence and gender disparities with regard to use of services for those infected with HIV.

SO...all that to say, perhaps I will do some comparative studies between SA and the USA. Also, between Uganda and USA. HIV is really crackin' in Uganda but SA is the HOT SPOT!

We'll see.

Sorry, didn't mean to run down my whole dissertation topic but it helps me to get it all straight in my brain when I have to write it out.

Hopefully I will, no I WILL be getting my shop on in France though...beleedat!
Old 07-07-2003, 06:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorors and SFs:

What can I say? I have been in South Africa for almost one month on Sunday. I will be here for two more months. My baby comes next week. I don't have the heart to tell him it ain't the Lion King up in this piece...

My AIDS research is going well, very well. Most of the people here are in denial regarding AIDS and stigma is horrible. Most people don't want to touch someone with AIDS and will shut them out if they know they have it...kids and all...so people live in denial and "pretend" they don't know they or their family members have it. About 6,000 people die per day. It's crazy an getting worse.

I have to vent though...

The conditions of Black South Africans is completely devastating. I don't think words can express how utterly disgusted I am with White South Africans here. On a good note, it is beautiful here. A disclaimer is needed however, because the beautiful parts are ONLY where the white people live. In the townships, there is abject poverty beyond belief. I have never in my life seen so many children, barely clothed, begging for food. One child was at my door when I returned home one evening asking for money. I had earlier in the day found 20ZAR (20 South African Rand, which is almost $3.00) so I am sure it is obvious what I did. It wasn't my money to start with and in the end it wasn't anyway. 20ZAR gets you pretty much nothing here. The conversion is okay, for those of us with American bank accounts, but I can only imagine why there is so much poverty...a friggin' sandwich costs 30ZAR... There is cheap food Rand pre Can fish, which is basically sardines...last week a newsletter went out stating that cyanide had been found in the fish killing hundreds of people.

Most of these children and AIDS orphans or child sex workers. They are so young...maybe 5 or 6. After I gave a few my food yesterday, they proceeded to get high inhaling glue fumes from a plastic bag or plastic bottle container. I can't tell you how many kids I have seen doing this. They are street kids and as I stated, most are AIDS orphans.

Oh, not the White kids, just the Black ones. The White people are living LARGE..Camps Bay is literally like Malibu, CA. The only Black people there are parking cars maybe pumping gas or some random shyt.

I have pretty much worn out my colleagues in terms of me complaining about the conditions...about how Dutch ad English people could completely rape this land and make Blacks feel subordinate to them. There are places that I can go to but Black South Africans cannot...so I don't go. My colleagues are sick and tired of me so I have nowhere to turn but to GC...

Next year affirmative action ends (10 years after Apartheid). I had an Afikaner male tell me he'll be glad so that he won't lose jobs to less qualified Blacks. SHIT! It took everything I had NOT to go Compton on him. He proceeded to tell e that the language of SA was Afrikaans and not what "they" will tell you..Zulu or Xhosa. He sad that whenever a Black person TRIES to speak English to him, he pretends he doesn't understand, so they HAVE to speak Afrikaans. The students here had a holiday, called Youth Day to commemorate uprisings at the beginning of Apartheid when Malan of the National Party came into office and demanded that all youth learn Afrikaner history and making Afrikaans the "official" language of South Africa. It was beautiful. People will march and protest some shyt in a minute.

I am really angry. Tonight I will go to the ONLY Black owned restaurant in Cape Town. How the hell can that be? I can only imagine.

I will read the "how to post pics" thread and post pictures ASAP.

Have a great summer...it is winter here but no rain, which I guess is abnormal..besides the impact of that on famine and low crops, which is more important than me having sunny days, I wasn't trying to see no rain no way...
Old 07-07-2003, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Africa

Your story is very very touching and emotional Soror Deltabrat.
Being from an African Country, Nigeria, I know first hand how it is to live in poverty. Thank GOD my parents were able to come to the States, seeking a better life for our family. What the media showes us is not all ture. The poverty level in most African countries are beyond beliefe. Most African countries are 100 years behind the rest of the world. War, famine and political uprising has torn most countires apart, mine included.

We take common luxury for granted. We take the fact that we can turn on a faucet and get running water, for granted. It makes me sad to think about my grandmother living in a country where the goverment will cut the electricity for no reason and for you to have it back on, you have to bribe the conductors or whom ever is working there.

Stories like these makes you very grateful for what we have and very blessed.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror DeltaBrat,

Thank you for sharing. Between you and Monique sharing your experiences, you 2 have made Africa a far more tangible place in my mind.

Your son will see Africa and learn to appreciate what he has here in America so much more. You have taken on a huge undertaking and are commended for it. You are starting your son off at an early age to be educated about Africa -- not just via textbooks, but with his own eyes.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Lord. The whole situation is so sad. We don't realize how much we take for granted and as much as I complain about the United States, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I wish you success in your AIDS research.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

2/3's of the people in the world with AIDS live in Sub-Saharan Africa according to my Geography Professor who's from Nigeria.

We are so grateful to people like you who are dedicated to generating awareness and change.

I hear you and respect that you have taken a stand by not going to those places that exclude some and not others. Please consider this: if you go, you may be exposed to something that can help your research or broaden your perspective. I am grateful that there are people like you who are willing to take a stand, however.

I'll pray for you and your safe return. Stay strong.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences. i can feel your passion and frustration through your post. Don't let the enormity (sp?) of the task disuade you from doing what you have been called to do. Even if you save or help only one, think of the difference you have made. There was an article in yesterday's Atlanta Journal Constitution that talked about the crisis as we prepare for President Bush to visit. I hope we continue to shine the light so there can be help.

A popular morning show in Atlanta has gone to South African on a trip the past few years. Funny we don't really hear what you are talking about during their "fun in the sun" trips.

You and Idea; are increasing my resolve to get to the Motherland one day!!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Why is Bush here today? Why? Why did some random people start yelling at me on the combie coming in to work today? Why? Why had some bullshyt better NOT happen to my son and mom on their way here because this idiot wants to coax African Americans into believeing that he has Africa's best interest at heart when he doesn't just to get our sympathy (read:votes)?

Thanks for your comments and words of encouragement. Really, they mean a lot.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:59 AM

Interesting
As a native of Nigeria, and a fellow researcher in the health field, I'm glad ur on the continent doing big thangs! I'm also glad that its helpin broaden ur horizon, cause I swear the next time someone asks me if my people live on trees and ride elephants, I might have to hold myself, or swing on smeone SHoot I might have to post some pics taken of previous family visits

Ignorance is sad, and people need to step out of their comfort zone, and reach out, cause u never know how outside is, if u spend all days indoors.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy still crying

Ok, so I thought I was done crying, but you got me started again. The poverty over there is ridiculous!!!!! I can't wait to see your pictures. We have to compare notes. How can the richest continent on the planet in resources house so much poverty? It makes no sense how the entire continent is getting robbed. I am simply outdone. But what is really killing me is the racism. See, there is classism in Ethiopia, but there aren't too many white folks, so no racism. It's a good thing it was never colonized, or it might have these same issues. I am SO wanting to travel the whole continent right now. Thank you for sharing and come back and share some more. I'll email you or PM you about other stuff.