GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,274
1 members and 1,273 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-02-2004, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I've always thought arranged marriages were like everyone else has said ... two families basically decide who their son/daughter is going to marry.

The movie "Bend it Like Beckham" kind of illustrates that idea because the family portrayed in that movie is from India.

Another example of an arranged marriage is kind of like how "back in the day" the King and Queen of ABC country would make a contract with another King & Queen and basically say their children will marry each other.

The second part to the arranged marriages question does sound more like a blind date than anything.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

TauAlumna, what you're talking about sounds like what some people are calling courtship. I've seen it done several ways. In one, the 2 sets of parents are involved and one set goes to the other and asks permission for their child to become involved in a relationship with the goal of marriage to the other. This bothers me and I don't know how much choice their children have--or think they have. I hear that many American and Canadian homeschooling families pursue this.

The other form is done by the young people themselves...I've seen it undertaken by several college-aged couples. They don't really date anyone until they meet someone they're interested in pursuing marriage with and then they date with marriage in mind from the very start.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
If that's all that you are aware of, it could work. In a sociecty where we are aware of our choices, I believe that an arranged marriage equals arranged misery.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Taualumna....
So are you saying that you agree with arranged marriages? Like you would want one yourself?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Too many people today just marry someone because of THEIR feelings, which may very well lead to "issues" with the family.
Sorry, but I believe marriage is about me and my loved one and if our families truly love us, they'll make it work and if not, screw them....OK, I'm a bit jaded and bitter right now because my Dad hates my boyfriend, but my mother said she just wants me to be happy...thanks Mom
Old 01-02-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by absolutuscchick
Taualumna....
So are you saying that you agree with arranged marriages? Like you would want one yourself?
Yes I definitely would agree to one, as long as we (the guy and myself) have time to get to know each other and we get to make our own decision as to whether to pursue the marriage or not. I would never marry a man my parents don't approve of. I don't like disappointing my family.

Last edited by Taualumna; 01-02-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Sorry, but I believe marriage is about me and my loved one and if our families truly love us, they'll make it work and if not, screw them....OK, I'm a bit jaded and bitter right now because my Dad hates my boyfriend, but my mother said she just wants me to be happy...thanks Mom
I agree with you. I'm not looking for someone who fits my parents views....because THEY'RE not the ones marrying him. And I know, that no matter what, my parents just want me to be happy, and they trust me....so any decision I will make, they're going to support me....eventually.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

Only in backwards areas do people have arranged marriages where you have no say. Most Arab countries where women have no rights are like that. Iranians introduce you and you're expected to marry them shortly but you can say no and see other recommendations. There are no long times for falling in love and more than likely you don't marry just for love so it doesn't happen before the marriage.

You don't have people marrying and divorcing, marriages in Vegas, a wife that hates the husband's family, etc. There is much more stablity and you don't have the problems that hound American couples.

-Rudey
Old 01-02-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Rudey, I PMed you!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I knew a girl in highschool who spend her senior year engaged and married shortly after graduation. She said that she was lucky that she was allowed to graduate. In her culture girls were married immediately at 18 or even younger. She was sincerely happy and excited about her wedding and her life as a wife. While my classmates and I were applying to college, she was planning her wedding. When we graduated, the school had a list of the seniors and our colleges. Next to her name, they wrote "Wedded Bliss." She said that she could choose the groom, but they were introduced when she was 16 and engaged the summer before senior year. I am not sure how much choice she really had in the matter. I have no idea if/how this worked out because I haven't kept in touch.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd so go for an arranged marriage. I've already proved that I don't do a good job of picking my own men... I trust my parents' judgement. I don't really believe you "fall" in love, I believe it develops and is mainly decision and action, so I think it could work.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

You don't have people marrying and divorcing, marriages in Vegas, a wife that hates the husband's family, etc. There is much more stablity and you don't have the problems that hound American couples.

-Rudey
actually, you don't have divorces because you are not allowed to get divorced. you will shame your family...and you will be damaged goods (so to speak). what you do have is a high rate of adultery- although it is the man who is the cheater bc the woman isn't allowed. you also have very unhappy marriages because two people don't have anything in common. you also don't have the happy family thing you may expect. in my friend's family, his mother is completely mistreated by his father's family. his parents have been married more than 30 years and it has never gotten better. mainly what you get is two people who are forced to stay together even tho they don't want to and they are basically miserable...and then bring that miserableness to the family that they are supposed to have becuase their parents said so.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
actually, you don't have divorces because you are not allowed to get divorced. you will shame your family...and you will be damaged goods (so to speak). what you do have is a high rate of adultery- although it is the man who is the cheater bc the woman isn't allowed. you also have very unhappy marriages because two people don't have anything in common. you also don't have the happy family thing you may expect. in my friend's family, his mother is completely mistreated by his father's family. his parents have been married more than 30 years and it has never gotten better. mainly what you get is two people who are forced to stay together even tho they don't want to and they are basically miserable...and then bring that miserableness to the family that they are supposed to have becuase their parents said so.
That makes no sense and you have no statistics on it, just the experience of one friend. I don't care if you had the experience of 10 friends. I have the experience of someone in the culture. Someone that knows parents have the child's interests at heart. Parents that know it's not good for either party to be miserable. I don't even know where the adultery came from. What culture is it where adultery is easy, whore houses plentiful, and arranged marriages the norm? I'd love to know.

Nobody is claiming in these countries that there aren't backwards cultures where women are treated badly - just that these marriages have worked out well for many people and avoid divorce as well as the problems leading to divorce because they force you to consider the immediate and extended family as opposed to yourself.

-Rudey
--And I would know about a couple hundred families who enjoy life more and never fight - all arranged marriages.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
That makes no sense and you have no statistics on it, just the experience of one friend. I don't care if you had the experience of 10 friends. I have the experience of someone in the culture. Someone that knows parents have the child's interests at heart. Parents that know it's not good for either party to be miserable. I don't even know where the adultery came from. What culture is it where adultery is easy, whore houses plentiful, and arranged marriages the norm? I'd love to know.

Well, there were definitely lots of brothels in pre-communist China. However, guys were allowed to have multiple wives as well. In China, back in those days, having lots of wives was like guys today having lots of techy-gagets and cars (and I guess us girls having lots of shoes and purses?) But that was a long time ago when women didn't have as much freedom as they do today.

Last edited by Taualumna; 01-03-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Rudy,

But isn't it true that in cultures that practice arranged marriages, it is done out of necessity. But I wonder rudy, how easy is it for women in Iran (or other countries that predominately practice arranged marriages) to get a divorce if they are unhappy with the marriage? there are all sorts of stigmas attached to divorced women. Its not easy. I am from one of those countries and trust me, families (extended) get involved..and most families try to avoid that..so they don't get divorced. drama drama drama.

But to each his own. I know of many people who have had arranged marriages, and they seem to be getting along (or so I think ..)