GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,242
2 members and 1,240 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 12-15-2003, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cluey
Short answer, yes.

I'm not down with the whole James Carville and Mary Matalin type relationship.
Ditto. We actually discussed this in my LJ a little.

And Russel, last year a bunch of us student gov't people took that quiz and my then-boyfriend was the only person more leftist than me!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2003, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Re: Left vs. Right is a False Dichotomy

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
You can check out the Libertarian Party at http://www.LP.org/

or check out this on line quiz

I scored as follows:
Your Personal Self-Government Score is 80%
Your Economic Self-Government Score is 70%
I'm in the Libertarian quadrant, slightly towards the "Left Liberal" side.
I think I've taken this quiz before....anyhow this is how I scored!!

Your Personal Self-Government Score is 90%.
Your Economic Self-Government Score is 20%.
I'm a Left-Liberal!!!
Left-Liberals prefer self-government in personal matters and central decision-making on economics. They want government to serve the disadvantaged in the name of fairness. Leftists tolerate social diversity, but work for economic equality.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Ditto. We actually discussed this in my LJ a little.

And Russell, last year a bunch of us student gov't people took that quiz and my then-boyfriend was the only person more leftist than me!
That is so very, very sad.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
it's always nice when the boy is a republican like myself, but i also like to get in lil arguments to keep things interesting.....which is probably why my longest relaionships have always been with democrats. most of my friends are dems, too....i'm weird, what can ya say?

mr. agdiva is a democrat....but i think really he's a repub in hiding.......i think i can turn him to the right way.

My Facebook
Old 12-15-2003, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is so very, very sad.
What, that I'm not ashamed to admit I'm liberal? Go ahead, criticize me for caring.

Or is it that I'll only date men I agree with politically? Considering my chosen career path, it's only a logical decision.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've also worked professionally in politics. Trust me, Democrat women are much more "fun."
I knew it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Some of my political beliefs, such as the right to choose, are so central to my being that I could not envision myself having a partner who did not share those.
Me too. I could date someone who had conservative opinions on some issues, but others are just not arguable. I could date someone who believed in the death penalty, for example, but I could not date anyone who doesn't agree with the right to choose.

I don't think I could ever date anyone who was more right than moderate. Given the fact that I've have a decent number of political discussions (and disagreements) with boyfriends who are also on the left, I think dating a conservative would be just a little too much!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
What, that I'm not ashamed to admit I'm liberal? Go ahead, criticize me for caring.

Or is it that I'll only date men I agree with politically? Considering my chosen career path, it's only a logical decision.
I was poking fun at you for holding political beliefs different from my own. I'm sorry if you interpreted that as an attack.

As far as being liberal goes, and this is not directed at you, I resent the way that the word "liberal" has been distorted in the US over the last several decades. I am a liberal, in the classical 19th Century definition of the word. That means that I am not left wing. It does mean that I believe in liberalized markets, not only for goods and services, but also for the free exchange of ideas.

In much of Europe, being a "liberal" means that your political beliefs are similar to moderate libertarianism in the US. In Australia, the Liberal Party is the leading right wing party.

A great irony of the distortion of the word "liberal" in the US is that a liberal arts education requires a strict adherance to a grammar, and proper word definitions, so that discourse does not devolve into a "Tower of Babel" like environment.

ETA Australian Liberal Party beliefs

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 12-15-2003 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was poking fun at you for holding political beliefs different from my own. I'm sorry if you interpreted that as an attack.

As far as being liberal goes, and this is not directed at you, I resent the way that the word "liberal" has been distorted in the US over the last several decades. I am a liberal, in the classical 19th Century definition of the word. That means that I am not left wing. It does mean that I believe in liberalized markets, not only for goods and services, but also for the free exchange of ideas.

In much of Europe, being a "liberal" means that your political beliefs are similar to moderate libertarianism in the US. In Australia, the Liberal Party is the leading right wing party.

A great irony of the distortion of the word "liberal" in the US is that a liberal arts education requires a strict adherance to a grammar, and proper word definitions, so that discourse does not devolve into a "Tower of Babel" like environment.

ETA Australian Liberal Party beliefs
I'm a liberal in the American sense - I'm a bleeding-heart, pro-choice, anti-death penalty hippie dippie Babs Fembot. Most of the "names" Kitso has called me are true. I'm not ashamed of it, and I don't think I could EVER date anybody who was "pro-life." I have a good friend who's a very moderate Republican, and I could probably handle dating him if I found him sexually attractive, which I don't. I'm a very political animal and there is no way I could handle dating somebody who didn't share the same beliefs I did on my core issues.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:01 PM

Re: Since some of you are so passionate about politics...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I have a question.

Do you only date inside your political party? Or, is this a non-issue?

i prefer strongly to date republicans/conservatives.........i've gone the more liberal route before........and it just leads to arguments...........not lil spats, but big arguments....... So I dont think it's in my best interests to go another route there.......
Old 12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
pro-choice
That irks me too. I am truly pro-choice. About everything. I support a woman's right to an abortion (all the way through the 75th trimester ), I support school choice, I support the legalization of drugs and prostitution.

In my opinion, if you support any laws designed to protect a person from himself, then you are not pro-choice. The whole "pro-choice" onley refers to women's reproductive rights is intellectually dishonest, and little more than marketing.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 12-16-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
i took it too

Your Personal Self-Government Score is 80%.
Your Economic Self-Government Score is 20%.

I'm a left liberal, exactly in the middle of the left-liberal section.

to answer the question, i mostly date republicans, which makes sense because i love to debate/have intelligent arguements with people, and differeing political philosiphies definitely contribute to that.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I'm so right smack down the middle that political views really don't make that big of an impact on me. There are some things that I'm really passionate about, but they're usually on opposite viewpoints, so it all cancels out, and then I'm in the middle on the rest of the issues. I think that if someone was really hard-core one way or the other, I might have issues with it, but it really doesn't matter that much to me.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 12-18-2003, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope no one goes and date and only talks about politics. But if they do, I hope they either agree with each other and fall in love with the other's ideals, or have a huge debate the whole night and then have angry sex.

Eitherway, that would be the worst date ever.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Except the angry sex. That should happen anyway. I shouldn't have to tell people why they suck at politics just to have sex with them.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: atlanta....its hot here... cant breath... too humid... helppp
I prefer dating left-of-center guys. I used to think it would be a non-issue until I dated a few republicans... then i realized that yes, maybe i can 'date' republicans with little to no ill effects... but marry them?? Hell to the NAH