GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,638
1 members and 1,637 guests
indygphib

Old 09-25-2019, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Sororities at Mississippi State

Hi! I'm currently a member of Alpha Delta Pi at Mississippi State University and am really interested in finding out more about the history of sororities on our campus. I feel like there isn't much information available, especially about chapters that are now inactive. I was able to find out a little bit about what happened to our chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta, but nothing on our former chapters of Kappa Kappa Gamma or Alpha Chi Omega, or what happened with Alpha Omicron Pi and why they never chartered. I feel like there isn't even much info available on the original Epsilon Eta chapter before we left campus in the eighties. If anyone knows anything about these chapters please let me know, I would love to find out more about Alpha Delta Pi and Panhellenic's history on our campus!
Old 09-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

KKG, ADPi, and Alpha Chi left campus. We were told that AOII had several events and didn't have enough women who qualified to charter their colony.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
KKG, ADPi, and Alpha Chi left campus. We were told that AOII had several events and didn't have enough women who qualified to charter their colony.
Is there any information on why they left though? And why Kappa's plans to recolonize in 2016 fell through?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I used to be assistant Greek advisor there but I don't feel comfortable sharing that.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Yes this is true from what I remember. I was chapter adviser at the time at Ole Miss. I also think the only house available was the old AGD house and I think it needed more renovations then it was worth (at that time). I think it was a wise call by our staff, executive board, and colonization teams at that time to take a step back. I feel certain if MSU's panhellenic opens for extension again, AOII will take a long and hard look at MSU again.

As far as history of Greek life there, I would look in your library archives at the yearbooks. It looks like MSU has them digitized like Ole Miss so they are online! The yearbooks can reveal lots! My husband is a State grad and I am pretty sure AGD was still on campus in the late 1990s when he was there.
http://lib.msstate.edu/specialcollec...pubs/#reveille
Old 09-25-2019, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, I also have this memory that we didn't have that many local alumnae in the Starkville/Columbus/Triangle Area back then....just something random I remember. And as you know, it takes lots of alumnae to support a new and growing chapter as advisers. I would think we probably have more now but I haven't looked at our numbers in the State of MS of alumnae in a long long time!
Old 09-25-2019, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesi View Post
I was able to find out a little bit about what happened to our chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta,
As an Alpha Gam, I'd be curious to hear what you found out about why our chapter closed. I have no idea what happened to our chapter there.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
As an Alpha Gam, I'd be curious to hear what you found out about why our chapter closed. I have no idea what happened to our chapter there.
I had no idea they were ever here either until I started digging! They came on campus around 1989 as the Theta Theta chapter and apparently were one of the more tightly knit sisterhoods on campus but never really gained that much of a presence on campus and their numbers dropped off. They were told they had until May 2002 to get so many new girls to keep their charter and had been successfully recruiting and giving out bids but nationals came in February and told them they were being shut down. They tried to file for an appeal and got tons of support from other sororities on campus and national chapters of Alpha Gam but they were still shut down. They had a house on campus and everything, you can find pictures of it if you just google Mississippi State University Alpha Gamma Delta. Apparently its still on campus and still owned by Alpha Gamma Delta and is being used for office space. I drove around the row and buildings by it last night trying to find it and couldn't find a building that looked similar.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

If you Google the address, it's the Delta Chi house now.
http://msstatedeltachi.com/photos/