GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,594
1 members and 1,593 guests
haleyjuniroz689

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

APhiA the first black fraternity?

Good morning everyone. So I was doing some research because I love learning new information. And I learned of Sigma Pi Phi, which apparently is the first black frat. All this time though, I've known Alpha Phi Alpha as the first. Is that in reference to just being the first of the Divine 9?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishaelle View Post
Good morning everyone. So I was doing some research because I love learning new information. And I learned of Sigma Pi Phi, which apparently is the first black frat. All this time though, I've known Alpha Phi Alpha as the first. Is that in reference to just being the first of the Divine 9?
The Boule is not a college fraternity. APA was founded as the first African American college fraternity. So, yes in ref. to the D9, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. is the first.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
The Boule is not a college fraternity. APA was founded as the first African American college fraternity. So, yes in ref. to the D9, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. is the first.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._organizations for a list with links. Alpha Phi Alpha is the oldest surviving African American Collegiate Fraternity. there are older that didn't survive including Alpha Kappa Nu which was started at Indiana in 1903 and had a second chapter at Wilberforce.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._organizations for a list with links. Alpha Phi Alpha is the oldest surviving African American Collegiate Fraternity. there are older that didn't survive including Alpha Kappa Nu which was started at Indiana in 1903 and had a second chapter at Wilberforce.
Oh that's interesting, never heard of Alpha Kappa Nu. Learned something new to look up.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

So I read up on it, and from what I read Alpha Kappa Nu may have evolved into what is now Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity? There's no concrete evidence of that, but what I read insinuated that it could be true.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Naraht, I stand by what I wrote. It's in context to what she asked.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishaelle View Post
So I read up on it, and from what I read Alpha Kappa Nu may have evolved into what is now Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity? There's no concrete evidence of that, but what I read insinuated that it could be true.
Kappas love insinuations.

Alpha Kappa Nu is a defunct organization that incidentally existed at IU before Kappa.

Alpha is the first of the NPHC.