GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,247
3 members and 1,244 guests
prettyandpearls, samuepetrovo164

Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Historian

Hello All!,
I have been given the position of Historian for my sorority and was wondering what your chapter has done with this position. I want to bring creativity to this position and would like to engage as many sisters as possible
Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the bylaws of your chapter and whether Archivist is a separate position.

First, know that Historian is a writer's position. At the end of your term, you should submit as your final report a document which is the official history of the chapter during your term as historian. That report, once adopted at a chapter meeting (or whatever action your chapter has deemed appropriate) becomes the official record of the chapter.

It is likely to only be a page or two, and that's okay.

Additionally, make sure you collect the chapter meeting minutes, committee reports, board minutes, etc. Bind them.

As for ongoing projects, Historians often participate in planning chapter anniversaries, maintaining family trees, and taking (and organizing photos).

Good luck in your position!
Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

One piece of advice I can give as a former chapter historian is to write the chapter history out while the events are happening, not at the end of your term when you don't remember anything! I was given this advice and ignored it but it really will make your life so much easier to even have a bulleted list of big events to draw from.

My chapter also made a yearbook using Snapfish every year and pulling photos off of Facebook got to be a huge hassle, so if you have people send you the original pictures or store them in a Google Drive somewhere you'll have high-quality versions to access for anything you need. I also had to submit updates to our national magazine so having those original photos helped for that too.