GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,643
2 members and 1,641 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-02-2020, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Multiple Title IX exempt group membership.

For members of the NIC, NPC and NPHC (all of which are Title IX exempt) are there other Title IX exempt groups that you would feel comfortable with a member of your group also belonging to?

The only examples I can think of might be Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (for men) and Sigma Alpha Iota (for women). Are there others?

Are there other pairs of organizations that fit this other than (possibly) Y and Sinfonia or Z and SAI?

This is as a general practice, not exclusive to the letter of the rules. Omega Psi Phi is not an NIC member, and as such I *guess* you could legally have someone who is a brother of both Omega Psi Phi and Sigma Nu.

I'm also excluding Honorary memberships here, so President Trump receiving honorary membership in both ZBT and AEPi isn't an example here.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Clarifying question:

Is it the character of an organization which makes it Title IX exempt, or is there a determination letter?

I never thought about that before now.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Clarifying question:

Is it the character of an organization which makes it Title IX exempt, or is there a determination letter?

I never thought about that before now.
SAI received our exemption via a letter from the office of Civil Rights in 1981 because it was determined that, while we specialized in music, we were originally established to foster close relationships among women musicians; therefore, we were deemed a social organization. As long as our membership criteria was expanded to include women from any area of study and require completion of one only music course we remain Title IX exempt.

I'm not sure what new organizations that lean towards a speciality area but want to remain single sex would have to do.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Maybe some of the Christian GLOs that are not NIC, NPC, or NPHC? I know the Wikipedia page for Sigma_Phi_Lambda mentions that sisters are not forbidden from joining another GLO.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
Maybe some of the Christian GLOs that are not NIC, NPC, or NPHC? I know the Wikipedia page for Sigma_Phi_Lambda mentions that sisters are not forbidden from joining another GLO.
In that regards, the sororities are slightly more likely, since a Christian Fraternity of about the same age and size (30+ years, 30+ chapters) (Beta Upsilon Chi) was able to join the NIC.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I *guess* you could legally have someone who is a brother of both Omega Psi Phi and Sigma Nu.
Nope.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-12-2020, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Nope.
How are Sigma Nu's bylaws written that would exclude an Omega Psi Phi brother from joining? And would that also include a Sinfonia brother from joining?

(I picked Sigma Nu at random from the non-NPHC members of the NIC)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

We don't allow dual membership in any general college fraternity. The term isn't defined, but as applied, I would say that it would apply to Omega Psi Phi, probably Sinfonia as well, but that'd be a closer question, and definitely not to a professional honorary fraternity.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma