GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,741
2 members and 1,739 guests
nataliecavsoz41, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

No. Kappa Nu merged with Phi Epsilon Pi in 1961, which then merged with Zeta Beta Tau in 1970.

And Phi Alpha merged into Phi Sigma Delta in 1959, which merged into Zeta Beta Tau in 1969.

To clarify, ZBT had only 2 mergers....Phi Sigma Delta (1969) and Phi Epsilon Pi (1970).

However Zeta Beta Tau says
"ZBT is a Brotherhood of Kappa Nu, Phi Alpha, Phi Epsilon Pi, Phi Sigma Delta and Zeta Beta Tau."

The reason why is that an agreement was made in writing with Phi Sigma Delta and Phi Epsilon Pi that all former members of the merged fraternities including Phi Alpha and Kappa Nu would received Alumni recognition into the ZBT Brotherhood. ZBT Nationally wanted to retain all former members of the 4 merged fraternities so they would be able to continue their contribution to the Fraternity by serving as Chapter Advisors, Supreme Council Advisors, Foundation & Housing Directors, National Staff, etc.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
No. Kappa Nu merged with Phi Epsilon Pi in 1961, which then merged with Zeta Beta Tau in 1970.

And Phi Alpha merged into Phi Sigma Delta in 1959, which merged into Zeta Beta Tau in 1969.

To clarify, ZBT had only 2 mergers....Phi Sigma Delta (1969) and Phi Epsilon Pi (1970).

However Zeta Beta Tau says
"ZBT is a Brotherhood of Kappa Nu, Phi Alpha, Phi Epsilon Pi, Phi Sigma Delta and Zeta Beta Tau."

The reason why is that an agreement was made in writing with Phi Sigma Delta and Phi Epsilon Pi that all former members of the merged fraternities including Phi Alpha and Kappa Nu would received Alumni recognition into the ZBT Brotherhood. ZBT Nationally wanted to retain all former members of the 4 merged fraternities so they would be able to continue their contribution to the Fraternity by serving as Chapter Advisors, Supreme Council Advisors, Foundation & Housing Directors, National Staff, etc.
Thank you for the additional information. eventually, I'd like all five of the groups to have Wikpedia pages, right now only ZBT and Phi Epsilon Pi do. Should be more than enough information in Baird's and "Going Greek: Jewish College Fraternities in the United States 1895-1945" (https://books.google.com/books?id=1u0sPzMEwOUC)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

naraht;Thank you for the additional information. eventually, I'd like all five of the groups to have Wikpedia pages, right now only ZBT and Phi Epsilon Pi do. Should be more than enough information in Baird's and "Going Greek: Jewish College Fraternities in the United States 1895-1945" (https://books.google.com/books?id=1u0sPzMEwOUC)

Go onto the ZBT National website. Click the Menu Bar and then click "About ZBT". On the left side, click the tap for "Our Antecedent Groups." Here you will see the 4 other fraternities with more detail descriptions.

ZBT:"BROTHERHOOD FOR A LIFETIME"
Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
naraht;Thank you for the additional information. eventually, I'd like all five of the groups to have Wikpedia pages, right now only ZBT and Phi Epsilon Pi do. Should be more than enough information in Baird's and "Going Greek: Jewish College Fraternities in the United States 1895-1945" (https://books.google.com/books?id=1u0sPzMEwOUC)

Go onto the ZBT National website. Click the Menu Bar and then click "About ZBT". On the left side, click the tap for "Our Antecedent Groups." Here you will see the 4 other fraternities with more detail descriptions.

ZBT:"BROTHERHOOD FOR A LIFETIME"
Yes, I have seen those as well. *Theoretically* those pages would count as primary sources, so I'd like to find confirmation. I have actually found some things that are *more* exact than what is on the ZBT national website, specifically *the* days in which Kappa Nu and Phi Alpha Merged with Phi Epsilon Pi and Phi Sigma Delta respectively. And most of the sources simply say 1969-1970 for the mergers of ZBT with Phi Epsilon Pi and Phi Sigma Delta and I'm *trying* to sort that out. I'm pretty sure Phi Sigma Delta was 1969 and Phi Epsilon Pi was March 1970.