GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,727
2 members and 1,725 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that's an abberation. My son wore his FIJI pledge pin last year, and my daughter wore one when she joined Pi Phi 5 years ago...they both still have them, but I think they only wore them for meetings, not all the time. My daughter's school, W&L, has an annual yearbook, and many guys wear pledge pins in the first year photos. The women generally wear those drapes for the photos, so they don't wear pins (75% of the student body is Greek, so this is a pretty good indication). We still have pledge pins, but they're returned after initiation and reused.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
I know! Is that everywhere now or just some schools?
None at all or just not required to be worn all the time? Another possibility, did they just not have enough in time? Do they do ribbons instead? So many questions!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My dd pledged this year and I couldn’t believe they no longer wear pledge pins
(Nor are they “pledges”...) I can’t even imagine dinks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
No pledge pins? How strange!
Quote:
I know! Is that everywhere now or just some schools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I think that's an abberation. My son wore his FIJI pledge pin last year, and my daughter wore one when she joined Pi Phi 5 years ago...they both still have them, but I think they only wore them for meetings, not all the time. My daughter's school, W&L, has an annual yearbook, and many guys wear pledge pins in the first year photos. The women generally wear those drapes for the photos, so they don't wear pins (75% of the student body is Greek, so this is a pretty good indication). We still have pledge pins, but they're returned after initiation and reused.
Since most 'pledge' pins are rather inexpensive, do the common pin manufacturers use flimsy/poor pin materials that some sororities find cheapens the look (and possibly the meaning behind) their pin?

Conversely would a group having a more expensive 'pledge' pin decide it is less expensive for members to pay for ribbons instead of a pin?

Although it might rarely occur, using ribbons could save any group from theft of pins by women who never return pins after dropping before initiation (even if women must somehow then pay for said 'lost/borrowed forever' pins).

If I recall correctly there is at least one NPC group that doesn't require initiated members to have their very own pin. I wonder if that means they consistently pass-down old pins to their next generation of members as part of their traditions and standards.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm curious if anyone has or knows anyone that has their freshman cap/dink?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

TTT -- I'm researching for a story that I’m writing and this thread was helpful.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 08-06-2020 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I want to know when "DON'T CARRY A PURSE OR EVERYONE WILL KNOW YOU'RE A FRESHMAN" died. My 17 years older than me cousin told me that, and she was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
a purse versus what? a bookbag? tote bag?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes.
I don't recall backpacks becoming popular on my midwestern campus until the late 1970s. Before that, one carried their books or had them carried by a strong and handsome fraternity man .

One item new female students of my day were encouraged to utilize was the school-issued plastic ID holder for dollar bills and credit cards, rather than carrying a purse. Good thing the wearing of jeans/pants with pockets had somewhat superseded dress-wearing. That ID holder cost all of ten cents!