GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,183
0 members and 2,183 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Skit for new Chapter

Hi,

I am help heading up recruitment this year for my new chapter of Sigma Alpha Omega (you wouldn't have heard of it, its a small national christian sorority) and I wanted to get some ideas for our recruitment for a skit.

We found two songs we may use and change the lyrics on but I wanted to get some ideas for chants, skits and songs since we are a new chapter and really small nationally we dont have anything set in a song book or anything.

Right now we are looking into doing: Material girl by madonna and Perfect Day from Legally Blond

Any other ideas or lyrics yall may have that would be awesome!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

i think that you are headed in the right direction with your plan to use new words for songs that people will easily recognize.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
"Material Girl" sung by a Christian sorority?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

i think itll be hilarious, being that today's PNMs may not even recognize "Material Girl." I know my sister, born in 1988, surely wouldnt. She knows Madonna but not "Material Girl" or "Like a Virgin" (which, lol wouldnt be a bad suggestion, being a Christian sorority and all) but more like "Hung up" and "4 Minutes." hell, her only recollection of Green Day is "American Idiot." So remember this when you have a room full of PNMs born in what, 1989-90?

and if youre trying to establish a song book, you may want to start with some original songs then move on to some rewritten lyrics.

otherwise, good luck!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

You might do some searches on the individual GLO forums and see what other groups are using for recruitment ideas, songs, etc. I think you would find a lot of ideas on some of those.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if there is no one at your national office you could contact about rush skit I would think that you might be able to contact other chapters of your sorority to see what they do and get some ideas from them. Is there not a way to contact other chapters of your sorority for advice? i would think that would be a good place to start.

Just a thought.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Material Girl

I remember one of our pledge classes re-wrote "Material Girl" - here's all I remember from WAY back then!

Some girls pledge
and some girls don't
and that's alright by me.
'Cause the girls who get the guys
are pledging G Phi B

We are living
in a sorority world
and I am just a Gamma Phi girl.
Yes we are living in a sorority world
and I am just a Gamma Phi girl.

Yes, I have just dated myself.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

We actually have a couple and I mean only a couple national songs written, my chapter just happens to be really on top of things and wanted to create some things of our own. We are at a large university so rush for us is much different than 95% of our other chapters at other schools. One of the songs we will use is from a larger chapter that presented it at convention this year so we have decided to use that one night but wanted to get some more ideas for something just for our chapter.
Thanks for the advice I actually talked to nationals at our convention and suggested they start a song book and she said that it is something she would definatly look into.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry that I assumed that you had not talked to anyone about recruitment before now. That was rude of me.

i really wanted to say how cool it is that your sororities national philanthropy is ovarian cancer. I have this and it is nice to hear that people are working toward this cause. Breast cancer is a big issue for women, but i don't think that enough people know how much a problem ovarian cancer is. I think education, more than anything else, is the most important issue with ovarian cancer and i just wish more people would have this as a philanthropy.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We made one up for Recruitment when I was in college (back when we could still do skits) to "California Girls" by the Beach Boys and I thought it was cute. Maybe a bit outdated at the time (and even more outdated now) but it's a fairly well known song. I can't remember much of how it goes, only that it started like this

Bumpa bumpa, bumpa bumpa
Bumpa bumap, bumpa bumpa (girls were bobbing up and down to this beat)

Oh Alpha Xi's are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And those AXiD's
with the way they dress

Something something...I wish I could remember more! I know it ended with "we wish we all could be AXiD giiiiiiiiirls" (the skit was done from the POV of PNMs going through recruitment).

Hope that helps some!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Couggirl, thats ok! It took a long time for me to try to talk to nationals but since really they havent been national for too long especially compared to other organizations there are many things they are working towards.

I am very excited about our philanthropy and agree that many people do not know much about ovarian cancer and I think awareness for ovarian cancer is definatly doesn't seem to be seen as much. My chapter is looking into doing a big fundraiser for awareness hopefully this fall. We were thinking of a charity concert.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
"Material Girl" sung by a Christian sorority?
I was thinking the same thing...actually, anything by Madonna seems like an oxymoron, no offense.

I think it is great that you are writing your own songs though.