GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Chi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,529
0 members and 1,529 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Question about the hand-sign?

Hi!

I've recently been creeping on the websites of other chapters (I have a sick obsession with everyone's AXO TShirts! Too cute!) and I've noticed it looks like lots of chapters do the hand-sign differently than we do at my school.
Where I'm from, we'll put our index and middle fingers crossed, with the ring/pinkie fingers down, and thumbs NOT TOUCHING at the bottom to form the Alpha, the Chi and the Omega. But a lot of other chapters appear to make their thumbs touch at the bottom (which we tend to avoid because one fraternity gentleman pointed out that it looks lewd), or hold their ring fingers and pinkie fingers out flat so that the palms of their hands show. Is there a "right" way to do this, or are we all just unique?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheLyre View Post
Hi!

I've recently been creeping on the websites of other chapters (I have a sick obsession with everyone's AXO TShirts! Too cute!) and I've noticed it looks like lots of chapters do the hand-sign differently than we do at my school.
Where I'm from, we'll put our index and middle fingers crossed, with the ring/pinkie fingers down, and thumbs NOT TOUCHING at the bottom to form the Alpha, the Chi and the Omega. But a lot of other chapters appear to make their thumbs touch at the bottom (which we tend to avoid because one fraternity gentleman pointed out that it looks lewd), or hold their ring fingers and pinkie fingers out flat so that the palms of their hands show. Is there a "right" way to do this, or are we all just unique?
I don't know of ANY NPC sorority having an official handsign.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I wasn't sure, since there are some sororities that seem to all do the same sign (like ADPis always do the diamond the same way), where as others seem to differ based on the region you're in.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Go Glen Coco! View Post
I don't know of ANY NPC sorority having an official handsign.
I don't know if none have official handsigns, but many have unofficial ones. It's not a crazy question presuming it's not ritual. (And as you point out, it's almost certainly not.)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I don't know if none have official handsigns, but many have unofficial ones. It's not a crazy question presuming it's not ritual. (And as you point out, it's almost certainly not.)
To that end, it's nice to be on one page even if it is unofficial. There are a few oddball Alpha chapters which do an additional sign which has meaning for them but generally just looks silly when everybody else does it one way.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
To that end, it's nice to be on one page even if it is unofficial. There are a few oddball Alpha chapters which do an additional sign which has meaning for them but generally just looks silly when everybody else does it one way.
Exactly! My worst fear would be that I'm doing it the "wrong way" or something. It certainly looks more uniform when everyone does the same sign, it just makes it easier for me to pick out other AXOs in photographs!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

We always told our girls that the thumbs were open. After all, we're not alpha chi omicron.