GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 855
1 members and 854 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-27-2003, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

MTV is a trip. I'm watching the episode of Frat Life from last night. The scene at the zoo just came on. The camera zooms in on a No Trespassing Authorized Personnel Only sign but do they stop the guys? Of course not. It will make for greating viewing.
MTV should hold some of the blame at the zoo. It's not like they weren't aware of what was going on. They were standing there taping it
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-28-2003, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sooooooo glad Alex broke up with Lindsey, she sucked, it makes me sick to know that there are honestly girls out there who are so dependent on someone else. Get a life of your own sweetheart.

As for the other pledges, Earl I think needs therapy, Steve needs a nice kick in the ass, Tim is cool, and Paul needs....well.....ME! Haha, ok wishful thinking, but he sure is a hottie.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior301
MTV is a trip. I'm watching the episode of Frat Life from last night. The scene at the zoo just came on. The camera zooms in on a No Trespassing Authorized Personnel Only sign but do they stop the guys? Of course not. It will make for greating viewing.
MTV should hold some of the blame at the zoo. It's not like they weren't aware of what was going on. They were standing there taping it
Not to mention trespassing themselves.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
no actually, according to reports (aka articles that have been posted on gc) mtv didn't trespass onto zoo property. they said that mtv shot the footage from outside the fence to the zoo.
still extremely stupid all around. boys......what do you expect.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 03-29-2003, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by alphaiota
no actually, according to reports (aka articles that have been posted on gc) mtv didn't trespass onto zoo property. they said that mtv shot the footage from outside the fence to the zoo.
still extremely stupid all around. boys......what do you expect.

shelley j
sigma k

Wouldn't they be considered accessories to a crime then?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

who knows. it's mtv so they probably are being thanked for catching those evil doer's on camera.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 03-29-2003, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Oh MTV...can't live with them and G@^ Damn it! Why don't they play music videos?!
Old 03-30-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior301
MTV has a hands-off policy when it comes to the things that happen on their reality shows (well, to an extent). I remember "Real World: Hawaii" being a big deal because sending Ruthie to detox was the first time they had ever "intervened" in a filming process during RW. I recall reading an interview with the producers where they said that they had a dilemma between preserving the "unscripted" nature of the show and making sure Ruthie didn't kill herself. I think unless the people they're filming are doing something extremely harmful that can get them killed or kill somebody else, the camera crew/other crew members are not allowed to intervene.

Of course, after Hawaii, RW realized that it could get more viewers by showing drama drama drama all the time, and in doing so, they lost the unscripted nature of the show. But RW Hawaii is the first time that MTV realized that casting for drama and pushing drama along makes for "better" TV (I put better in quotes because I'm inclined to disagree) and more viewers, and without it we probably would never have shows like Sorority Life and Fraternity Life.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
Speaking of RW Ruthie, that same question came up when they filmed her driving drunk. Not to mention the times they've filmed underagers entering clubs or having fake ID's. I seem to also remember that one of the cast members had a suspended license and they filmed her driving.

DeltAlum or any other media/law pros, what's the deal?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

MTV (at least the camera crew) may have been smarter than we give them credit for by filming the No Trespassing sign and then filming from OUTSIDE the zoo.

Hmmmmm. . . .
Old 03-30-2003, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

mtv maybe extremely annoying, but they aren't stupid. they knew they couldn't go in or else they would get in trouble too.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 03-30-2003, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
well i am mad. i came home to the bay area for the cable so i could catch up on my sorority and fraternity life and all they have been showing this weekend is spring break stuff. :-(

Darn, i missed all the maddness.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
No.

Criminal laws vary from state to state, and I don't recall NY's law off the top of my head, but the Model Penal Code states that to meet the legal definition of an accomplice, he must "solicit, aid, agree to aid, or attempt to aid the crime; or have a legal duty to prevent the commission, but does not."

From the video that I saw (and ONLY from what I saw), I don't think standing outside the zoo and videotaping them meets the legal definition. Nor did MTV have a legal duty to prevent them from entering the zoo.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

you are so smart. can you help me with my issues concerning my health insurance? no seriously, i need help and you are obviously very smart. pm me

shelley j
sigma k
Old 04-01-2003, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Though I frown upon and disagree with some of the things they do, I think we are being too hard on them. There's not a fraternity (or sorority) I know that hasn't done any stupid pranks like that. Also, the line-ups, push ups, etc. are nothing compared to some of the hazing I both heard of and witnessed myself. There are like any other fraternity in my eyes.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?