GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,423
2 members and 1,421 guests
naraht, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

American University, class standing?

I've been reading through a lot of threads here, and I'm a little confused about what I should consider my class standing when I rush. I consider myself a junior, because I am going to start my third year of college in the fall, and I'm staying for another year after this year - I will graduate in spring 2011. HOWEVER, I took a lot of AP classes in high school, and I came in with 30 credits. Currently, I have 91 credits, which means that technically, I have senior standing. Since my school has formal recruitment in the spring, and I will probably go through recruitment at that time, I will have 107 or 108 credits when I go through recruitment, depending on what classes I take in the fall. So I'm wondering whether or not I should tell people that I'm a junior or senior. I'm guessing that the recruitment application will just ask for how many credits I have - does anyone know whether or not I'll be able to explain that I'll be here for an extra year on the application, or if I'll have to tell people in person? Also, will it still work against me to have senior standing, even though I'll be at the school the same amount of time as any junior?

Also, I'm reconsidering whether or not I should wait until spring to rush, or if I should just go for informal recruitment in the fall. Honestly, I would just go for fall recruitment, but I'm pretty sure that only two sororities are doing it this year. Since freshmen can't do fall recruitment, I'd have less of a disadvantage. But on the other hand, I really want to see all of the sororities so that I end up with the one that's the best fit for me, I just don't know how much of a chance I'll have with spring recruitment if I'll be considered a junior, maybe a senior. A girl I know in one sorority told me that they took three juniors this year, even though there was a really big freshman class, and I don't think recruitment at AU is terribly intense. Also, even though this year the freshman class is going to be even bigger, last year only six sororities did formal recruitment, and next year there will be seven, since one of them was suspended - I also know that this chapter is very small at the moment since a lot of their members were kicked out. So I'm not sure how competitive it will be. I have a pretty nice GPA (3.77, hope to bring it up a little in the fall), I'm pretty involved on campus, and I'm going to try and get recs even though I'm pretty sure most people don't have them at AU. I also have at least one acquaintance in almost all of the sororities, and good friends in a couple, and I think I'm a fairly good conversationalist. I'm pretty sure I don't have a bad reputation on campus - I kept a pretty low profile for freshman and sophomore years, so if I have any reputation at all, it's probably for being extremely shy and a maybe little socially awkward, but I think I've grown a lot as a person and I don't think I give off those kinds of vibes anymore. So I think factors like that will probably help me a lot in recruitment, although I do realize that I'll probably be cut some places just because of my class standing. I'm going in with an open mind - honestly, I do know girls from most of the sororities and I know the reputations they have on campus, and I do feel that there are some places I'd fit in better than others, but I am open to the fact that I might not get into my first choice.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is basically, is it worth waiting until the spring to see all of the sororities, or should I just go for whoever's doing informal recruitment in the fall? Do I have any chance at all in the spring, considering my class standing? Also, any advice concerning things I can do to stand out would be greatly appreciated. I've read through a lot of threads about how to act during recruitment, etc., but not much about what I can do to really stand out...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Your class standing for recruitment is based on the number of credits you have. If you are a senior cedit-wise, then you will be considered a senior for recruitment.

The sororities will know that you're a senior, so you can't tell them you're a junior.

There may or may not be space on the app to explain that you'll be in school longer. If there isn't, you can tell sorority members during recruitment. It may or may not make a difference.

We can't really say if it would be better to do one or the other (formal or informal). That is up to you. I always say that the more chapters you can meet, the better.

Whether your school is competitive or not, it typically is more difficult for a senior to get a bid, as sororities may prefer freshmen because they'll be around longer.

Sidenote: Not sure why you felt the need to point out that there was a chapter on campus that was on suspension or something. I thought that was a tad rude.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
It never hurts to try informal recruitment. If you find a chapter you like well and good. If not, then you can go ahead with formal in the spring.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

As for class standing, I would just say, "This is my third year."

Easy peasy.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Could you state, when asked what your standing is, "I'm a senior by hours, but I'll be here two more years." I don't see what would be wrong with that.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Do fall recruitment. You have a limited amount of time left, so why delay another semester? And I would hazard a guess that the two groups rushing in the fall may be you best shot anyway.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Every org has different policies as far as class standing is concerned. In Sigma Kappa, you are "bound" to be a collegiate member (or withdraw--no early alum status) through your eighth semester of school, or until graduation, whichever comes first, no matter when you join. If you acquire 120 credits before beginning your eigth semester but don't graduate early, which I'm sure is common since many students come to college with AP credits, you're still a normal collegiate member, and the 8th semester or graduation rules apply. If you are in school for a 9th semester or beyond, Sigma Kappa members have the option to go early alum or remain active.

I know other orgs force members to take alum status if they continue to work on their first Bachelors' degree into their 5th year. Is this based on credits or number of semesters in school? If other orgs base their membership solely on credits, I think some GCers would have heard about instances were members were forced into alum status before beginning their 8th semester if they had 120 credits (but not graduating).

Bottom line for the OP: be honest and give as much information about your situation as possible. I'd ask someone from the AU Greek Life Office, as they will be able to give you the most campus-specific information.

Also, what kddani said. Try fall recruitment. Open your heart to the chapters that are doing fall and if you REALLY can't see yourself in either, try in the spring. Realize that the chapters who do fall recruitment are often the ones that are more likely to take juniors in the spring. If you like a chapter in the fall, and they offer you a bid, I personally think it would be foolish for a junior to not accept on the grounds that you want to explore the rest of your options. You might not have any options in the spring. Your choices only get fewer the longer you wait. Also, don't let anyone in a chapter who is not participating in the fall promise you a bid for the spring. No individual can guarantee you a bid.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Is American quite competitive? I didn't get the impression that it was when I was in grad school there.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

1) Coming into freshman year with sophomore standing is so common at AU that nobody will even blink at the "senior standing but technically a junior" thing. I wouldn't worry about people considering you a senior. For the most part, each chapter takes a junior or two during spring recruitment.

2) Fall recruitment never hurts. It's free, and you get to have much more personal and interesting conversations with people. I would guess that the five chapters not taking fall pledge classes will probably have a "recruitment" event regardless, so you might still have a chance to meet all of the chapters. If one of the two doing informal in the fall is the one for you, that's great, but if not, there's always spring. Obviously there are no guarantees, but I do know some older students who tried informal recruitment with no luck, but who did receive bids in the spring. And the more sisters you know, the better chance you'll have.

3) You're right, recruitment is generally not that competitive. However, most of the chapters will be above total, and fall recruitment is going to be a whole different ballgame this time. Girls that would normally be joining in the fall might shy away from fall recruitment this time around, and they will try their luck in the spring. Although the chapters at AU are more welcoming to non-freshman than many other schools, they still want a pledge class of mostly freshmen, so the competition for older students is probably going to go up for the spring. Again, fall recruitment won't hurt you at all, so you should definitely give it a try.