GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,187
0 members and 2,187 guests
No Members online

Old 04-20-2020, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
I’m concerned about the possibility of high attrition. Many members/parents work to pay for sorority dues and fees and they lost their jobs. Even when and if they return to work, there will be presumably more important living expenses that will need to be paid first. Recruitment will likely look very different than the way it usually does. Social distancing is almost impossible to maintain where large schools hold recruitment.
^^^This.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2020, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

As of right now some of the SEC schools are setting their recruitment dates and registration will be opening soon.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-21-2020, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you Cookie. They do that every year about this time.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:49 PM

In short, I can tell you that NPC is working with member groups to make some recommendations for Fall 2019 recruitment best practices.

Individual Panhellenics are also meeting at the campus level and working university personnel to work through what recruitment Fall 2019 may look like based on any recommendations from NPC.

So short answer - This is a WHALE of a logistical challenge, and NPC + panhellenic member groups are in uncharted territory here. Stay tuned.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My rising Junior daughter is at a large SEC school and is a huge ball of anxiety over all of this. She is a pre-med public health major and takes this virus and its mitigation very seriously. The thought of hundreds of girls in close quarters (literally touching in tight spaces) for weeks on end, getting super run down and sick like they do anyway, with Covid still out and about. She has an overreactive immune system and when she gets sick, she gets SICK. She’s terrified of this virus. This week, we’ve been talking about fall recruitment going on as planned and if so, that she may need to drop out of her sorority. She’s a wreck over all of it. It’s way too soon to call, but I just can’t imagine that large, tight gatherings like that will be able to happen in August. It’s very stressful to think about from a health perspective, but then if rush doesn’t happen, the effects on the Greek system as a whole is a whole different kind of stress.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

The longer this goes, the less I can see the traditonal recruitment happening anytime soon.
What chills my blood is those giant houses, especially at the University of Alabama, sitting empty with the mortgage payments marching on. Those budgets are not set up for zero new members in the fall, and there is no way we alumnae can step in to cover the payments.
This is where a small Greek system has an advantage. Zoom recruitments just might work, with new member classes of 20-25 or less. But how do you foster sisterhood among talking heads on screens?
Then again, I can see a huge drop in the number of students enrolling. Greek systems across the country might be suspended for several semesters.
This is NOT a good time for Greeks, friends.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFLDDD View Post
My rising Junior daughter is at a large SEC school and is a huge ball of anxiety over all of this. She is a pre-med public health major and takes this virus and its mitigation very seriously. The thought of hundreds of girls in close quarters (literally touching in tight spaces) for weeks on end, getting super run down and sick like they do anyway, with Covid still out and about. She has an overreactive immune system and when she gets sick, she gets SICK. She’s terrified of this virus. This week, we’ve been talking about fall recruitment going on as planned and if so, that she may need to drop out of her sorority. She’s a wreck over all of it. It’s way too soon to call, but I just can’t imagine that large, tight gatherings like that will be able to happen in August. It’s very stressful to think about from a health perspective, but then if rush doesn’t happen, the effects on the Greek system as a whole is a whole different kind of stress.
If your daughter "is a wreck" over this (meaning she thinks NPC will force groups to do normal recruitment), she may need to reconsider her major. NPC has a task force in place and is working to determine alternatives for all campuses. I advise a collegiate chapter and am on an NPC national committee so I get all the emails, notices, etc. about the planning. Please know that NPC will recommend the right things, the schools will make the correct choices and any member who is concerned about participating will have options other than resigning one's membership.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m reading this thread anxiously from the other side. Hoping that fall recruitment will happen. My daughter is a senior in high school. She is missing so many experiences right now. One of the things keeping her positive is looking to her future in college. I know some may say it’s silly, but she has been waiting to go through recruitment for such a long time. It’s bad enough that she is losing out in senior year. The thought of missing out on the experiences of freshmen year of college is so disheartening.

-

"My Crown is in my heart, not on my head;" ~King HenryVI, Shakespere~
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
If your daughter "is a wreck" over this (meaning she thinks NPC will force groups to do normal recruitment), she may need to reconsider her major. NPC has a task force in place and is working to determine alternatives for all campuses. I advise a collegiate chapter and am on an NPC national committee so I get all the emails, notices, etc. about the planning. Please know that NPC will recommend the right things, the schools will make the correct choices and any member who is concerned about participating will have options other than resigning one's membership.
She's a "wreck" because all the communication she's received thus far is that business will be "as usual" and she's worried she and thousands of others will be put at risk. She does not have that confidence that NPC will shut things down if needed, especially when we see states like Georgia opening up movie theaters on Monday. I don't see how questioning her choice of a major is called for. These young people are concerned and see leaders above them making choices that they don't understand. She doesn't want to have to be forced into a situation that she's uncomfortable with and be faced with a choice to stay or go because of it. A good friend of hers had a 21st birthday party last night where over 20 kids showed up, no social distancing, and we are in a state with stay at home orders until June 10. Like her, I don't have much confidence in ANYONE doing the right thing right now. It's a legitimate concern. I'm glad to know that NPC and individual GLOs are working hard on contingency plans and will share that with her--it would be nice to have some communication on it as in "we are hoping things go as scheduled in the fall but are working on contingency plans in the event that the current situation does not improve by then". That's honestly why I came on here, to see what the "chatter" was, so that I can reassure her that there are serious discussions going on.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Of course talks are going on - and of course until they reach a consensus on a plan, it is going to look like they are moving ahead with the status quo. But if we've learned nothing else over the past 6 weeks or so, it's that things can change overnight. The unknown will always make us anxious, but there is no sense borrowing trouble.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFLDDD View Post
She's a "wreck" because all the communication she's received thus far is that business will be "as usual" and she's worried she and thousands of others will be put at risk. She does not have that confidence that NPC will shut things down if needed, especially when we see states like Georgia opening up movie theaters on Monday. I don't see how questioning her choice of a major is called for. These young people are concerned and see leaders above them making choices that they don't understand. She doesn't want to have to be forced into a situation that she's uncomfortable with and be faced with a choice to stay or go because of it. A good friend of hers had a 21st birthday party last night where over 20 kids showed up, no social distancing, and we are in a state with stay at home orders until June 10. Like her, I don't have much confidence in ANYONE doing the right thing right now. It's a legitimate concern. I'm glad to know that NPC and individual GLOs are working hard on contingency plans and will share that with her--it would be nice to have some communication on it as in "we are hoping things go as scheduled in the fall but are working on contingency plans in the event that the current situation does not improve by then". That's honestly why I came on here, to see what the "chatter" was, so that I can reassure her that there are serious discussions going on.
Here's NPC's web site for links (https://www.npcwomen.org/) and I'm sure her GLO's national office should have their up to date information. Have her do the research and quit listening/reading the "tent talk."
Old 04-22-2020, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlkcca View Post
I’m reading this thread anxiously from the other side. Hoping that fall recruitment will happen. My daughter is a senior in high school. She is missing so many experiences right now. One of the things keeping her positive is looking to her future in college. I know some may say it’s silly, but she has been waiting to go through recruitment for such a long time. It’s bad enough that she is losing out in senior year. The thought of missing out on the experiences of freshmen year of college is so disheartening.
Not silly at all. As an educator, I know that the Class of 2020 is having an experience like no other, and not in a good way. I believe they need some "good" to look forward to and some small sliver of normalcy. I know many seniors who are already contemplating sitting out a semester or even a year if colleges choose to go all online for the fall semester. After months of this, they want the traditional classroom and college experience.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Honesty I think it will be depended on what phase the individual state is in at that time. Many of the big SEC schools are well on there way to be in phase 3 by the time recruitment rolls around. If that is the case they should be able to proceed as planned. My personal opinion and from studies I am seeing is that the summer heat should stop a majority of the spread and it won't be nearly as bad as doing it in the winter because of the flu and possibly a second wave of this. As a health care provider I would look to rapid testing to take place and advise anyone who is uncomfortable to maybe skip this round and wait until they are comfortable. The show must go on!
Old 04-22-2020, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I can’t see any org willing to take on the liability of hundreds of students from all over being packed in houses, and the sharp increase in covid cases that will happen (if there is no vaccine). I can see social distancing in classrooms, maybe housing (single rooms?) but not Recruitment. So, what does that mean? Zoom Recruitment? I know these things are being discussed, but I just don’t see a way for the large SEC schools to do it.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trymeplease View Post
I can’t see any org willing to take on the liability of hundreds of students from all over being packed in houses, and the sharp increase in covid cases that will happen (if there is no vaccine). I can see social distancing in classrooms, maybe housing (single rooms?) but not Recruitment. So, what does that mean? Zoom Recruitment? I know these things are being discussed, but I just don’t see a way for the large SEC schools to do it.
There are far too many girls that rush at SEC schools to do it by zoom. Plus sorority recruitment at schools like Alabama , UGA and Auburn is a big factor in the amount of girls who attend the university. They are looking for the "experience" so for it to go to "zoom' would be a deal breaker for many. Again if a state is in phase 3 of the reopening there is no need for them not to do this. There is actually a great interview with a doctor and dean from UAB that addresses fall classes and events. He spoke of how they are planning for testing and contact tracing so that things hopefully can proceed as scheduled to include large gatherings like greek life and football . I have daughter attending one of these schools and they are choosing rooms next week and there has been no discussion of single rooms. I think if that was something her particular school was doing we would know by now.