GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,513
1 members and 2,512 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Initiated in 1 GLO only to join another???

What can our chapters to to protect themselves from situations like this? Unfortunately, in the age of the internet (and when you transfer between two schools in the same state), life will catch up with you.

https://medium.com/@cheathames/dicta...203#.ondk9nbx1
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 AM

So she had a brain injury and NONE of her chapter sisters visited her or otherwise reached out to her, and didn't bother to contact HQ asking what to do about initiation since she couldn't participate? And NONE of them have intervened w/ AGD international on her behalf?

Insert Blanche Devereaux side-eye gif here.

ETA: the AGD chapter in question has made quota or quota plus for the last 2 years (they chartered in 2014) so it's not like they are thirsty for members. Actually I have a hard time believing ANY chapter would be THAT thirsty for members.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-12-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newPNMsMom View Post
What can our chapters to to protect themselves from situations like this? Unfortunately, in the age of the internet (and when you transfer between two schools in the same state), life will catch up with you.

https://medium.com/@cheathames/dicta...203#.ondk9nbx1

Protect from what exactly? Are you saying that this girl is lying?

If you didn't attend our initiation then you didn't become a member. Plain and simple. We never had quotas so no difference between 20 pledges and 21 pledges. Aside from the honesty that should come from your organization when it comes to reporting initiates, I say initiation pics with bigs/littles should suffice as protection from someone lying.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

No, the article doesn't give enough information to determine whether this girl is lying although its overall tone does make me very suspect.

I would like to know what our organizations can do to try to prevent situations like this. The original sorority claims they have proof she was initiated (according to the article). It's been more than a few years since I was initiated but I feel that documentation included as part of ritual showed who was initiated with my pledge class. What about the second sorority? With all the transfers these days, how does a sorority know that a PNM has not been initiated into another organization?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

At least in ZTA, paperwork is initiated from the present chapter thru headquarters to the future chapter. If it is handled according to protocol, mischief should be managed. Girls just can't show up at the doorstep in letters and be treated as members.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes but this girl was supposedly initiated into one organization, transferred schools and pledged another, different organization.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I clicked on the link that was in the first post, I believe this isn't an article but more of a blog post. I could be wrong but as I was reading it and the way its written it seems this is a someone's blog and is written from the writer's perspective. So I'm sure the actually happened is known to those with direct involvement.