GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,375
0 members and 1,375 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Geometric Recruitment

Hi Everyone.

I thought I would tell you my niece's story as we are waiting for the fun to begin in the next few weeks.

My niece (Sally) goes to a small college and there were five sororities on campus.

Sally has been inundated with sorority stories for years as there are 13 women in our family that are Greek. She knew she wanted to be a member of a GLO since grade school.

Sally (obviously not her real name) loves Geometry, so we are going to use shapes for our GLO names.

Here are the sororities and the reputation that Sally heard from the other girls in her dorm. Yes, she listened to the tent talk, sigh. Sally's roommate lived in the college town and her Mom worked in administration, so she had ideas ahead of time as what she thought was a cool chapter and what she thought was not.

Triangle - Losers, this was not the sorority that you want to join.
Circle - Fat girls and that they were duds.
Square - Smart girls and big partiers.
Trapezoid - THE ONE.
Rhombus - Second to THE ONE, a mix of duds and pretty girls.

Sally signed up for recruitment as soon as she could. She had recommendations to all chapters. She had beautiful clothes and had been counseled on what to say. She was also counseled by me several times to not listen to the tent talk. Sigh.....she did anyway.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! This sounds like fun!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 1 - Meet the Chapter Night.

Sally was excited and ready to go. This was a casual night so she wore cute jeans, a beautiful sweater and boots.

Square - she loved the party. Girls were high energy, the conversations were great. Really wanted to go back. She thought she had a great start and was excited for the rest of the night and the rest of the week.

Trapezoid - FABULOUS! She felt special, there were many girls that stopped by and talked to her. The conversations flowed. The girls had high energy and were beautiful. She was so enamored with this chapter that she did not want to leave.

At this point in time she didn't care about any of the other chapters. She was ready to join one of these two.

Rhombus - average discussions, conversations felt forced. She felt no connection and no interest on either end. Meh. Didn't care if she went back.

Triangle - not good, not bad. Not as bad as Rhombus. She had a friend that came by and said hi. They just didn't dazzle her. She had stars in her eyes for Trapezoid and Square.

Circle - they were nice, but seemed like they were trying too hard. They talked a lot about being "chill." Sally was looking for sisterhood activities, so the "chill" factor was a turn off.

At the end of the night Sally went to PNM room, talked to her recruitment counselor, and had to choose one that she did not want to return to. Sally chose Triangle to drop. She chose them based on tent talk.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 - Philanthropy Night

Sally had been keeping in touch with me. I did not feel as if there were any conflicts with her talking to me as I am a DG and there is not a DG chapter on campus.

Sally was excited about going to Post Office and she was confident that she would have a great list of chapters to return to. Well....

Sally was invited back to Circle, Triangle and Trapezoid. She was stunned, shocked and upset. Why did she not get invited back to four houses? Why did two drop her? Why did one of her favorites drop her. Sally called me and was a bit teary. She and I discussed all of her options and that she had three options. If she wanted to go Greek (which she did) she needed to get her game face on and get going!

She went back to the dorm and got ready for the round of parties. She had a beautiful dress that she wore with tights and short boots. She curled her hair, fixed her makeup and she was ready! She called me after she was ready and I was really proud of her. She told me that she wanted to go Greek and that she would be happy at any house. Finally....starting to stop listening to the tent talk.

Circle - again, it felt like they were trying to hard to be "chill." They did not seem to be into their philanthropy and that bugged her. Not excited about returning.

Trapezoid - AGAIN FABULOUS! Beautiful girls, fun craft, great philanthropy. This time however, not as many girls came to talk to her. The conversations weren't as good as the previous night. Sigh...she was still feeling the tent talk and this was still her first choice.

Triangle - Conversations were good. She was comfortable, she had interesting conversations, the topics were good. However...she again listened to the tent talk and decided Triangle was not the one.

At the end of the night Sally had to choose two. She chose Trapezoid and Circle.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 - Pref Night

Sally went to Post Office. To Sally's surprise she was invited to only one chapter and that was TRIANGLE! She could not get rid of Triangle no matter what she did. She ran back to her dorm room and called me.

Sally was shocked that she was invited to only one chapter, that Trapezoid was not on the list, and that the only chapter that wanted her was the one that she tried to drop all week.

Sally was worried that she would be the only woman in my family that went through Recruitment and did not get into a Sorority.

I had my work cut out for me when I received the call. First I sat down in front of my computer and did what I do best. Research. I scoured the internet for any info, any scrap of info, any detail on the chapter that she was returning to. I found very little as the Social Media Chair that year in Triangle was not keeping their posts up to date. I did find a photo of some of the girls wearing snap backs and doing some Hip Hop. I also found another photo of some girls wearing jeans, boots, winter jackets at a local landmark. All of the girls were very attractive, fresh faces, nice hair, etc. I could not understand why the reputation was that these were the losers.

So Sally and I had a heart to heart. We talked about what I found on the internet and that these girls looked really nice and frankly looked like her. We talked about what did she want out of her college experience. Did she want to go Greek? If so, this was her only chance this year. Sophomore year it could be harder to get a bid and she would miss out of a whole year of being in a sorority. We also talked that this chapter really wanted her and that she would have the ability to join and make changes if there needed to be changes made.

I told her to dry off her tears, get ready, wear her beautiful pref dress.

So she went with her game face on and decided that if this chapter was her one chance she would go for it. I was proud of her again and how she accepted the decisions of the chapters and went for it.

Triangle - AMAZING PARTY!!!! Sally was paired with a dynamite girl. They talked the entire party (one hour). The ritual was beautiful. She left the party feeling loved and wanted to be a part of that group.

She went back to the PNM room, signed MRABA stating that she would accept a bid from Triangle.

Sally called me and I was relieved to hear how well the night went. She was worried that she might not get a bid. I knew that the college used RFM, but I did not say anything to her. We agreed that she would call me after she went to post office the next day.

Last edited by DesertRose; 08-04-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

Now I want to tell you that Sally's roommate who started all the tent talk did not go through Recruitment. Sally did not talk to her at all about the process, so roommate was not aware that Sally's only choice was in her words the Losers.

Sally called me before she went to Post Office. Sally did not receive a call from her Recruitment Counselor before Post Office, and she did not know that this was a good sign. Sally was excited for the day and wore a really cute sweatshirt (they wear zip hoodies as part of the reveal process) and was hoping for a bid.

Sally waited in line for what seemed hours and when she made it to the recruitment counselor, there was an envelope with her name on it. She opened the card and it was a bid from TRIANGLE! She was excited, signed the Bid Card right away and ran to get her shirt. She called me from the bathroom and was excited for the day.

Bid Day was wonderful, Triangle had great activities and they met quota and were at total (which is normal). Roommate had no idea what she was talking about.

Sally had a high school friend and two dorm friends that went Triangle. She was excited about what sorority life had to bring.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Today - two years later

Sally is very active in Triangle. Her best friends are in Triangle. She will be living in the house next year. She plans on running for eBoard positions. She attends all events, volunteers and has thrown herself into Triangle. She has a terrific family, ggbig, gbig, big and (the cutest) little. SHE LOVES IT!

Sally laughs when she tells her story, and she does tell her story. She is honest about her story and how ridiculous she was with her choices and why she made them. She has found her home and has no regrets.

I won't be divulging the chapter as I promised I would keep it quiet. She is a private person and I had to agree to silence to tell her story. She is visiting us for a few weeks now and I thought it would be fun to tell Sally's story. She has been sitting to the right of me as I have been typing and it has been fun to relive it.

I hope you enjoyed this.

Sally's word of advice: Don't listen to the tent talk!

Last edited by DesertRose; 08-04-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a fantastic story! I'm so, so glad she had you to talk some sense into her. Tent talk can be poisonous and really warp PNMS' perceptions. I saw it happen so many times over the years and it always made me sad when girls would drop out of recruitment even though they LIKED certain chapters but felt like they "deserved better."

I'm so happy for her and Triangle!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Goes to show you should trust the system.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This story is an amazing example of what sisterhood can be when you open your heart! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I just loved reading this!!! Thanks for sharing the story. I wish more PNMs would read this.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing this story of your niece's recruitment DesertRose. Yes this is a great example of why girls should ignore tent talk and other gossip before and during recruitment.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi!

I have an update on Sally. She was elected Panhel VP Recruitment! Her term starts late this month. So excited for her!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Yippee! I bet she will be great.