GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,759
0 members and 1,759 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2017, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Question about dual membership.

I have heard that a person with dual membership can't join other organizations like Kappa Sigma or Delta Chi (I am in a non-social organization, known as Alpha Phi Omega). Does this apply to all fraternities or just other social ones?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Membership in 2 NPC groups, 2 NPHC groups or 2 NIC groups is forbidden nationally. Locally, campus Panhellenics or IFCs or MCGCs, etc may have rules forbidding dual membership in the various councils. You would have to ask your Greek Adviser about your particular campus in that regard.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 AM

What fraternity are you thinking of joining? That would probably help us answer your question.

Also, are you at a HBCU?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gragon View Post
I have heard that a person with dual membership can't join other organizations like Kappa Sigma or Delta Chi (I am in a non-social organization, known as Alpha Phi Omega). Does this apply to all fraternities or just other social ones?

Thanks!
Dude, you've been posting on Reddit for weeks now and gotten all the answers you could ever want there. Don't think you're not recognized other places.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

And to answer the question of the original poster, nothing has changed in regards to the NIC fraternities since Alpha Phi Omega's founder Frank Reed Horton was simultaneously active in both Sigma Alpha Epsilon and founding Alpha Phi Omega. (Eight of Alpha Phi Omega's Fourteen undergraduate founders were in the Lafayette College chapters of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Five were in a local Fraternity called Krescents which about a year after Alpha Phi Omega was founded became a chapter of Kappa Delta Rho (and one independent))

In thirty years of brotherhood in Alpha Phi Omega (including time on Public Relations committee and Alumni committee), I have *never* heard of a student organization (much less a GLO) in the United States for which membership in Alpha Phi Omega prevented membership in that organization. I *have* seen GLOs which did not allow students to join both their GLO and Alpha Phi Omega *in the same semester*, but frankly, that counts as belief that students shouldn't fail out rather than discrimination.

TL;DR: No Fraternities (social or otherwise) care.