GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,684
1 members and 1,683 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't decide to rush or not...

Okay i need help. I have always wanted to rush but i kept my self back from not making the right grades. Now my GPA is good and im ready to rush in the fall of 2011. I should be junior in the fall but will still only be a sophmore. I just feel like im too old when i will be rushing with kids that were freshman when i was a senior in highschool.
So... Should i do it or not?? or i guess the better question is... would it still be worth it??

Last edited by MSUgirly; 10-07-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUgirly View Post
Okay i need help. I have always wanted to rush but i kept my self back from not making the right grades. Now my GPA is good and im ready to rush in the fall of 2011. I should be junior in the fall but will still be a sophmore. I just feel like im too old when i will be rushing with kids that were freshman when i was a senior in highschool.
So... Should i do it or not??
Only you can determine whether you should rush or not.

Of course, at some schools, recruitment can be harder for juniors (as they face heavy cuts) but that is not the case everywhere. It depends.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I was having a philosophical discussion with a friend about another issue, but similiar in that it involves "commitment". Commitment to an idea, a man (or woman), to an organization or........I have come to the following conclusion: By not making a decision you've made one: status quo. Making a decision can be painful, but you can reap great rewards. And sometimes you make a decision and things aren't "perfect", but they're good. A decision results can be good/great/disaster but sometimes you just got to go for it. If you don't do anything, you'll always have the what if?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Without knowing more, I'm leaning towards suggesting that you trying it. Follow it through to the very end. You might lose the money for registration and some time at events, but at the very least, you'll have tried, had fun, and perhaps made friends. Without having too many expectations, anything good that does come from the experience is just gravy.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's something you want to do, then why not go for it? What do you have to lose other than a missed opportunity if you don't go for it?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through formal recruitment as a junior, and I really enjoyed it. I was the only junior in my group, which did feel a bit strange (most of the girls were freshman, with a few sophomores sprinkled in.) However, I had the confidence which comes when you already have a couple of years of college under your belt. I was warmly welcomed to every house and my Rho Chi was great.

Juniors tend to get cut more heavily, so you have to be prepared for that. I was disappointed when a favorite house would cut me, but not devastated.

You will want to find out if juniors on your campus get bids (perhaps from your Greek Life office or from sorority members.) Keep your grades up and bolster your resume with membership in campus organizations. Pursue leadership opportunities with those organizations. Be friendly with sorority members.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as a sophomore this year & we have quite a few juniors in my pledge class. They are amazing girls and, as far as I know, don't feel disconnected with the other freshman girls. We all hang out together without giving any consideration to what year someone is.

Although, as others have already said, upperclassmen tend to be cut more heavily at a lot of schools. My school has a seperate quota for freshman & upperclassmen. Call your Greek Life office & they could provide you with more specific information. If you've always wanted to rush, I'd say go for it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

If she's technically still a sophomore, will she be treated (cut) as a junior just because it's her third year? Sophomores are much more commonly accepted at a lot of schools.

OP, is there an option for informal recruitment in the spring on your campus? It could do 2 things for you - introduce you to Greek life in a calmer less pressure-cooker way and 2-eliminate some of that age concern. You may or may not find a home then, but it would give you an idea of whether or not you're ready to make the leap and go through formal recruitment in the fall.

Talk to your Greek Life office and see what your options are there. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 AM

I don't know. Generally, sororities go by what is on your official records/transcripts. If your transcript says sophomore, that's what they see.

Also, if someone is at a school that favors freshmen in recruitment, that age/year issue doesn't always go away just because it's informal recruitment.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Right. So she doesn't have to say she's TECHNICALLY a sophomore. If she's a sophomore, she's a sophomore, and she'll only get herself tied up in trouble if she spends time trying to explain this to a recruiter.

Now, if we knew WHICH MSU this is, we might be able to give better advice about upper classmen odds. It certainly would be different at Michigan State, Missouri State, Montana State or Minnesota State than Mississippi State. Without knowing too many details about any of these schools, I'd think it would be virtually a non-issue at any of the northern M's, but might be at the southern M.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Right. So she doesn't have to say she's TECHNICALLY a sophomore. If she's a sophomore, she's a sophomore, and she'll only get herself tied up in trouble if she spends time trying to explain this to a recruiter.

Now, if we knew WHICH MSU this is, we might be able to give better advice about upper classmen odds. It certainly would be different at Michigan State, Missouri State, Montana State or Minnesota State than Mississippi State. Without knowing too many details about any of these schools, I'd think it would be virtually a non-issue at any of the northern M's, but might be at the southern M.
I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly confident that Michigan State is decently competitive.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Why not?

If you don't rush, you don't get into a sorority and life continues as usual.

If you do rush, you meet lots of cool people and may get into a sorority. However, the decision is not solidified until you accept the bid, assuming you do get one.

You're simply investing a registration fee and a week of your time, but a lot of good can come out of it. In fact, rush will be the time where you actually get enough info on whether or not you actually want to join a sorority on your campus.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the almost same situation ( mine waiting to rush for my spring sophomore semester or just the fall as junior). I say just do it, you don't want to be thinking about the "what ifs" if you don't rush.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly confident that Michigan State is decently competitive.
There are chapters who would take sophs at Michigan State... it's decently competitive if you have your heart set on some chapters but no schools in Michigan are competitive like the SEC schools are. Twelve chapters at Mich State participated in Spring 2010 informal recruitment. That's a high number to not be at Total.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Two of my best friends from my pledge class were juniors. The rest of us were freshman. Don't let the fear of the age difference between you and the other PNMs be the thing that stops you.