GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,821
3 members and 1,818 guests
Cookiez17, zjhnpetrovo7362

Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Can i join a sorority if i transfer from a community college?

I would LOVE to join a sorority but i am going to a community college first...then i am transferring to a university. Can i join for my 2 years i am there? And is there someone that can help me choose some sororities that i would want to rush?

Any help would be AMAZING!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-dee View Post
I would LOVE to join a sorority but i am going to a community college first...then i am transferring to a university. Can i join for my 2 years i am there? And is there someone that can help me choose some sororities that i would want to rush?

Any help would be AMAZING!
There are no sororities at community colleges unless they are local sororities. If that's the case then your membership will be null and void once you transfer.

As far as the sororities you would want to rush, I think the ones with women would be a good plan.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There are no sororities at community colleges unless they are local sororities. If that's the case then your membership will be null and void once you transfer.

As far as the sororities you would want to rush, I think the ones with women would be a good plan.
I think she means the two years she will be at the college or university she transfers to.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The short answer is: yes, it is possible to join a sorority as a junior transfer, but it may often be harder than if you gone through recruitment. Depends on the school.

As OTW suggested, PLEASE read the other threads on GC about this topic. They are filled with answers that will surely benefit you.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Blue_Blood Send a message via AIM to Blue_Blood Send a message via MSN to Blue_Blood
Its always possible to rush. I rushed at the end of my sophomore year. We have alumni that decided to rush in the last semester before they graduated because Greek life doesn't end with graduation. Often times, alumni have the opportunity to stay just as involved as the active members. My chapter includes our alumni is many things that we do because they earned the right just like we have, and because as a brother you should be important no matter how old or what status you are. You wouldn't ignore your grandmother or grandfather just because they are old. On the contrary, you would listen to them very dearly because they can provide wisdom. This is just a very small taste of what alumni can offer.

To answer your question about what organization to join, I would visit with all of them at the campus you decide to transfer to, and then rush the one that suits you the best. For example, if you are a very religious person, you might do well in a religious based organization. My campus has the Alpha Phis, and the SAO's (Sigma Alpha Omega), the Phi's are a very social sorority, they like to have fun and their weekly hangout is usually karaoke at Buffalo Wild Wings. There's usually alcohol involved. On the other hand, the SAO's are a Christian based sorority, and they are much more reserved. Also, my campus has the Sig Tau's and the Lambda Chi's. The Sig Tau's are a social fraternity that just thrives on brotherhood and excellence from all walks of life. The Lambda Chi's on my campus are comprised of primarily ROTC students. A person that isn't in the military, or has no desire to ever be in the military might fit in with the Sig Tau's a lot better than the Lambda Chi's. All 4 organizations are great to belong to, and all of them do great things for each other and their community, but your Greek experience will be a lot better if you can relate to your brothers or sisters.

Last edited by Blue_Blood; 10-20-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Blood View Post
Its always possible to rush. I rushed at the end of my sophomore year. We have alumni that decided to rush in the last semester before they graduated because Greek life doesn't end with graduation. Often times, alumni have the opportunity to stay just as involved as the active members. My chapter includes our alumni is many things that we do because they earned the right just like we have, and because as a brother you should be important no matter how old or what status you are. You wouldn't ignore your grandmother or grandfather just because they are old. On the contrary, you would listen to them very dearly because they can provide wisdom. This is just a very small taste of what alumni can offer.

To answer your question about what organization to join, I would visit with all of them at the campus you decide to transfer to, and then rush the one that suits you the best. For example, if you are a very religious person, you might do well in a religious based organization. My campus has the Alpha Phis, and the SAO's (Sigma Alpha Omega), the Phi's are a very social sorority, they like to have fun and their weekly hangout is usually karaoke at Buffalo Wild Wings. There's usually alcohol involved. On the other hand, the SAO's are a Christian based sorority, and they are much more reserved. Also, my campus has the Sig Tau's and the Lambda Chi's. The Sig Tau's are a social fraternity that just thrives on brotherhood and excellence from all walks of life. The Lambda Chi's on my campus are comprised of primarily ROTC students. A person that isn't in the military, or has no desire to ever be in the military might fit in with the Sig Tau's a lot better than the Lambda Chi's. All 4 organizations are great to belong to, and all of them do great things for each other and their community, but your Greek experience will be a lot better if you can relate to your brothers or sisters.
Please take some time to learn about how things are done around here before you go about answering SORORITY rush threads and taking about stereotypes of other chapters.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlady80 View Post
I believe the above poster was speaking more about frats than sororities as Lambda Chi is a fraturnity. As far as rushing as a junior, I think that it depends on the school you transfer to. If you are transferring to a school that is not super competitive, you probably will have more of an opportunity to pledge than at a SEC school where the sororities prefer freshmen. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.
LXA is not a fraturnity, it's a fraternity.

And who was talking about LXA in this thread? Did I miss something?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Blue blood mentioned them in his extremely pointless post.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Blue blood mentioned them in his extremely pointless post.
Gotcha. I had no interest in reading his post.

Even if he was talking about LXA, the OP was obviously referring to sorority procedures. Being able to rush a fraternity as a junior is irrelevant.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Blue_Blood Send a message via AIM to Blue_Blood Send a message via MSN to Blue_Blood
The whole point of my "extremely pointless post" was to address the second part of the OP. She wanted to know if anyone could help her choose who to rush with. That's really a personal decision that shouldn't be swayed by 100 people telling her to join a specific sorority because only she knows who she fits in with.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The whole point of my "extremely pointless post" was to address the second part of the OP. She wanted to know if anyone could help her choose who to rush with. That's really a personal decision that shouldn't be swayed by 100 people telling her to join a specific sorority because only she knows who she fits in with.
OK?

Then why bring up fraternities at all?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I was speaking in general about Greek organizations. It really doesn't matter whether you're male or female, you should still choose an organization that you can fit into. Obviously, females aren't the only ones that will read this thread. Maybe a male comes along in the same situation and reads this thread.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was speaking in general about Greek organizations. It really doesn't matter whether you're male or female, you should still choose an organization that you can fit into. Obviously, females aren't the only ones that will read this thread. Maybe a male comes along in the same situation and reads this thread.
There are already threads about fraternity recruitment. The advice you give regarding fraternity recruitment isn't usually the case for sorority (specifically NPC) recruitment.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

You need to keep in mind that not all GLOs are the same on each campus.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, the only advice I gave was that she should try to choose an org that suits her. How is that fraternity specific advice? Male or female, why would anyone choose an org that they don't fit into?