GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,898
2 members and 1,896 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I too old to rush?

I'm 22 and a student at University of North Texas. By the time formal rush rolls around in the fall I'll be 23. I went to community college for my basics right after high school, so thats why I'm so much older and rushing. I rushed last year, but I had to drop out because of an emergency. Should I try again?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Barbie View Post
I'm 22 and a student at University of North Texas. By the time formal rush rolls around in the fall I'll be 23. I went to community college for my basics right after high school, so thats why I'm so much older and rushing. I rushed last year, but I had to drop out because of an emergency. Should I try again?
I don't know how traditional UNT is in the aspect of taking on older students.

I would tend to think that it's worth a shot. Of course, I don't know if you'll get a bid, but it is worth trying.

DO consider your personality and think about whether you are in a place to spend a great deal of time around 18/19 year olds at your age. That's not everyone's cup of tea. Example: by the time I was 22, I was in grad school and would've pulled my hair out if I'd had to be a NM again at that age because I was in a different place than say, a freshman. Everyone's different though.

It's good to consider that because sometimes, at other schools, chapters go out on a limb to pledge Miss Older Transfer who then decides "I'm too old/busy to commit to all this stuff" and quits, becoming a waste of a bid. Seriously consider whether you can make the time commitment before deciding.

Good luck to you!

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^^

Good Advice. Ask yourself whether you want to be told to show up at events, perhaps have study hours or required obligations and to spend a lot of time with 18 year old women and men who may be in a very different place than you are now. Sometimes the desire to be in a sorority overrides the reality of what that means in your day to day schedule and lifestyle.

If you want to know about the chances of receiving a bid on your campus, you will need to ask people involved in that campus. We can only speak to the greek systems we know well. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

On a personal note, I rushed as a transfer & was 20 going on 21 when I went through rush. I was lucky enough to get a bid and accepted it. I loved the idea of sorority life, my grandmother was in a sorority & it was her dream to see her grandaughter enjoy all the wonderful sisterhood that it brings. (she was still active with her alumni well into her 90's) However by this time I was heavily involved with my boyfriend who was about to start law school & I felt very uncomfortable going to exchanges with "friends" etc... You are going to be with mostly 18-19 year old pledges and for me at least I felt like a lot of the experiences they were having were a been there done that. They were wonderful girls, don't get me wrong, but it felt weird having a "big" who was younger than me! I ended up dropping out before becoming active. HOWEVER...fast forward 25 years & my daughter who went through recruitment last year as a freshman 18 year old Loves her sorority, sisters, life etc.!! Basically what I'm trying to say is you have to look at the whole picture. Do you want to go through recruitment because it's a dream you always had or has that ship sailed on. And like previous posters said, you wouldn't want to take a spot that another pnm could of had. Just my personal experience..everyone is different, good luck with whatever you decide
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
/Not an NPC related post

There was a graduate student in my SAI pledge class. She was very involved and served on EB before finishing graduate school. If memory serves me correctly, she's now on the CAB.

My Phi Sig chapter pledged a man in his 30s. He had a visual impairment and a seeing eye dog, so he lived on campus during the week and took the bus home to his family (he also had 3 kids) on the weekend. He had the most personality and was one of my favorite brothers. We'd always scream hello to each other across campus. I'll never forget when he dressed up as Elvis for formal my senior year. Oh, and he always brought his wife to every single formal. They were so cute.

All I'm trying to say is that if you aren't comfortable in an NPC sorority (after finishing recruitment, if you decide to go through it) you may want to look into other, less traditional, greek letter organizations that also provide rich experiences and friendships to their members.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the super helpful replies y'all! I actually did really well during rush last year (I was called back to every sorority but one), and I'm still friends with alot of the girls from my rho ghamma group. I've wanted to join a sorority since I was a little girl, but I can never seem to do anything quite in the right order haha.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas Barbie,

My cousin went thru Recruitment at UNT last year as a sophomore who was older than 19. She had a severe athletic injury in high school (she was in a highly competitive gymnastic program in HS) which made her to miss nearly an entire year, so she had to repeat, then had an unrelated heath issue (non-communicative disease requiring hospitalization) which caused her to sit out another year.
She had a decent GPA (3.1) as a sophomore and pledged a chapter she totally loves (& not my chapter) -- a chapter that a national Panhellenic contact told me (before 2010 Rush) was "the one to watch". Last year, she earned a 4.0 both Fall & Spring semesters, so the sororities that cut her for grades might have already kicked themselves now.
Good luck and update the thread with your experience!

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-04-2011 at 02:06 AM.