GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,231
1 members and 1,230 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

You all are almost certainly right. It just seemed to me that there's be some advantages to participating in formal too, rather than instead of only colonization recruitment after. (I kind of imagined that you could do both, but maybe you can't)

As I said earlier, I expect the expansion recruitments to be very successful; it just seemed that not doing formal made it harder.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
From what I understand (Zillini please chime in!), Alpha Phi will lease the Sigma Delta Tau house temporarily. This is a rather small house, so no one may live there, OR just a small number of girls. I believe Sigma Delta Tau's chapter still exists at Alabama, but they have not occupied their house in several years. In fact, a couple of fraternities have rented the house while theirs was being built.

I'm assuming it is being redecorated!
You are exactly right. SDT still owns their house but hasn't had the numbers to support living in it for quite a while now. They have allowed the University to rent it out. It is not very big and can't house very many to live in, but it is right on Sorority Row.

This past Monday I attended a Panhellenic Recruitment meeting and our Greek Advisor said Alpha Phi was working fast and furious with the contractors to get the SDT house redecorated prior to the 1st round of Recruitment. They will be building a house of their own and are using the SDT house in the meantime. The GA said if it's not completed in time, they will use a room in the stadium. (FYI for those who aren't familiar with this campus, the stadium is right behind Sorority Row.) They plan on participating in 1st round "Ice Water Tea", then will drop out. The GA said they are bringing in many actives from other campuses as well as alums to help out.

Through out the remainder of formal Recruitment they will have an information location/table set up. Since we have so many PNMs Bama has added several extra parties to each round. This gives the PNMs "off" parties. Hopefully some will use that time to go chat with the Alpha Phi's. Even if those particular PNMs aren't interested, they may know other women who might be and can pass along the information.

After formal Recruitment is over Alpha Phi will then begin their actual recruiting. I haven't heard anything about this lately and admit I haven't thought about asking. (Note to self - need to find out if this is indeed accurate.) During one of the initial meetings regarding expansion, Panhellenic said that after Bid Day the existing chapters would be given a specific time period to snap/COR up to Quota and/or Chapter Total. After that there will be a moritorium on pledging new members. (How long?) This allows Alpha Phi to recruit without competition. With Delta Gamma coming next I assume it will be similar. (Another thing to check on.)

Last edited by Zillini; 07-24-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

AlphaPhi Startup

I am not sure how big the SDT now AlphaPhi house is at Bama as I have only seen the exterior of the house but at Panhellenic weekend the AlphaPhi advisor made a big point that girls could live in the house this fall and the number I recall was something like 35. The AlphaPhi advisor also made it sound like they were putting a lot of money into the SDT house so I assume they will be there for a few years. I may be wrong on this but got the impression Alpha Phi had purchased or signed a long term lease on the SDT house and planned on that being their permanent home. Either way they will have a house in the fall on Sorority Row that they can use as a selling point.

My daughter is going through rush at Bama so I will try to let everyone know how things turn out for Alpha Phi from a PNMs perspective.

Last edited by FreshmenDAD; 07-24-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I had no clue Alpha Phi was colonizing at Bama this fall! I met some Bama Tri Delts at a fraternity formal this past spring and they mentioned it, but I hadn't heard anything through Alpha Phi so I figured nothing was going on. How exciting!! We don't have any southern chapters outside of NC and TX so this is big!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Zillini,
What's the word on expanding sorority row with new houses? Has it been decided yet who gets to build?
BTW, DG goes on in 2010...so we are hoping Alpha Phi does well!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
I had no clue Alpha Phi was colonizing at Bama this fall! I met some Bama Tri Delts at a fraternity formal this past spring and they mentioned it, but I hadn't heard anything through Alpha Phi so I figured nothing was going on. How exciting!! We don't have any southern chapters outside of NC and TX so this is big!
Alpha Phi is also colonizing at Georgia Tech as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
It's pretty exciting, and I expect them to do really well there.

I'm hopeful that maybe Alpha Phi can come to UGA if it expands, and we'll have the Syracuse Triad represented.

It's pretty cool that Bama will have it.

(Tech will still need Gamma Phi Beta for it, but maybe someday.)
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Hey Zillini,
What's the word on expanding sorority row with new houses? Has it been decided yet who gets to build?
BTW, DG goes on in 2010...so we are hoping Alpha Phi does well!
There was a post in another thread where someone from Bama said A Phi will be in the SDT house till 2010, by that time their new house will be built and then DG will go into the SDT house.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
It's pretty exciting, and I expect them to do really well there.

I'm hopeful that maybe Alpha Phi can come to UGA if it expands, and we'll have the Syracuse Triad represented.

It's pretty cool that Bama will have it.

(Tech will still need Gamma Phi Beta for it, but maybe someday.)
From your lips to God's ears . . .
Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

No offense to DG, but on behalf of my SDT family and friends I hope that the SDT chapter can return to its house.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by libelle View Post
No offense to DG, but on behalf of my SDT family and friends I hope that the SDT chapter can return to its house.

actually, you mean alpha phi. alpha phi is going to be in the sdt house while their actual chapter house is being built. i think everyone hopes that sdt can return to their house soon, but it's not alpha phi's or delta gamma's fault.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
actually, you mean alpha phi. alpha phi is going to be in the sdt house while their actual chapter house is being built. i think everyone hopes that sdt can return to their house soon, but it's not alpha phi's or delta gamma's fault.
I understood her statement as she hopes SDT can return once Alpha Phi leaves. If that's the case, it would make sense to say "no offense" to DG as DG would then have to find another place to house the women they recruit.

ETA: but yes, I agree neither Alpha Phi nor DG has fault here.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

maybe she'll explain what she meant. usually when someone starts a comment like she did,"no offense blah, blah blah", they know they are being offensive.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM

This is what she meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There was a post in another thread where someone from Bama said A Phi will be in the SDT house till 2010, by that time their new house will be built and then DG will go into the SDT house.
I think it's the assumption that in 2 years SDT will still not be able to fill their house that is sticking in her craw. Can't say as I blame her on that one. I would wager, however, that SDT has worked all this out with the university and Panhellenic and that if they do all of a sudden have a huge membership increase they won't be out in the cold.

ETA: I googled and I couldn't find the post that said this, but I know I didn't dream it. Please, if you are the one who posted this (and then edited it because you were wrong or found out you shouldn't have said anything), PM me so I know I'm not going insane.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-25-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Great news! A friend from high school was a Sig Ep at Georgia Tech and his Greek life stories were always entertaining.