GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,436
4 members and 2,432 guests
3DGator, aidntexaxdz8175, Cookiez17, naraht

Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Should Patty PNM, whose mother hasn't been involved in 20 years be given the same consideration as Pammy PNM, whose mother is Chapter Advisor? .
Yes. Along with Peggy PNM, who has no relation at all. Let each PNM, and chapter, stand on their own merits, here and now, and be free to make their own choices and be supported by all.

If you want to recognize the coincidence of family relationships, do it after you pledge Patty or Pammy, when you initiate her.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejazd View Post
Yes. Along with Peggy PNM, who has no relation at all. Let each PNM, and chapter, stand on their own merits, here and now, and be free to make their own choices and be supported by all.

If you want to recognize the coincidence of family relationships, do it after you pledge Patty or Pammy, when you initiate her.
So are you saying we should get rid of giving any special consideration to legacies?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think the organizations themselves consider it more than a "coincidence" and regard it as a unique way to bring something extra to the sisterhood.

But if the time has come that it's unsustainable even at the relaxed level of having to invite a girl to second round and if you like her enough to put her on the bid list, she has to be on the first one, maybe it's time.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

For some families and for some organizations, it is more than just a "coincidence."

There was a great article called "The Legacy of Legacies" in the summer issue of the Theta magazine. It explained that "legacies are a subject near and dear to Thetas' hearts."
Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
For some families and for some organizations, it is more than just a "coincidence."

There was a great article called "The Legacy of Legacies" in the summer issue of the Theta magazine. It explained that "legacies are a subject near and dear to Thetas' hearts."
And personally, I hope that for all groups they can continue to be an important part of things. But it seems like it gets harder and harder as things get bigger and bigger in terms of the number of people going through, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I just thought of something that might work for schools that have a problem that have to cut legacies because there are more legacies going through then what they can take.

Just like many schools have a few "free" juniors/seniors that don't count towards quota, what about having a legacy system similar to this? Even if it was just 5, 6 girls thats still something....or is this just a horrible idea?

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
I just thought of something that might work for schools that have a problem that have to cut legacies because there are more legacies going through then what they can take.

Just like many schools have a few "free" juniors/seniors that don't count towards quota, what about having a legacy system similar to this? Even if it was just 5, 6 girls thats still something....or is this just a horrible idea?
I had thought the same thing. However, there is the argument that this might allow the big chapters to become bigger etc.

Now if there was a way you could guarantee each chapter would receive the same number of "free legacies" it might work.

And for what it is worth, *in general*, IFCs tend to think of legacies as "free" since there aren't quotas or total.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
And personally, I hope that for all groups they can continue to be an important part of things. But it seems like it gets harder and harder as things get bigger and bigger in terms of the number of people going through, etc.
I agree. I went to a school where this wasn't really a problem, so I've learned a lot from reading this thread. I think there are a lot of important questions to look into.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
One of my chapter sisters was adopted along with her identical twin sister. They went to different schools and her sister went ZTA. It never occured to me that their younger sister, bio-daughter of their parents, could possibly not be considered a legacy to both groups.
Hmmm what an interesting question. Would their younger sister be a legacy? I wonder if a HQ has ever tackled THAT issue, or how that would be specified... adopted sisters??
Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Adopted sisters are legally sisters. So yes. Carnation has several adopted children who have joined sororities. Their younger siblings are all legacies to their adopted sisters' sororities, as well as being a legacy to Carnation's sorority. If you legally share the same parents, you're sisters.

ETA: Step-siblings, however, are not automatically counted as legacies in many sororities. I think this is changing with many groups, as blended families are becoming more of the norm.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-27-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith4Keep View Post
Hmmm what an interesting question. Would their younger sister be a legacy? I wonder if a HQ has ever tackled THAT issue, or how that would be specified... adopted sisters??
ASA legacy policy includes adopted and step families.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe coincidence is a strong word...I'll try to think of a better one.

The legacy issue is so near and dear to all of us...but I'd like to think that all NPC legacies bring something special to whatever NPC group they join in that they are carrying on the NPC tradition and bringing all of us closer together as Panhellenic sisters.

My mom was initiated into a different NPC at the school she attended...her experience was hers, but I know her love and lifelong dedication to her GLO inspired me to love and be dedicated to my sorority! My sister attended yet another school and chose another GLO. Add in the aunts and cousins and there are a lot of NPCs represented in the gene pool!

Darn it, I specifically ordered up GPhiB legacies both times I was pregnant and still got these stinkin' boys. I wonder what the stats are on boys marrying girls who are members of their mom's NPC???? I can dream, can't I?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Darn it, I specifically ordered up GPhiB legacies both times I was pregnant and still got these stinkin' boys. I wonder what the stats are on boys marrying girls who are members of their mom's NPC???? I can dream, can't I?
Boys are easily influenced.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, bejazd, depending on the ages of those boys, I might have a deal for you, lol.
Hey, I know - Greek Chat can start an arranged marriages thread!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm quite guilty on this one. Three pregnancies, three boys, zero legacies! My oldest will be a HS junior this year, and is he even considering a college with an AOII chapter? Of course not, but I'm not even close to giving up. If I don't get a legacy by birth, there's always marriage, right?