GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,478
0 members and 2,478 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Formal vs. Informal

Now who here thinks that rush could be a better process? At our school we have a formal rush for women and an informal rush for men. This means that women go through rush week while mens rush happens over the summer before autumn quarter. Sure there are problems with both, but I would have to say that the informal rush can help you get to know people a lot better.

For example... In a recent post there was talk about one girl rushing a sorority and talking about how she thought she had a good conversation. A good conversation? Seriously. Uless the goal of sororities is to body rush people, this seems to be a horrible way to meet people. Granted both ways can get people in the "right" house, but some old traditions aren't necessarily the best. Numerous times greek women have talked to me about they like informal rush better because it makes them seem special and not just another girl. And as a guy, if you make a girl feel special then she likes the atmosphere a lot better.

So I say... Make em' feel special. If for only one moment in their entire life. "...Cause that's all life is sister! A series of moments!"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2002, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
There are ups and downs to both. For freshman and transfer students, I highly recommend formal/structured recruitment because it familiarizes them with each GLO and also allows them to make new friends on campus. For some sophmores and juniors who are very familiar with the campus and know a lot of Greeks, they may already know where they feel comfortable, so informal/COB may be best.

I encourage people to try formal/structured recruitment. Even if they drop out and/or end up going through informal/COB later, it's still a good experience.