GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,727
0 members and 1,727 guests
No Members online

Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

WSJ Article on Sorority Dues and Child Support

I don't know who reads The Wall Street Journal on this board, but I found an article about how divorced parents in some juristictions are shelliong out money for the entire college experience. This is because in some states, child support extends beyond age 18. In at least 16 states, divorce court judges are allowed to direct parents to pay their kids' college tuition. In most cases, it means tuition/living expenses. However, some other places it is extended to other things, including clothes (Virginia) and GLO dues (Mississippi). In a recent case in Iowa, the state Supreme Court decided that college isn't just about classroom learning, but also a cultural experience, which will cost more for students.

What do people think? Should parents be responsible to help their kids with their GLO dues?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't necessarily think "responsible", but my parents did and I will help my future children if they choose to become a member of one.

I think the point is more that parents should realize that college does extend beyond books and tuition and that there is a price for it. Which is probably hard for parents, especially parents of 1st generation college students, to understand. In my opinion the Iowa Supreme Court was right in ruling that college is a cultural experience. That is the best way I can think of to describe it. I have not read anything about it and I am sure some of the legal minds here will have some input on it.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I think it's pretty sad when people in GLO's have their parents pay dues for them. Being in a sorority or a fraternity isn't like getting an education or having clothes to wear. It's not a necessity. No one ever tells you you absolutely HAVE to join a sorority or fraternity. It's a choice that we all made. If you want to be in a GLO, you know that you have to pay dues, and you should assume financial responsibility for it. GLO's are supposed to teach us to be mature, responsible adults, so how can we do that if we have to come to our parents and ask them to pay for our dues? I admit that I'm pretty spoiled and my parents pay for a lot of stuff, but they would never pay for my sorority dues, and I don't ask them to. I have a job, and pay them out of my own money.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
Personally, I think it's pretty sad when people in GLO's have their parents pay dues for them. Being in a sorority or a fraternity isn't like getting an education or having clothes to wear. It's not a necessity. No one ever tells you you absolutely HAVE to join a sorority or fraternity. It's a choice that we all made. If you want to be in a GLO, you know that you have to pay dues, and you should assume financial responsibility for it. GLO's are supposed to teach us to be mature, responsible adults, so how can we do that if we have to come to our parents and ask them to pay for our dues? I admit that I'm pretty spoiled and my parents pay for a lot of stuff, but they would never pay for my sorority dues, and I don't ask them to. I have a job, and pay them out of my own money.
That's a damned big assumption.

Lots of kids do things for their families that prohibit them from working over the summer, and many parents would rather pay for their kids' college (and other expenses) than have the kids be working jobs at all hours and have no free time to study.

I don't see how paying GLO dues is any different than parents paying for new clothes every week or a car. You don't "need" either of those things in college either.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
ok, so the fact that my parents wanted to pay for my sorority dues is sad? i'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that. i didn't ask my parents to pay for anything, they wanted to. they didn't have that experience and they wanted me to get out of going away to school, everything that i possibly could, including being in a sorority. i'll also admit that i'm very spoiled, but i don't think that the fact that they paid for my sorority dues is a bad or sad thing.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I don't see how paying GLO dues is any different than parents paying for new clothes every week or a car. You don't "need" either of those things in college either.
Depending on where you go to school there's a very big difference. Where I go to school, there's pretty much nothing around, and the only way to get anywhere is to drive. As soon as kids are allowed to have cars on campus, they bring them up. It's hard to find a job on campus or across the street, so in order to have a job while at college, people pretty much need cars here.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe they are being required to pay GLO dues. Yes college life is an experience, but there are certain things that a student should be responsible for on their own. If a parent chooses to pay your dues, consider yourself fortunate. But to REQUIRE that a parent pay for this is pretty extreme. I am a 1rst generation college grad, my parents still do not fully understand the significance of the college experience. They provided me with a small savings account, but told me that if I wanted to go to school, get a job. I am very proud that I worked my way through school. If I have children, I plan to give them more financial support than I received, but I would definitely not foot the entire bill.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

Quote:

Depending on where you go to school there's a very big difference. Where I go to school, there's pretty much nothing around, and the only way to get anywhere is to drive. As soon as kids are allowed to have cars on campus, they bring them up. It's hard to find a job on campus or across the street, so in order to have a job while at college, people pretty much need cars here.

And from all of the schools I have visited, you are required to wear clothes to class. So I would say a car and clothes are in fact necessities.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
When I went to college, I realized that I was an adult and I wanted to be treated as such. I paid for 99% of my expenses when I was in college by myself. I think that if someone wants to go Greek they should have the financial means to do themselves, without relying on someone else, including their parents.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slickwilly95991
And from all of the schools I have visited, you are required to wear clothes to class. So I would say a car and clothes are in fact necessities.
I said "new clothes every week" not clothes, period. Please read before posting...kthxbye.

There are people who live their entire lives and never own a car. Cars are not a necessity for everyone. A lot of people just like to make believe that they are.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Personally, I think it's pretty sad when people in GLO's have their parents pay dues for them.

I never made my parents pay my dues. They paid them because they wanted to.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
That's dumb........my parents paid because they knew it made me happy. I also worked and made extra money so I would be able to help with whatever little bit I could.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

It's unfair to say that all students should pay their GLO dues. What if you're at a school where you live in the chapter house and also have a meal plan at the house? Those are necessities.

The largest chunk of my dues are for room & board and my meal plan at the house, and my parents pay that. They also pay for my chapter dues. I have two jobs and spend that money on clothes, food, etc.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TNPhiMu
Quote:
I guess I'm in the "pretty sad people in GLO's" group. My mom worked extremely hard through high school and got tons of scholarships so that her family wouldn't have to pay tuition. She paid for everything EXCEPT GLO, because that was her mom's gift to her through college. And now, I worked extremely hard through high school to get my scholarships and last time I checked it was my bank account that covers the rest of tuition. So really, I don't think i should be considered "sad" because my mom wants to pay for dues.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:06 PM

No, I don't believe parents should be held responsible for their children's GLO dues. Joining a GLO is a choice made by the young man or woman, and the young man or woman should accept all the obligations that come with that choice - including financial ones. If the parents choose to help out, great, but it shouldn't be forced on them.

If a court has ordered that parent(s) pay for room and board, and the young man or woman joins a housed GLO and lives in house, it shouldn't matter that the "room and board" check is going to XYZ Fraternity/Sorority rather than the university - the parents should still pay for the portion related to room and board. But things like regular dues, initiation fee, badge fee - things that each member would have to pay whether the chapter had a house or not - should be the young person's responsibility unless the parents offer to pay.