GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,514
1 members and 1,513 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

A Stamp for Marvin Gaye??????????

Marvin Gaye Stamp Petition Drive Winding Down
Sun Sep 21, 3:00 AM ET

LAUNCH Radio Networks

Time is running down for the "A Stamp For Marvin" campaign which is being spearheaded by the Los Angeles Chapter of the Motown Alumni Association. Fans of the legendary singer are being asked to write letters of support by September 25 to the Citizen Stamp Advisory Committee, a group of independent citizens appointed by the Postmaster General who meet four times a year to review more than 40,000 suggestions for commemorative stamps. The stamps are issued to honor anniversaries, important people or special events. According to the Postal Service, individuals must be deceased for at least 10 years before they can be considered for a commemorative stamp.

Ron Brewington, executive director of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Motown Alumni Association told Eurweb, "The committee has turned down Marvin for a stamp several times. No reason for the denial was given." Brewington is hoping the commemorative stamp will be issued on April 2, 2004--the date which would have marked Gaye's 65th birthday.

Marvin Gaye (news) was accidentally shot and killed by his father while trying to protect his mother on April 1, 1984, the day before his birthday.

Supporters are asked to sign and send a letter or postcard, including the words: "I SUPPORT A STAMP FOR MARVIN GAYE" to:

Los Angeles Motown Alumni Association

6305 S. La Brea Avenue, Suite 3

Los Angeles, CA 90056

Gaye has received numerous honors, including induction in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy Of Recording Arts And Sciences (NARAS), two Grammy Awards, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they ought to replay Gaye's rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner, which he sang at the 1982 NBA All-Star game at the Forum in Los Angeles.

For me it's still, by far, the best "homeboy" version of the anthem I've ever heard.

....before that, I never knew you could cabbage-patch to the anthem.
~ Luke 19:10