GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,410
2 members and 1,408 guests
No Members online

Old 03-30-2012, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Recruitment

I plan on transferring to either University of Georgia or Clemson. Being in a sorority is very important to me. I, however, am unsure if rushing as a sophomore will make it difficult to get into a chapter I love. Do they generally accept sophomores even if the sophomore lacks connections? I know Greek Life is huge in the south and would love to be part of it.

Last edited by transfergirrl; 03-30-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigh.

No one here will tell you any information about sorority rankings at any school. It is considered rude and immature to ask about rankings. You should go into recruitment with an OPEN MIND, and appreciate the opportunity to be a member of any of the organizations on these campuses.

Read:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=112718
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=clemson
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=clemson

Edited to add:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...as+a+sophomore
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=125372

Sophomore stuff:

Use the search function.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 03-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll be honest with you, honey. At any of the many schools you've mentioned, a sophomore transfer with no connections is going to have an uphill battle getting into any sorority. You need to get that dream about being a top tier girl out of your head and open your mind to all possibilities.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I'll be honest with you, honey. At any of the many schools you've mentioned, a sophomore transfer with no connections is going to have an uphill battle getting into any sorority. You need to get that dream about being a top tier girl out of your head and open your mind to all possibilities.
I was looking for the GC like button.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I was looking for the GC like button.
Me too.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekapoor View Post
At one of my schools that I'm applying to, rush is in the fall the week before school starts and ideally recommendations should be in by May - but the latest is July.
While May is not too early to send a rec, you've got a bigger window that just May. They can be sent through though the middle of July...and really, even after that. As long as they arrive before recruitment work week starts, which is the week before recruitment. Some GCers will swear that it HAS to be there by June 1, but the chapters that will be considering a sophomore with no connections will be glad to get the rec later than June 1.
Again....KEEP AN OPEN MIND. Both these schools have no bad chapters.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 04-03-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I deleted my original post so I could re-post it with a bit more detail. But thanks for the helpful advice!

--

I'm also a transfer student, and I've applied to some different schools. I had my heart set on a big SEC school for a while. But, I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of my other schools (that are up North) before I make the final decision.

The SEC school is very much in my top three, and I'd be nothing but proud to attend that institution. I've went ahead and gotten started with the recommendation letters because I didn't want to be scrambling for them at the last minute. Because I'm from out of the area, I got advice saying that I should IDEALLY have them in by May and up until July.

The other schools, however, participate in deferred rush and may or may not require letters of recommendation. Regretfully, my final letters probably won't get back to me until early July or late June.

Because of this, I'm a bit confused as to what I should do with the recommendation letters? I don't want to waste the recommendation writers time by having them send out a letter to a school I won't attend, but I don't want to put off the process until the last minute. A couple people have told me that I should wait and let them know, and they'll get the letters out. Truth be told, I'm a bit worried that if I do end up going to the SEC school I won't be fully prepared because rushing myself and the writers will not do anyone any good.

Advice?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekapoor View Post
I deleted my original post so I could re-post it with a bit more detail. But thanks for the helpful advice!

--

I'm also a transfer student, and I've applied to some different schools. I had my heart set on a big SEC school for a while. But, I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of my other schools (that are up North) before I make the final decision.

The SEC school is very much in my top three, and I'd be nothing but proud to attend that institution. I've went ahead and gotten started with the recommendation letters because I didn't want to be scrambling for them at the last minute. Because I'm from out of the area, I got advice saying that I should IDEALLY have them in by May and up until July.

The other schools, however, participate in deferred rush and may or may not require letters of recommendation. Regretfully, my final letters probably won't get back to me until early July or late June.

Because of this, I'm a bit confused as to what I should do with the recommendation letters? I don't want to waste the recommendation writers time by having them send out a letter to a school I won't attend, but I don't want to put off the process until the last minute. A couple people have told me that I should wait and let them know, and they'll get the letters out. Truth be told, I'm a bit worried that if I do end up going to the SEC school I won't be fully prepared because rushing myself and the writers will not do anyone any good.

Advice?
You should be nothing but proud about any college or university that you choose to attend, SEC or not. I suggest that you rank the schools that you applied to in order of your preference (consider it practice for preference night) and when you know if you have been accepted to a school, contact your rec writers so they can send out a copy of a rec to that school's chapter. This is not really as difficult as you are trying to make it.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I realized that a little while ago. It's just that choosing a school is so difficult. I think that's where my problem lies! But thanks for your help!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

many if not all sororities accept recommendations via email, so the process is quite quick if the alumna knows the pnm.