GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,514
0 members and 1,514 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Timing

A question came up at AP - why does Ole Miss hold recruitment when they do(October)? I was stumped - any insight?

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 01-04-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Because the University made them move it till then. It was felt the women needed time to adjust to campus and have a clearer idea of how they fit in. Is that really the case? Who knows! It just is what it is....
Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

it has been said that women who did not get the bid that they had hoped for, or got no bid at all, would withdraw from ole miss. by delaying recruitment until midway through the semester, the disappointed pnms are less likely to withdraw.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
it has been said that women who did not get the bid that they had hoped for, or got no bid at all, would withdraw from ole miss. by delaying recruitment until midway through the semester, the disappointed pnms are less likely to withdraw.
Ding ding ding ding ding!!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank ye!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Yes and it was also moved back in fall 1997 (my sophomore year) because the University was pursuing a Phi Beta Kappa chapter (which they did receive finally in 2001.) They wanted to "de-emphasize" Greek Life as well. I think there is a thread somewhere on here about that. I'm not good at searching but I bet some of the good searchers on here could find it.

The sorority advisors did put a proposal together this past fall 2010 to see about moving it back to before school starts. However, I have not heard anything from their presentation and proposal. All 9 NPC groups are on board and I believe all of the Fraternities are on board as well to move it back. They just have to get the University on board, which well, that might take an act of God!

ETA: Recruitment does not always happen in October. It based on when there isn't a home football game. So sometimes it can be late September or early October. They usually try to have it at least 4-6 weeks into the semester.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

i was hoping you would come on and give us the definitive answer. thanks olemissglitter.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Midsemester rush

As a mom to an Ole Miss out of stater going through rush, it is dreadful to have a midsemester rush.

The distraction is immense, the mental pressure on the girls interferes with academics during an important time of the semester. While you can point out that girls are not allowed to miss class for any rush event, the human reactions to the stress of rush are losing sleep, not eating right, unproductive time spent on studies... you could probably list dozens more.

By the time the girls get to Ole Miss for the fall semester they have prepared their package and sororities have had a chance to study them. An August rush is nice, or as a second choice spring rush before the semester starts. This year Ole Miss rush was in late October, way too late.

I am glad to hear all 9 sororities are recommending an August rush.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl View Post
As a mom to an Ole Miss out of stater going through rush, it is dreadful to have a midsemester rush.

The distraction is immense, the mental pressure on the girls interferes with academics during an important time of the semester. While you can point out that girls are not allowed to miss class for any rush event, the human reactions to the stress of rush are losing sleep, not eating right, unproductive time spent on studies... you could probably list dozens more.

By the time the girls get to Ole Miss for the fall semester they have prepared their package and sororities have had a chance to study them. An August rush is nice, or as a second choice spring rush before the semester starts. This year Ole Miss rush was in late October, way too late.

I am glad to hear all 9 sororities are recommending an August rush.
Nothing like making a blanket statement as your first GC post. Just because this was snowflake's experience that she related to you, it doesn't make it so for anyone other than your daughter. Dozens of competitive schools do just fine with recruitments that happen throughout the semester.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I've noticed there are plenty of mean spirited posts to Greek Chat. The same ones who make rush so insanely stressful I suppose. It's a shame when replies reinforce the negative stereotypes of sororities, responding rudely with the intention to be hurtful. I was trying to make a point that academics should be a priority. It's not my first post of course, just the first for flowergirl.
Closed Thread