GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,421
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LeahArguet
» Online Users: 2,535
3 members and 2,532 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-23-2001, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Pref Ceremonie vs. Pref Night

Hey I will be rushing at East Carolina University this fall. I am a little confused though about the difference between preference ceremonies and pref night. My information booklet says that you wear just a nice dress for preference ceremonies but I thought one of my friends showed me a picture one time with the girls all in black dresses. It doesn't say that in the booklet though. Do I need a nice black dress? Also, it gives ideas about what to wear everyday except the first day when we have convocation and a sandwhich dinner. Do you have any suggestions? I would appreciate all of your help. Sorry this is long.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-23-2001, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref ceremony is performed by the Chapter during pref night. We always did the nice black dress thing, and I think every house did the same. Some PNM's just wore dresses or whatever, but most wore black. I went to a midwest school, so it's not as pressured as some other rushes.
Old 07-23-2001, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I went to a Southern school. I wore a nice Sunday-type dress to my preference ceremonies. The sorority sisters wore black dresses, but the rushees didn't have a color code of any kind. Although some wore black, there were just as many of us wearing other colors. Most of the dresses that I recall were simple and stylish, suitable for an evening wedding ceremony. Also, most of them were one solid color. Hope this helps!
Old 07-23-2001, 06:07 PM

Cool

hey pirate,
actually it is the girls in the sorority that wear the black dress. the PNM's can dress how they want but I would say wear something you would were to church or an afternoon wedding.
but here is my funny story about rush: I of course had no idea what to expect at rush or pref or any thing. I wore a black dress with a scarf and a red sweater. I walked into the room and all the sisters were wearing black and I was afraid that I should have worn something different
Old 07-23-2001, 06:12 PM

oh yeah
the difference b/t them is that the pref ceromony is right before bid day. pref night( normally not the same night because you can not drink that night) is the first social held with a frat. ( yeah I know don't say frat.)
Old 07-23-2001, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone thanks for the help. Kdgirlie, one more question would should I wear for this first social? Is it just like the other ones?
Old 07-23-2001, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually I think your confusionis coming up because East Carolina has preference in the morning so they don't really have preference "night".

Most colleges have pref in the early evening.

ECU either went to this change this year or last. I only know of a few other colleges in CA that do morning pref. I think it can be beautiful!

As far as what to wear. For the orientation -typically the sororities aren't there but rho chi's who are in houses are. I would wear capri's or something cute. Not jeans. For pref I would wear a nice dress I always encourage rushees not to wear black because a lot of the sororities do so you will blend in with the chapter. You want to stand out a little so wear a color!

Good luck and keep us updated as you go thru rush please!!
Old 07-23-2001, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
For my Pref Night I wore a nice black dress, and so did everyone in the house I pledged AND most of the PNM's. It's not required to wear a black dress. Just wear what you feel comfortable in.

At my school Pref Night is just the name for the last day of parties. The Pref Ceremony is just a short little thing that the actives do to show the PNM's what the house is like. At my house we do a simple candle lighting ceremony and read poems.

------------------
"We're not good because we're old. We're old because we're good!"
Old 07-24-2001, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Pirate~
I'd definitely go for what kdgirlie was saying about wearing something you'd wear to church or an afternoon wedding. Also you don't want to wear anything like a prom dress because that's too dressy. A dress from Ann Taylor or a similar style would be perfect. For the other days, wear a cute sundress, shirt and skirt, or capris (DON'T WEAR DOWNTOWN CLOTHES). I wouldn't suggest showing your stomach or too much cleavage or leg during recruitment because you're trying to impress girls, not boys. If you decide to wear capris or pants one of the days, make sure you wear them on skit day because you'll most likely spend time sitting on the floor watching the skits. And if you do wear a dress on skit day, be careful not to flash people when you're standing and sitting. If you carry a purse make sure it has a shoulder strap because a lot of times you're going to have a drink (water) in one hand and someone will want to shake your hand. Better yet, leave your purse on the bus.

A couple other tips:
-Smile! Your face muscles are going to be killing you at the end of each day but do it anyway.
-Don't brag about how much you drink and party. That's a huge red flag saying "I want to be in a sorority for all the wrong reasons!"
-Don't go into recruitment with your heart set on one or two houses. Even though you're a sophomore and have probably heard stuff about all the houses, don't rely on that because it's probably untrue. Go into each house thinking "this could be the one!"
-Be yourself. Don't act like someone you're not just to get into the house you think you want. Like someone told me when I went through, "look for the house where you can see yourself walking around in your pajamas."

As for the "pref night" social, that usually occurs a couple weeks after bids have been extended. It's kind of like your coming out party. And your sorority will tell you if you need to wear something special (don't buy anything new, just borrow, borrow, borrow). If you have something before then just wear something you'd normally wear downtown or ask the sisters. Good luck with recruitment!
Old 07-24-2001, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

At Convocation, you don't actually meet any of the sororities. You get your rho chi, meet your rho chi group, and Panhellenic will explain the rules and procedures of Recruitment. So listen closely!!! You want to make sure you know all the rules. You don't want to get kicked out of rush b/c you didn't hear something. This night is the most casual of the Recruitment week. So wear something cute and comfortable b/c you really don't have to impress anyone that night.

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 07-24-2001, 04:09 PM

Cool

hey pirate,
The first social normally the sorority will clue you in on what to wear... If it is a theme or whatnot. but if they don't just dress cute, not overly provocative. Like triSigEcu said downtown clothes.
My other advice is to be your self, that is the only way you will fine your true home.