GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,458
0 members and 2,458 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha Convention question

In the Centennial History, it shows that post WWII that Theta Phi Alpha has had conventions every two years. However there is one exception according to that page http://www.enivation.com/ThetaPhiAlp...History/#180/z

Akron list shown as having occured in 1975 not 1976, so there is a one year gap between Fort Mitchell, KY and Akron and a three year gap between Akron and Pittsburgh.

Is this correct? I could see a shift if 1975 was a major anniversary for TPA, but it isn't. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that to be a typo. It should be 1976.

Edit: For a public source, check out page 76, under Mary Lou's entry. "The Akron, Ohio, National Convention in 1976 made a commitment to keep Theta Phi Alpha alive and thriving by a vote of collegians and alumnae."

Last edited by WhiteRose1912; 07-23-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
I believe that to be a typo. It should be 1976.

Edit: For a public source, check out page 76, under Mary Lou's entry. "The Akron, Ohio, National Convention in 1976 made a commitment to keep Theta Phi Alpha alive and thriving by a vote of collegians and alumnae."
I worked my way through the rest of the Centennial looking for 1976 (what I should have done in the first place). There are several places where it is clear that they are talking about a convention taking place in 1976 hosted by U Akron. I'm going to change it to 1976 and use page 95 as a reference, which talks specifically about *that* convention.

Thanx.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose that's a better reference than the one lowly mention in Mary Lou's tenure summary. Thanks for the work you're putting into this.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
I suppose that's a better reference than the one lowly mention in Mary Lou's tenure summary. Thanks for the work you're putting into this.
Actually to avoid using a contradiction in the same source, I found a September 2008 National Constitution and bylaws that had a convention list with 1976.

Note, it is *very* easy to find the month(s) of the Theta Phi Alpha conventions, they have them all over the place. Finding the exact days within those months is proving more difficult. For example, there are *lots* of places where it says that the 2008 convention was held in July, but the only source that I can find that the 2008 convention started on July 9 (or for that matter on any other day) is here on greekchat and blogs are not appropriate as wikipedia sources.

Also, at least recently it appears that some sources include only the days that had activities and others add the following day that Sisters get up and leave.

The other person to thank is user:msnicolem who is a Theta Phi Alpha sister on a low intensity internship this summer who started dumping *lots* of Theta Phi Alpha information to pages and some other wikipedians have gotten dragged in tweeking it.

Last edited by naraht; 07-24-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Found that one at http://www.southeastern.edu/news_med...on/2008/aug_8/

Note, when you've gotten to the point where you are bringing up copies of the Theta Phi Alpha national web page from 1997 to do research, you either are committed or should be committed.

Most recent year I don't have: 1996

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_Conventions