GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,367
0 members and 1,367 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Letter question

Just wondering what most schools' policies on girls wearing guys letters, such as on a rush shirt. Was looking into ordering them and wanted to get it right. Let me know if you know anything on the subject. Thanks

Matt Perry
Sigep
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM

NPC passed a new unanimous agreement that strongly discourages Panhellenic women from wearing letters of men's fraternities, nor should they be helping men recruit their members. This is due to Title IX issues and our rights to remain single sex organizations.

As far as to how well that is followed probably varies from campus to campus, but it is strictly followed on mine and the sorority women on my campus have embraced it!!

I suggest checking that out with your Greek Life Advisor before you spend money on t-shirts that may not be worn.

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 08-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you
Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
NPC passed a new unanimous agreement that strongly discourages Panhellenic women from wearing letters of men's fraternities, nor should they be helping men recruit their members. This is due to Title IX issues and our rights to remain single sex organizations.
Interesting. I'm curious as to how this would apply to T-shirts printed for mixers, or how it would apply to an NPC member who's been lavaliered/pinned by her boyfriend and therefore has the right (as far as the boyfriend's fraternity is concerned) to wear his letters.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/p...eement%20X.pdf
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgo_withit View Post
I did not know NPC made this. Thank you for posting!!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Interesting. I'm curious as to how this would apply to T-shirts printed for mixers, or how it would apply to an NPC member who's been lavaliered/pinned by her boyfriend and therefore has the right (as far as the boyfriend's fraternity is concerned) to wear his letters.
It addresses those, but does say that the "big letter" shirts should not be worn during fraternity recruitment.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It addresses those, but does say that the "big letter" shirts should not be worn during fraternity recruitment.

That will end up varying from organization to organization too. Theta for example, does not recognize sweethearts (goes back to our founding) and I know while there are some men's fraternities that do recognize sweethearts, there are quite a few that do not.

While I cant comment on traditions and cultures elsewhere, this is a change that is most welcome with the Panhellenic women at Eastern Kentucky because with this agreement, they have the backing of NPC and national/international offices. It is forcing a positive change from an over-programming standpoint because women no longer "feel obligated" to take the time to recruit for men and 3-4 day long philanthropy events will be a thing of the past with the elimination of pageants for sweethearts and the like. Thus it forces the men to recruit their own new members like they should have been doing all along and plan more creative philanthropy events that are not solely dependent on sorority women for success, thus eliminating the lazy excuse," Well we can't make money without pageants."

For my campus Panhellenic and my ladies that I advise, it's a positive and welcomed change. That said, this year will obviously be the first year that this policy will go in to effect so I'm also curious to see how it plays out.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I never really understood why the women were helping the men recruit and it seems like it would just attract men to certain fraternities for all the wrong reasons. Do they want men who like THEM and their fraternities or do they want men who like the parties and women that are attracted to their fraternity? It also seems like it would feed tier rankings.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I never really understood why the women were helping the men recruit and it seems like it would just attract men to certain fraternities for all the wrong reasons. Do they want men who like THEM and their fraternities or do they want men who like the parties and women that are attracted to their fraternity? It also seems like it would feed tier rankings.
That has been the case on my campus for years. This is another reason why I personally embrace this agreement. Hopefully it will lead to more quality men in the Greek system and help the weaker fraternity chapters on my campus anyway get stronger. I'm also hoping it makes positive changes for our IFC that needs all the help it can get right now.