GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,483
0 members and 2,483 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2004, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Themed Recruitment

Okay, I've been trying desperately to come up with ideas for rush. Since I've been a member, our recruitment events haven't been very eye-catching, and I want to change that.

I've thought about different themes, such as the luau, Mardi Gras, and western. I want the decorations and food to fit the theme, but I'm not sure what to have my sisters wear. Like with the western theme, I wanna be cute--I don't want western-style shirts and cowboy boots, ya know?

What do you guys think? When you use themes, do you dress accordingly? I couldn't very well demand that each member go out and buy brand new outfits! Gimme some ideas... Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 PM

Hello sister! Be sure and stop in the ASA forum to say hello.

It all depends what school you are at - at some larger schools, the members buying new things is the norm (as you will see elsewhere in the Rush forum). For western, you could wear jean miniskirts and t-shirts with bandannas for belts (I totally feel you on the no cowboy hats thing) and have cookout type food.

There are lots of threads on themes for rush - you can do a search or if you look in the recruitment stories portion, some of the rushees talk about what the themes were when they went through. Good luck!!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Without knowing more about your geography, campus, or recruitment guidelines, I can't help tons and tons. I can say that my chapter does a kinda-Western theme with a skit based on the Grand Ole Opry. The members wear denim capris or skirts and solid black shirts. Then the chapter buys red bandana material very inexpensively and cuts a piece for everyone to add to the outfit any way they wish - to tie in their hair, around a ponytail, as a belt, wrapped around their wrist - whatever. We do this event indoors but bring in bales of straw, and everyone goes barefoot. These are things most everyone will have in their wardrobe already.

Mardi Gras can be easily achieved by having everyone wear a similar bottom - denim - and split up yellow, purple, and green solid tshirts or tanks, depending on what they already own. Beads are pretty cheap.

Luau - very similar - Bright colored solid tshirts with khaki bottoms. Flowered leis can be purchased online or at party stores inexpensively in bulk. Silk flowers in hair can help too. I'd split the chapter evenly with colored tshirts to make it look more intentional.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Y'all, those are really cute ideas! Thanks! If anyone else has any ideas, please lemme know!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow - never saw this many ASAs in one non-ASA thread!

Our rush chairman dropped out without telling anyone, and I was appointed rush chairman the first day of school (about two weeks before rush started).

One theme that worked really well and didn't tax anyone's clothing budgets was a Safari. Everyone brought down all of their plants, and we covered the suite with them (try to get as many trees or huge ferns as possible - call your friends with apartments) Also, we put a few jungle stuffed animals around (we had some dim bulbs, so we had to specify--monkeys, lions, tigers, but no penguins or bears) For clothing, girls could wear shorts or khakis and camp shirts (short sleeved cotton blouses), hawaiian shirts (not authentic, but hey, it was short notice) and of course, any type of jungle-print or animal-print sundresses, skirts or shorts. Against our President's wishes, I said flip-flops were fine, given the theme. It was different without being weird, and the rushees got a laugh out of seeing a large stuffed orangatang on the piano.

Edit: This could be updated by calling it a "Survivor" party. Could definitely make for some interesting food choices.....

Last edited by LionTamer; 08-20-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it would be really cute and time-appropriate to do an Olympic-themed recruitment-- incorp Athens-like backdrops, pillars, a skit that incorporates the importance of teamwork and being true to yourself "going for the gold." You could follow it up with a fun bid day of field day-like games, and name tags that are lanyards with your letters and laminated "medals" with their names.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the safari-theme idea. I actually considered that, but I was afraid that we wouldn't have enough greenery and plants, that the room would look a lil' bare. I thought using a lotta leopard and zebra prints would be cute, but I just can't decide.

So far, I'm really thinking about the luau and either the western or Mardi Gras thing. I think they would be the most impressive, with decorations and all.

Oh, and with the Mardi Gras theme, what kinds of foods do you guys think should be served? I thought about smaller-than-usual King Cakes (ya know, with the plastic baby placed inside), one for each round of potentials. Whaddya think?