GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,142
2 members and 1,140 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-30-2021, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation These Black Sorority Members Are Speaking Out Against The Racism They Faced…

These Black Sorority Members Are Speaking Out Against The Racism They Faced In Their Chapters

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-in-sororities

After Black Lives Matter protests broke out across the country, sororities promised to do better for their Black members. But many believe the sentiments are hollow.

Click above ⬆️ link to read the rest.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised by the experiences of these women. I give them so much credit for speaking out about their experiences because without awareness of these issues we can't intact change. But it shows that still so much more needs to be done, even before these women get to college.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised by the experiences of these women. I give them so much credit for speaking out about their experiences because without awareness of these issues we can't intact change. But it shows that still so much more needs to be done, even before these women get to college.
Before they get to college, we must demonstrate (not just "present") the value of NPC membership.

Once they pledge, though, they have a responsibility to start conversations if something bothers them. If they fail to mention it, and just resign, or complain later, is counterproductive. True growth doesn't come from "This bothers me; don't do it" but from "Here's how I perceive that, and it hurts me" that will lead to a possible behavior change on all sides.

I and a number of my long-time alumnae friends (most of 20-50 years' membership) are tired of "You have to change to suit me - End of Story" that the NPC language and process changes are pushing.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ this
Old 08-31-2021, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll probably come back to this post, but the onus shouldn't be on the women who are being racially targeted. I guarantee you that there are women in those houses that didn't agree with the negative views, but stayed silent. Those are the women that need to speak up and be true sisters and allies. The women being targeted likely felt like they would face further repercussions for speaking out, because it has and does still happen.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
I'll probably come back to this post, but the onus shouldn't be on the women who are being racially targeted. I guarantee you that there are women in those houses that didn't agree with the negative views, but stayed silent. Those are the women that need to speak up and be true sisters and allies. The women being targeted likely felt like they would face further repercussions for speaking out, because it has and does still happen.
I agree. We don't expect abused children to out their abusers, we expect rational adults to notice signs and report it. There are even some people who are mandatory reporters. If a man sexually harasses a woman openly in a meeting at work, the woman shouldn't have to be the one to call them out. If any sorority sister is doing something racist, it's up to ALL sisters to call them out, not the one who is targeted. Just like with hazing, if you know it's happening and don't stand up against it, you're an accomplice to it. We have to do better.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

It does happen but this is like marriages. I know of several marriages that had almost broken down before one partner or the other came out with a concern or complaint and the other one had no idea there was a problem. Women need to learn to speak up on all issues.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I agree. We don't expect abused children to out their abusers, we expect rational adults to notice signs and report it. There are even some people who are mandatory reporters. If a man sexually harasses a woman openly in a meeting at work, the woman shouldn't have to be the one to call them out. If any sorority sister is doing something racist, it's up to ALL sisters to call them out, not the one who is targeted. Just like with hazing, if you know it's happening and don't stand up against it, you're an accomplice to it. We have to do better.
We're not talking about children here. We're talking about adults, and those who wish to be treated as such.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:54 PM

I wonder if NPC groups will still be all in on DEI if Awesome Alpha happens to take a pledge class that is majority WOC (on a campus where that’s a new thing) and their numbers plummet, leaving them up to their nips in debt with a half-filled house. Will Alpha Nationals stick behind this chapter - who after all is doing exactly what they’ve been told they should do - or will they close them due to lack of members?

I certainly hope it would be the former, but I stopped believing in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny quite a while ago.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I wonder if NPC groups will still be all in on DEI if Awesome Alpha happens to take a pledge class that is majority WOC (on a campus where that’s a new thing) and their numbers plummet, leaving them up to their nips in debt with a half-filled house.
Why would a pledge class with a lot of WOC cause numbers to plummet?

Is that a "thing" on some colleges? To label a GLO as the "ethnic house" that no one wants? I have a difficult time understanding because I'm from Southern California. Seeing a lot of WOC in a pledge class here is not unusual.

True and Constant
Old 09-01-2021, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

Is that a "thing" on some colleges? To label a GLO as the "ethnic house" that no one wants? I have a difficult time understanding because I'm from Southern California. Seeing a lot of WOC in a pledge class here is not unusual.
Thank you. I had a hard time following what was being argued there.

Also, did some people here not read the article?

Quote:
From the article:
Some of her sisters in her sorority, Sigma Kappa, attended the game and, as she played, held up a sign that read: “Token.” The sign meant that Wilson, the only Black member of the sorority at the time, was the chapter’s “Token Black Girl” — referencing an “award” her sisters had given Wilson months prior.

When Alex, whose name has been changed to protect her anonymity, entered one sorority house during recruitment week, she said she heard women whisper, “I’m kind of upset that the Black girl didn’t drop.”

She said her sorority sisters referred to her as “that Black girl” constantly throughout her three-year membership from 2014 to 2017. When she emailed the sorority’s president detailing her experiences with her sisters and asking to be treated with respect, the sorority president responded with an email (which BuzzFeed News reviewed) five days later, where she apologized for her late reply but not for the members’ actions.

Even sisters who are not women of color told BuzzFeed News they were disturbed by the casual racism they witnessed during their time in Greek life. Mackenna, who is white, and was a member of Gamma Phi Beta at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga from 2016 to 2018, told BuzzFeed News racism was omnipresent in her sorority experience.

Mackenna, who declined to give her last name, recalled one sorority activity, where she said she heard her sorority sister say that her favorite thing to do with her dad was drive through poor neighborhoods and watch the “porch monkeys.” Mackenna claims she told board members and was “vocal” about how wrong it was, but nothing was done.

“It was so common for people to say the n-word, whether it was in conversation or in a song,” Mackenna said. “And there was really no shame to it or even an understanding of why it’s wrong, which in itself is concerning.”

Melina Psihountas, a Phi Mu at the University of Missouri from 2017 to 2018, told BuzzFeed News she was the only Black woman in her pledge class, yet her sorority was considered one of the more racially diverse sororities on campus. The sorority’s reputation as “racially diverse” also led it to be considered a “bottom house,” she said. (Phi Mu headquarters did not respond to a request for comment.)

Mary, who is white and declined to give her last name, but who was in a sorority in the South, said that during recruitment week in 2015 when she and her sisters were deciding who to let in, several women shared microaggressions toward the Black potential new members.

“I just remember hearing women who I thought I shared similar values with say things along the lines of, ‘We don’t need women like that in our chapter,’” Mary said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoID View Post
Once they pledge, though, they have a responsibility to start conversations if something bothers them. If they fail to mention it, and just resign, or complain later, is counterproductive.

I and a number of my long-time alumnae friends (most of 20-50 years' membership) are tired of "You have to change to suit me - End of Story" that the NPC language and process changes are pushing.
The burden should 100% be put on WOC? Is that what we're really saying? Because that's what it sounds like.

We don't want DEI training, and we don't want to change how we operate, and we want to put the burden completely on WOC. And then we're going to be annoyed when they resign and don't put in any hard work?

Pleeeeaaaaase tell me that we all see the irony in that.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-01-2021 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

I imagine any chapter labeled as the "ethnic house" may be rejected as "too different" and/or "unacceptable" by the closed-minded students/PNMs doing the labeling.

It brings to mind my campus decades ago, when one sorority chapter after another closed after becoming THE house that ended up with the most Jewish pledges (even though these chapters were not of Jewish origin nationally).

And from various postings on that site, I gather it still occurs that chapters full of awkward/unattractive/unusual women are often rejected by closed-minded students/pnms, causing said chapters to dwindle in size and close.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoID View Post
Before they get to college, we must demonstrate (not just "present") the value of NPC membership.

Once they pledge, though, they have a responsibility to start conversations if something bothers them. If they fail to mention it, and just resign, or complain later, is counterproductive. True growth doesn't come from "This bothers me; don't do it" but from "Here's how I perceive that, and it hurts me" that will lead to a possible behavior change on all sides.

Could not disagree with you more. It is NOT the responsibility of a black (or any non-white) new member to educate the entire chapter on why it’s racist and disrespectful to give her a “token black girl” award, to use the n-word or other racial slurs, to dress in black face, etc. Just using examples the women interviewed cited from their sorority experiences. Really? It’s THEIR fault for having to address the fact that being called “that black girl” or “n-word” bothers hurt, hurts her, and makes her feel excluded and unwanted as a member?? You’re blaming the victim?!

How about chapters need to be including diversity & inclusion programming every single semester so that all sisters are aware of their own biases and possible racist behavior / thoughts, so that they can not only be good citizens of the world, but allies to all women - especially any women of color in their chapter or who may pledge in their future. I am not calling all sorority women racist - not at all. Many thousands of allies are in houses and alumnae groups all over the country, they need to stand strong with courage and demand appropriate programming and education and model what it is to be an ally.

You and your 20-50+ year alumnae friends need to take a hard look in the mirror at yourselves if you’re the ones actively campaigning against diversity & inclusion initiatives. I know I see the comments on DG’s Facebook page. If you are engaging in the sort of racist behavior shown to the women in this article, then yes YOU DO NEED TO CHANGE TO SUIT THEM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Adults need to learn to speak up My daughters and I talked a lot about the racism and sexism they would face when they went to college. I told them it's not right to not speak up and then suddenly go raving to the media years later.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Could not disagree with you more. It is NOT the responsibility of a black (or any non-white) new member to educate the entire chapter on why it’s racist and disrespectful to give her a “token black girl” award, to use the n-word or other racial slurs, to dress in black face, etc. Just using examples the women interviewed cited from their sorority experiences. Really? It’s THEIR fault for having to address the fact that being called “that black girl” or “n-word” bothers hurt, hurts her, and makes her feel excluded and unwanted as a member?? You’re blaming the victim?!

How about chapters need to be including diversity & inclusion programming every single semester so that all sisters are aware of their own biases and possible racist behavior / thoughts, so that they can not only be good citizens of the world, but allies to all women - especially any women of color in their chapter or who may pledge in their future. I am not calling all sorority women racist - not at all. Many thousands of allies are in houses and alumnae groups all over the country, they need to stand strong with courage and demand appropriate programming and education and model what it is to be an ally.

You and your 20-50+ year alumnae friends need to take a hard look in the mirror at yourselves if you’re the ones actively campaigning against diversity & inclusion initiatives. I know I see the comments on DG’s Facebook page. If you are engaging in the sort of racist behavior shown to the women in this article, then yes YOU DO NEED TO CHANGE TO SUIT THEM.
^^This^^ Also I just want to elaborate on my response this behavior doesn't happen in a vacuum of sorority life, and there is a need for DEI on college campuses, I think too more of these difficult discussions need to happen before these students get to college.

Even though some posters on this thread might be upset these women are airing their grievances to the media, while this might be a small group I am sure there are plenty of others who have had negative experiences. The bottom line is there is so much room to make changes and provide a safe and welcoming experience for every member.