GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,428
0 members and 1,428 guests
No Members online

Old 05-16-2005, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
I also wanna add and I hope no one finds this offensive, but for the most part, an undergrad degree don't mean didly squat when you are first starting out. Many new grads expect to be starting out with a CEO salary for their first job. It just isn't like that. Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and take that really low entry-level position. If your skills are great, you should be able to advance in no time. I know people who have been outta work for long periods of time and 99% of the time it's because their expectations are not in this reality of what they are qualified for.
This can really depend on your experience as well as the school and the degree/reputation of the actual school, i.e. Blah Blah School of Business.

While it is true that a lot of people come out of college hoping to get huge salaries, this is highly unlikely. There aren't enough of those jobs around for all the college grads. But every now and again, someone lands a decent job with a great salary, I did. But I base it on the fact that not only is my base salary great, I have the potential to rake in huge bonuses.

If the degree is relevant to the field you are looking to get into, it means something, it means a lot. Internships help but they don't outweigh the degree.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-16-2005, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

While I agree that the degree matters in MOST cases, I have to say that I know plenty of people who have degrees in something completely unrelated that got their jobs because of their internships or part-time jobs. For me, it was my part-time job. As far as salaries, it completely depends on your field. For liberal arts, you're VERY lucky to start in the $27,000 range, whereas my sister had an accounting degree and actually did start at $40,000. And don't even GET me started on computer engineering degrees!!!

To ZTAwinthopgirl, don't feel like you need to get defensive. Remember, I was in your exact same position 2 months ago. My best advice (and like I said, I was in the same position 2 months ago, so take my advice with a grain) is to find something you really enjoy for now to do on the side, whether it's volunteering, sports, whatever. It will help you keep your sanity, may find you a job (through networking), and if nothing else will boost your Law School application. I wish you luck, and if nothing else you can come crash on my sofa-bed while you look!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:32 PM

Oh no I am not being defensive in any means! It was just something one person said that kind of rubbed me the wrong way and I think we all know who it is but anyways that's a different story, etc. I'm sorry I sounded defensive to those of you who gave good advice. I apologize!!

Thanks CarolinaDG for the sofa-bed offer! I may need it some day! lol!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned

Your undergrad degree doesn't matter in the following cases according to what I have seen:
1) You are well connected.
2) You somehow magically got your foot in the door with the industry
3) You went to a top school (Ivy+)
4) You majored in something very difficult that can transfer over. Engineers are highly sought after in quite a few cases. On the flip side, an engineer can work in finance and very rarely does an art history major get the same opportunity.
5) You want a very low job with little to no skills relevant to your major. Obviously to be a trainer at Ballys you don't need to be a biochemistry major.
6) You went on to get a professional degree. There are quite a few English majors that go on to get law degrees.

But hey what do I know?

-Rudey
--I know a lot

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
While I agree that the degree matters in MOST cases, I have to say that I know plenty of people who have degrees in something completely unrelated that got their jobs because of their internships or part-time jobs. For me, it was my part-time job. As far as salaries, it completely depends on your field. For liberal arts, you're VERY lucky to start in the $27,000 range, whereas my sister had an accounting degree and actually did start at $40,000. And don't even GET me started on computer engineering degrees!!!

To ZTAwinthopgirl, don't feel like you need to get defensive. Remember, I was in your exact same position 2 months ago. My best advice (and like I said, I was in the same position 2 months ago, so take my advice with a grain) is to find something you really enjoy for now to do on the side, whether it's volunteering, sports, whatever. It will help you keep your sanity, may find you a job (through networking), and if nothing else will boost your Law School application. I wish you luck, and if nothing else you can come crash on my sofa-bed while you look!

Last edited by Rudey; 05-17-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Rudey.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:19 PM

The program I am in allows me to get my Associates in Paralegal Studies at Greenville Tech and then lets me go on to get a Bachelor's degree in either Pre-Law or Public Administration.

I am now leaning towards a Public Administration degree based on what GeekyPenguin said. I figure IF I don't get into my top pick (which I don't even know yet . . . still researching the best school for entertainment law programs . . . if anyone has advice on that one please post it) I can go onto get a master's in Public Administration. I can either work in government or teach at a college.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Your undergrad degree doesn't matter in the following cases according to what I have seen:
1) You are well connected.
2) You somehow magically got your foot in the door with the industry
3) You went to a top school (Ivy+)
4) You majored in something very difficult that can transfer over. Engineers are highly sought after in quite a few cases. On the flip side, an engineer can work in finance and very rarely does an art history major get the same opportunity.
5) You want a very low job with little to no skills relevant to your major. Obviously to be a trainer at Ballys you don't need to be a biochemistry major.
6) You went on to get a professional degree. There are quite a few English majors that go on to get law degrees.

But hey what do I know?

-Rudey
--I know a lot

I completely agree (did I ever give the impression that I didn't?) I would fall in the number 2 position. And now, because of my work ethic and the fact that several "important" people have noticed how good I am (*toot*), I shouldn't have any problem finding my next job, despite the fact that I'm in a marketing field without a marketing degree.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ztawinthropgirl
The program I am in allows me to get my Associates in Paralegal Studies at Greenville Tech and then lets me go on to get a Bachelor's degree in either Pre-Law or Public Administration.

I am now leaning towards a Public Administration degree based on what GeekyPenguin said. I figure IF I don't get into my top pick (which I don't even know yet . . . still researching the best school for entertainment law programs . . . if anyone has advice on that one please post it) I can go onto get a master's in Public Administration. I can either work in government or teach at a college.
Why do you need another degree?

If anything, why not just go get a masters?

-Rudey
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Why do you need another degree?

If anything, why not just go get a masters?

-Rudey
I gotta agree, where's the sense in getting another degree? Most schools don't even have a major in "pre law", people who go to law school have majored in everything from communciations to biology to engineering to musical theater. It's not going to make you any more marketable. I can understand that you had bad grades, but it doesn't seem like a good balance to go back to school solely for the purpose of upping your GPA. Work and get real world experience for a few years, take an LSAT class and kick ass on that. I don't see how another undergrad degree is going to do zip for you & you'll have to answer the question as to why over and over again. Get a masters in something... same effect in raising your grades, but makes you look like you're making progress and not stepping back.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

From my own law school application experience I know that only undergraduate classes affect your undergraduate GPA (obviously) which is the one that LSDAS (I think that's the correct acronym) posts along with all your other information.

While of course a law school will look favorably on your success in a masters program, some may make a first cut solely on numbers (GPA and LSAT) before considering specifics. Does this mean I think you should go back to get a pre-law degree? Not necessarily. I just wanted to make sure you knew that a masters GPA will not be counted into the one law schools see when they come pick up your info from LSDAS.

If you want more specifics, feel free to PM me. If I am mistaken, somebody please correct me (I'm doing this all based on memory)!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I would guess that they would look at your FIRST undergrad degree, not your "second". The second wouldn't technically be considered an undergraduate degree per se. There's no "do-overs" in college. I think it would be more favorably looked upon if you got a masters in something rather than trying to do over your undergrad.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ztawinthropgirl

If you want to work at a college, especially in something like student affairs or admissions, I believe a masters in higher ed administration would work better than public administration.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I would guess that they would look at your FIRST undergrad degree, not your "second". The second wouldn't technically be considered an undergraduate degree per se. There's no "do-overs" in college. I think it would be more favorably looked upon if you got a masters in something rather than trying to do over your undergrad.
Don't certain schools also look at the success (or failure) that you've had in the professional world after undergrad? I mean I could be wrong but I think certain schools look at that type of thing as well?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
Don't certain schools also look at the success (or failure) that you've had in the professional world after undergrad? I mean I could be wrong but I think certain schools look at that type of thing as well?
yeah, they do! That whole LSAC number thing- where they take into consideration your LSAT score and undergrad GPA and make some number- is used a lot for people that they don't have to take a closer look at and know they can admit them. But for other people they do look at what you've been doing with your life, your rec letters, personal statement, etc.

That being said, it's HARD to get into law school right now, for anyone. Even with good grades and good LSAT. Law school's not for everyone
Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
That being said, it's HARD to get into law school right now, for anyone. Even with good grades and good LSAT. Law school's not for everyone
i heard there is an over saturation in the field....is this true?