GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,183
1 members and 1,182 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I know George Mason University in Fairfax, VA is also looking for one and they just hired a new one where I work.

Last edited by SthrnZeta; 03-05-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Nazis
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
I know George Mason University in Fairfax, VA is also looking for one and they just hired a new one where I work.
Who is your informant?!? We only found out about it on Monday!

If anyone is looking to apply and wants to know more about Student Activities/Greek Life at Mason, feel free to PM me.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Quote:
BUMP

I just applied to Drexel's online program in Higher Ed Admin with grad certificate in student development and affairs. I currently work in an alumni relations office and I am the faculty/staff adviser for a fraternity here. I've also just started as the co-adviser to the recruitment chair of a local chapter of ZTA. Since I can't do a grad assistantship in this program (they do co-op's instead) I thought I'd try to just get as much experience as possible, even before my degree (to help me get into the program and let the admissions committee know I'm serious!).

Any thoughts on how employers might view this approach...? My diploma will just say Drexel University but I'm sure it'll come out in interviews that I did online (my husband is Army so it made more sense to do it this way). Any thoughts on my path???
I supervise the Greek Life at my campus.

I think it depends on how you word it on your resume. At larger schools with very competitive applicant pools, it might not look as strong as someone with 2 years of a GA as Pahnel or IFC advisor. So, it does depend on who is else is applying for the same jobs you are and again, how you add it to your resume. When I got my first job as a Greek Advisor, all my experience was as a chapter advisor. I used that to say yes, I know about Greek Life and it's different aspects (as far as working with the councils). That combined with my other student activities experience got me the job.

I listed the chapter advisor experience under "Work and Related Experience" on my resume and not as a side note under volunteer experience.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Who is your informant?!? We only found out about it on Monday!

If anyone is looking to apply and wants to know more about Student Activities/Greek Life at Mason, feel free to PM me.
I have an alumnus friend who is in the know
Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb1874 View Post
I supervise the Greek Life at my campus.

I think it depends on how you word it on your resume. At larger schools with very competitive applicant pools, it might not look as strong as someone with 2 years of a GA as Pahnel or IFC advisor. So, it does depend on who is else is applying for the same jobs you are and again, how you add it to your resume. When I got my first job as a Greek Advisor, all my experience was as a chapter advisor. I used that to say yes, I know about Greek Life and it's different aspects (as far as working with the councils). That combined with my other student activities experience got me the job.

I listed the chapter advisor experience under "Work and Related Experience" on my resume and not as a side note under volunteer experience.
Thanks for the tip - that was kind of my plan going along. While working here I plan to get as much experience as possible and also as a collegiate chapter adviser even though my job is actually in the alumni office (I've gotten friendly with student activities )
Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

How do you think employers feel about hiring someone who is a member of a chapter on campus? Would it make a difference if that person was from that exact chapter?? For example, if I applied at GMU for the FSL Director, having gone to Mason and been a ZTA there, would it impede my getting hired there?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Quote:
How do you think employers feel about hiring someone who is a member of a chapter on campus? Would it make a difference if that person was from that exact chapter?? For example, if I applied at GMU for the FSL Director, having gone to Mason and been a ZTA there, would it impede my getting hired there?
It can a disadvantage. It will really depend on how you present yourself. You would need to show that you can separate yourself from the chapter. Unless there have been problems with previous FSL directors showing favoritism (and I mean real favoritism, not the common calls of "you play favorites" that we all tend to get that are not real), it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's important during an interview to not keep referencing your chapter, but keeping it general. Saying "in my experience, this has been the case..." instead of "when i was advising zeta, this is what I did...." Makes a big difference.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb1874 View Post
It can a disadvantage. It will really depend on how you present yourself. You would need to show that you can separate yourself from the chapter. Unless there have been problems with previous FSL directors showing favoritism (and I mean real favoritism, not the common calls of "you play favorites" that we all tend to get that are not real), it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's important during an interview to not keep referencing your chapter, but keeping it general. Saying "in my experience, this has been the case..." instead of "when i was advising zeta, this is what I did...." Makes a big difference.
I'm sure you're right in that it's how you present yourself on paper and in person, but would it be an immediate red flag if you were reading a resume and thought, wow, she's a Zeta from THIS SCHOOL, albeit, she graduated several years ago and most likely doesn't know any of the current collegiates...
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychTau View Post
I can see how marketing/communication would help you in getting a job as an admissions coordinator/recruiter for a college (it's all about selling the university!), but I don't see how it would help in Greek Affairs.

The program where I got my Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology had a track in Student Personnel (or something very similar). The students in that program took the same classes as we did the first year, then branched off into different classes the second year. Their degree was less hours than ours, however. The counseling classes they took helped them to learn how to deal with people and problems, and developmental issues of that age group.

I wouldn't mind working in student affairs...it would put me close to my counseling background without having to get into the seriously mentally ill.

PsychTau
OK...this is kinda random, but I was looking through this thread from the beginning and totally forgot about posting in this thread in 2004 saying that I would like to work in student affairs. I actually made the career leap from psych several months after I posted that and I'm now in my 6th year as a Greek Adviser. What ultimately helped me get the job was that I could take all of my experiences in my job and my sorority volunteer staff position and show how I could use them in a Greek Advising role. My job is stressful and I work WAY more than 40 hours a week, but I love it!

PsychTau
Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OK...this is kinda random, but I was looking through this thread from the beginning and totally forgot about posting in this thread in 2004 saying that I would like to work in student affairs. I actually made the career leap from psych several months after I posted that and I'm now in my 6th year as a Greek Adviser. What ultimately helped me get the job was that I could take all of my experiences in my job and my sorority volunteer staff position and show how I could use them in a Greek Advising role. My job is stressful and I work WAY more than 40 hours a week, but I love it!

PsychTau

And I can say from our off-line interaction that your love for it shows. I am impressed by your wealth of trans-fraternal knowledge and can tell that your students are lucky to have you.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

PsychTau
Where in VA are you?? I'd love to talk to you more about this career - IM me on AIM at this screen name whenever you get a chance
Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I found it to be a bit difficult at times to work at a school with a chapter of my org, especially when they were in trouble. I always wanted to give them special treatment but had to separate myself from the situation and look at it from the perspective of the office and not as a member of the org. It took some getting used to. I think I would have had a hard time at my own university, especially if I'd still known women in the chapter.

As for getting the degree online, I'd think you'd be fine as long as you're getting some experience somewhere. All of my interviews last year focused on development theory and how I saw it played out in my workings with students.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My application to Drexel University is complete (with an extra letter of recommendation thrown in for good luck). And now I wait...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Winthrop University Greek Life Advisor position

Here is the link to the job posting.

I know its states today is the cut off, but I am sure they will keep it open for a good candidate:
http://www.winthrop.edu/uploadedFile...FAIRS_4610.pdf
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question, if it was asked I'm sorry but I didn't feel like reading through 8 year old posts for it. I'm thinking about changing my major. What would be a good under grad major to apply to a students affairs related program?