GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,495
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, jacksonfrances2
» Online Users: 1,553
0 members and 1,553 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2003, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Devilish1 Send a message via Yahoo to Devilish1
Rushing at Penn State

Hey! I posted a message looking for Penn State greeks in the main forum but haven't found any yet! Anyway, I was reading another thread in this forum about rushing as an upperclassman and wanted some opinions from PSU greeks on it. I am a going to be a junior at Penn State and really want to be a part of the greek system! I am under the impression that Penn State does "freebie" juniors. Am I correct? Are juniors less likely to get a bid? (I'll be here an extra year anyway) I really want to rush but don't want to be cut out because of all of the freshmen. Please help, any opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2003, 06:14 PM

I can't help you with your question,
but I would like to wish you the
best with recruitment. Make sure
to keep us updated on your experience.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Hi I will be assisting the chapter adviser when I can & a prospective AI for the same GLO. I just wanted to say Good Luck with recruitment...w/ 20 houses I'm confident you will find your home.

To get answers to some of your ???s try some the following below: (hope this helps)

A) Check w/ Panhellenic council to find out if upper classmen are or are not counted against houses "Freebies" during formal recruitment.

B) Find out if there are any info sessions scheduled before the recruitment dates? If so they should be able to tell you what you need to know and what to wear etc.

C) If there aren't any info sessions, I would check with the Greek advisor on campus; perhaps s/he can point you the right way if the info isn't listed on the school webpage. Most GLO sections of campus websites will list a contact # and or email for the Greek advisor (some please correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited for typos.

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 07-26-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I'm bumping this back up, because I know we have people that can answer these questions!

Also, if you want to find out more about rush, the GC rush forum is one of the best sources on the internet. Check out the numerous 'advice' threads and the 'Questions' threads.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
feel free to contact me with any penn state questions. i'm a pi chi this year so pretend you don't know my affliation

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 08-16-2003, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
So are you going to rush????
Old 10-05-2003, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

she didn't end up going through recruitment. i don't know much other than that. . .

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 10-06-2003, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

So how did rush go? What was quota, and how many groups got it (or got near it)? What percent of girls matched?

Are there still a lot of drop outs? Are most of the PNMs still sophomores? When I was there, very few girls rushed as freshman, because so few girls knew about sororities before they got to school.

How did ASA do? Did any of the girls in your group go Sigma Kappa? If so, how hard was it to bite your tongue and not to tell them that they were making a great choice? (or vice-versa, if they would have been great Sigma Kappa material, and they were leaning toward going elsewhere)

(forgive me if you've told all this on another thread already - my brain is like a sieve)
Old 10-18-2003, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
One of my best family friends that I have grown up with is a Freshman at Penn State this year. She is super cute and awesome and would make a great COB

I emailed the President of Alpha Phi there and never heard anything back about it. (from what I have heard, they typically COB) I was kinda surprised because I at least thought I would get a noncommittal thank you email. Hopefully they made quota and she was too shy to want to email me abou t it.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

LionTamer, as far as i know ASA made quota. in fact i think pretty much everyone made quota. it was either 18 or 19.

IheartAphi i'm also pretty sure that alpha phi made quota, and didn't COB. i haven't really heard of anyone COB'ing this semester. you should encourage your friend to go through spring recruitment, or even have her go through next fall. penn state's recruitment is very sophomore friendly.

as for being a pi chi, it was one of the best experiances i've had in the greek community. i loved my group, they were total sweet hearts!!! 2 of my girls ended up in sigma kappa. one of them only pref'd us and had to decide whether or not she wanted to be greek. that was when it was hardest to bite my tongue. i did though!!! she decided to do it, and she's one of our best new members, and she's totally obsessed with the sorority!

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 11-02-2003, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
Well, she really wasn't interested in going through rush and didn't know I emailed my chapter there. She was interested in Greek life though and would have been more comfortable going through COB. She is in ROTC there.

That is so awesome that so many groups made quota. I like that its lower, because it makes each group more initimate.

I am glad you had a great time with rush.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Devilish1 Send a message via Yahoo to Devilish1
Update!

Hey girls, sorry I've been MIA. Lots of busy stuff this semester. I did not rush in the fall, and I am definately kicking myself in the rear for it! You see, I prefer Spring rush because it is more laidback and you can get to know the sisters better instead of having only a limited amount of time to get to meet the girls. However, I did not realize that juniors are not "free" in the Spring like they are in the Fall. So now I'm kind of disheartened because I definately, 217% this time, want to rush in the Spring. If I don't it will be too late (I'm a junior) and I'll regret it forever. (Even though I am a junior I will probably be here an extra year - definately an extra semester at the least).
Another thing that worries me is that because so many groups made quota they will not be participating in Spring rush or won't have many spots open. There are only slightly more than half of the houses rushing this term I believe. I'm still looking forward to finding a great home!

Last edited by Devilish1; 01-24-2004 at 03:29 AM.