GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,751
0 members and 1,751 guests
No Members online

Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! My daughter was so nervous, but actually LOVED recruitment. Report back and let us all know how it goes! I remember being a basket case -- it's really fun being on the "other side" and seeing all the work that goes into it. The sororities are just as nervous as the PNMs!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello, add another Mom to the list for 2017 IU recruitment. Just spoke to my DD said her first four went well. Tomorrow is the killer day 11 houses. Already plans on changing the shoes she was going to wear. Do to all of the walking!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! That's fun that there are two of us!

Yes - some wardrobe changes for tomorrow for sure. Cold AND 2-4 inches of snow! My DD will add layers and different boots (Uggs? Sperrys? Not sure!) for the day.

Overall, a solid start for her. She felt like conversations were good and has now seen what the whole thing is about. She is gaining some confidence with experience. She liked some better than others, of course but I know she's paying attention to the details and is engaged in each house.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

IUMomma, if there is snow on the ground Uggs are a bad choice. They get wet, then really cold and the salt/brine that is put on the roads and sidewalks will stain the suede. I would recommend some type of snow boot that won't get wet. Tomorrow will be a very long day, being warm and comfortable will make it a little more bearable.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Saying 60% chance of snow in B-Town tomorrow. Thanks, for the advice giving DD last minute tips and told her to go to bed! Will let you all know after Open Invite Day 2 ends Close to 8:00 pm
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Snowy and cold in Bloomington this morning! She opted for extra socks instead of different boots. I tried. Maybe she will change her mind after the lunch break!

Last edited by IUMomma; 01-05-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

She should be OK. They shovel really well down there and they take buses most of the way between houses anyway.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

She's in her snow boots now - they are cute and warm Sperrys that she got for Christmas. I feel better
Old 01-05-2017, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomma View Post
She's in her snow boots now - they are cute and warm Sperrys that she got for Christmas. I feel better
She's not the only PNM that changed shoes at the break. A friend's daughter also changed to her heavy duty Bean boots. She said that she realized looking cute wasn't worth frostbite. :-)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll bet!

I have a question about this round. In a couple of houses, she and another PNM have been rushed by one active. She feels like this puts her at a disadvantage with the other PNMs. I haven't rushed on either side since 1990, so I don't know what to tell her. She was ok with it for a couple of the houses because they weren't at the top of her list. Then came the last one and she was so disappointed.

Anyone have any advice I can give her to talk her off the ledge? She's about to go into her last party for the night, so I will text her after.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Waiting to hear from DD! I hate the waiting.....

IU Momma, last night at one house my daughter was double rushed by a Senior and Sophomore. Another house only one girl touched base with her.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Herd back from DD, said she had a great day! Very tired. Felt she had good conversations with many. Felt that some girls where lacking on enthusiasm in certain houses and she was able to tell. Let her know they may be just as tired as her.

She took my advise on boots and all worked out

Last edited by IUpnmmom; 01-05-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

IUMomma, tell your daughter not to be too disheartened by the 2 PNM vs. 1 Active situation. It does happen occasionally in smaller houses or when there are more PNMs in a group than actives at a given party. Tell her not to read too much into it. This first round is really hard because there are SO many houses and so many girls going through. It gets better and better as the rounds go on. I remember hearing stories like this last year - every house does things differently and it is very confusing to the PNM at times.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for the feedback! Once she was back in her room and I was able to talk to her I think she's feeling a little better. We will see what happens tomorrow when they get their first invite list!

It is COLD in BTown this morning! The windchill was -2 when she left her dorm. Insane.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

the recruitment groups are of varing size (some have 57 women and another had over 90). Double recruiting is just the nature of recruitment. It is not anything personal to be double recruited.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God